By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Retro Games Thread (was: Atarians and other retro gamers assemble!)

JazzB1987 said:

Isnt this your ex-stepbrother?

Well "my" fist system was a Commodore 64. (we never had the monitor as far as I know we always used TVs)

Then came NES and Original Gameboy.

(I was too lazy to look for 2 pictures so I took this one)

Isn't this one the original Game Boy?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
JazzB1987 said:

Isnt this your ex-stepbrother?

Well "my" fist system was a Commodore 64. (we never had the monitor as far as I know we always used TVs)

Then came NES and Original Gameboy.

(I was too lazy to look for 2 pictures so I took this one)

Isn't this one the original Game Boy?

It is but as I explained I was too lazy to look for/use a NES and Gameboy picture so I took the easy route and just googled NES GAMEBOY and used 1 picture that somewhat combines both.  Its flawed I know :)

DaRev said:

Best thread on this site!

I had an Atari 2600 I believe and a ColecoVision, both of which I was too young to really appreciate at the time. Therefore, for me, gaining started with arguably the greatest console of all time, the NES.

I hope the thread gets Official.

So when can we start discussing specific games

And some naysayers denied its POWA!  Or the POWA! of retro on here, equaiting it to home improvement of all things

spurgeonryan said:
I would like to join! Qatari, NES, gameboy, Apple II, and various early Microsoft and IBM computers were my systems of choice. Loved IBM and the floppy based AppleII.

What are peoples favorite developers from back in the day?

For me, on the Atari 8bit computer, Synapse Software was epic.  They just nailed it back in the day.  Original EA was epic to, with about everything they did being a huge hit.  I still have a place for M.U.L.E.  Of course, I find Sid Meiers to be up there, and on the PC would end up being Microprose (though their start on the Atari 8bit was real good to).

Arcade side, Atari was almost always a winner.  Them, Taito, Exidy, and forgive me who else, really set the mold.

Another question would be: What are the essential arcade makers of the day?

And let the discussions about particular games begin!

spurgeonryan said:
At my high school one of the professors had some original computer system that played Adventure. Still a fun game to this day. I beleive that is the name. The text rpg. Bbc micro or amiga?

Do you know who made it?  It could be Zork, if not Adventure.  If it had a grue, it was Zork.  A grue creature made more sense than a bottomless pit, was the reasoning of the designer who worked on Zork.  And speaking of grue and text adventures...

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Mummelmann said:
I had a Commodore 64 and an Amiga 500 after that, good times! I also enjoyed the Atari Lynx, the only handheld I ever liked.

Been playing a lot of PC games since Ultima and Warcraft 1, but Betrayal at Krondor, Stone Prophet and Lands of Lore was what really made me crazy about gaming! And the old Lucasarts classics of course, point & click was da shizzle back in the day.

Betrayal of Krondor I remember worrying about that since i loved the rift war saga , but they did a good job and Fiest who I have met  was pleased .

I replay it once a year, finally found a perfecly working version on Good Old Games! Fantastic game, so advanced and ahead of its time, good combat, incredible story and awesome characters, I have a particular fondness of Jimmy the Hand (then again, all Feist fans do...).

By the way, here is another one involving text adventures. Interested in a new take on a party game? Fire up this party game spin on text adventures, PARSELY!:
http://memento-mori.com/online-store/parsely-games/

When Text Adventure were popular I was too young to understand them. When I was old enough to play them there were graphic adventure like Monkey Island. As a result I have never successfully played beyond "You are in a room with a locked door".

Was in my local game store the other day and someone had just traded in RE2, RE3, RE Code - Veronica, Twin Snakes and a bunch of other classic GC titles. I was very very tempted to pick them all up, and they were reasonably priced

but... I hesitated for two reasons - 1) I didn't have the spare funds and 2) I most likely would never play them. I still haven't played RE(make) and RE0 on Wii nor my GC versions of Eternal Darkness or Beyond Good and Evil. Criminal I know.

In the end I picked up Midway Classics instead - Joust, SpyHunter, Rampage, Gauntlet, Defender, Paperboy, Rootbeer Tapper and about 14 other arcade classics. Joust and SpyHunter are two of my all time favorites and I'm overjoyed to have them at my beck and call and unlike the RE collection, I will play the living hell out of these games.