By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Shares Have Risen After PlayStation 4 Announcement

Well I can't say that I didn't see this coming

Around the Network
pezus said:
Seriously...this is almost less than normal fluctuations.

Yeah, I agree. The rise and fall of shares is probably mainly meanngless. But as everyones copies useless and stupid artiicles that in some form bash the console of manufacturer someone dislikes, I think the OP is completely OK.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Carl2291 said:
Youve been on a bit of a roll with your Sony/Nintendo threads since PS4 announcement. Whats up?

This particular blip is meh. Im surprised by it though. Id have thought it would be the opposite. The PlayStation 4, a console that none of us have actually seen, already has better third party support than the Wii U. Developers are onboard. Thats what matters in the long run.

Innovative new controls, improved DualShock, development ease, games that graphically blow everything away and a release window. Sony are onto a winner

Investors always find something to pick on. Nintendo shares also fell after their awesome Nintendo Direct a few weeks ago^^

Panama said:
Is pointing out the obvious a bannable offence on these forums?

No, if that were the case I would have been out of here a long time ago.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

pezus said:
Vinniegambini said:
Sadly, I believe that the PS4 will be Sony's demise if they do not change their business model and marketing strategy.

As seen through the press conference, Sony is focusing on the core gamer, much like the Vita, and it will turn against them. Furthermore, the system will be over 40 000 yen, judging by Japanese reports. Consequently, the system will not be competitively priced for the mass market where Nintendo and Microsoft offerings will be available at a cheaper price. In addition, next-generation games will also be available on the PS3 (Watch Dogs, Destiny, etc) - Sony has failed to convey the message as to why the consumer must jump on the next generation hardware, the PS4, if it offers nothing more than better graphics and social interactions, doing so at a premium price - it needs that 'I have to have it feature' - much like the Kinect and the Wii remote did to their respected consoles.

Nonetheless, it's too early to judge as we only know a small fraction of the bigger picture. Sony needs to bring their 'A' game, and that goes for Nintendo and Microsoft as well for E3. It will be very interesting.

Nintendo shares are up on the fact that the PS4 hardware will be expensive compared to the Wii U thus giving Nintendo the advantage in price point for the consumers.

Much like PS1, PS2 and PS3 you mean

The jump from PS1 to PS2 and PS2 to PS3 was much more different compared to PS3 to PS4.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Vinniegambini said:
Sadly, I believe that the PS4 will be Sony's demise if they do not change their business model and marketing strategy.

As seen through the press conference, Sony is focusing on the core gamer, much like the Vita, and it will turn against them. Furthermore, the system will be over 40 000 yen, judging by Japanese reports. Consequently, the system will not be competitively priced for the mass market where Nintendo and Microsoft offerings will be available at a cheaper price. In addition, next-generation games will also be available on the PS3 (Watch Dogs, Destiny, etc) - Sony has failed to convey the message as to why the consumer must jump on the next generation hardware, the PS4, if it offers nothing more than better graphics and social interactions, doing so at a premium price - it needs that 'I have to have it feature' - much like the Kinect and the Wii remote did to their respected consoles.

Nonetheless, it's too early to judge as we only know a small fraction of the bigger picture. Sony needs to bring their 'A' game, and that goes for Nintendo and Microsoft as well for E3. It will be very interesting.

Nintendo shares are up on the fact that the PS4 hardware will be expensive compared to the Wii U thus giving Nintendo the advantage in price point for the consumers.

Much like PS1, PS2 and PS3 you mean

Times have changed, I'm afraid.

IMO the PS4 has nothing new to offer besides graphics; and with the actual graphics standards, the masses are ok.

People are still confused about what console Nintendo has?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Busted said:

this is better, and that is weird, maybe because of the PS4 specs? i mean seeing it will obviously cost more and the industry is going to be in the position it was with Wii/PS3/360 ... mm i don't know but i'm ok with this ^^ - isn't going to damage sony

It's probably down to a couple of reasons:

1) They've continued to not learn any lessons from the PSP compared to the DS, the PS3 compared to the Wii and the Vita compared to the 3DS. They've gone overboard with the specs YET AGAIN and will be releasing a console that's either going to be much more expensive than the competing consoles or, if not, will be sold at a considerable loss. They could end up with another Vita on their hands.

2) The eye candy qualty gap is nowhere near the same as the leap from SD to HD.

Raising the RAM from 4GB to 8GB of GDDR5 is a mistake. There's no way that the PS4 is going to retail for less than $400 or £350 unless they're going to make a huge loss on each console sold. If Nintendo cut the price of the Wii U by 50 dollars/pounds in November and have a game like a 3D Mario or X raising the Wii U bar in terms of eye candy both the PS4 and the 720 could have serious problems, although Microsoft are in the better position in that their finances are in a much better state than Sony's so can afford to lose more on each console sold.

Guys, seriously.... the numbers are still low, but it´s a small hint that while Nintendo shareholders may still feel confident about the company (remember that we just had another Nintendo Direct 3Ds in Japan yesterday), Sony shareholders seems a little concerned of how Sony may perform in the next months.
It doesn´t mean much, actually, right now. But if the trend continues for, let´s say three or four days then we will need to pay attention to what´s happening with both companies stocks