By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

Colocho said:
So if true, and those demos were created using gimped tools (1.5G), does it mean the final game wil have "sub par" graphics or can they still use the improved dev kits??? (Sorry, not very knowlegable in the tech field)

Likely.... neither.  Or at least... not sub par compaired to games released shortly afterwords since graphics always increase as a gen goes on.

Killzone isn't the most Ram dependent game out there.   

It has relativly few assets so it needs relativly little ram to look it's "best".

The backgrounds are actully popped out 2D.

Ironically the most impressive games graphiciaclly from a technical viewpoint might not end up being the best looking games.

Around the Network

Also when we're talking about "RAM for games"....

People do know that games need GPU ram and CPU ram and graphics cards tend to have a ram maximum right?

osed125 said:

Kinda hard to imagine how all this multitasking things take 4 GB of RAM. I still think this is way to much for games atm. Like disolitude was saying, Battlefield 3 on ultra takes 2 GB (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

But either way, 4 GB is really a lot. I want to see how games (especially 1st party ones) will use all this RAM (if they ever use it all).

If you build it, they will use it

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

they said vram its not the same as ram :S

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network

This should mean that the launch games indeed will have a pretty big azz difference from the mid-late games.

The OP title is wrong... It's 1.5GB for VRAM alone... the Devkit have more RAM.

ethomaz said:
The OP title is wrong... It's 1.5GB for VRAM alone... the Devkit have more RAM.

But

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712366&postcount=111

1.5 available for graphics, thats kinda' what im getting at.

"1.5GB RAM for graphics" doesn't say anything about main RAM size and total RAM available for games.
1.5GB just for graphics is quite a normal size, considering native res will be at most 1080p, but now, with 8GB total, they can increase it to 3GB without any problem and still reserving to games more main RAM than what can be available to them on 32bit versions of Windows.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think KZ3 was mostly targeting 2GB of RAM... now they have way more to work with