Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

RAMsplosion!

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
n-skyline said:
if Sony can change it last second then expect Microsoft to do the same

Tis true.

superchunk said:

This fits my theory that this change in RAM is exactly why we didn't see a PS4 in the box yesterday. They are busily changing all the innards to address the new RAM chips and that of course will change the entire design of the rest of the system from cooling, power, and of course physical shape/form.

ORRRRRRRRR

Only 4GB is reserved for games and the other 4GB is for all the other shit they mentioned. O_O

+1

This is EXACTLY the case and when people find this out this E3, people will be disappointed as usual because they allowed themselves to be hyped as usual.  The WiiU has 2GB of memory, HALF of which will be used for the OS alone.  The same could very well be used for all of the other features/OS the PS4 would use.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

regin2005 said:
superchunk said:

This fits my theory that this change in RAM is exactly why we didn't see a PS4 in the box yesterday. They are busily changing all the innards to address the new RAM chips and that of course will change the entire design of the rest of the system from cooling, power, and of course physical shape/form.

ORRRRRRRRR

Only 4GB is reserved for games and the other 4GB is for all the other shit they mentioned. O_O

+1

This is EXACTLY the case and when people find this out this E3, people will be disappointed as usual because they allowed themselves to be hyped as usual.  The WiiU has 2GB of memory, HALF of which will be used for the OS alone.  The same could very well be used for all of the other features/OS the PS4 would use.

If they're gonna reserve that much for the OS it better be damn near instantaneous for everything to open/close/load/download/upload/stream

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

regin2005 said:
superchunk said:

ORRRRRRRRR

+1

is this wishful thinking ?

even win7 doesn't use that much RAM (it's usually at about 1.3-1.5 GB in my system) and as a comparison, the 360 OS used 32MB (while playing games) and the PS3 OS 50MB link

a more realistic hypothesis is this: Sony didn't know whether or not they would be using 4GB or 8GB ram, so they shipped dev kits that limits devs to using 2-3GB of v(ideo)Ram, so that they create games with enough Ram left for OS/other processes in case the final hw had 4GB

final dev kits ofcourse will be shipped with the 8GB specs in mind

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
regin2005 said:

HALF of which will be used for the OS alone.  The same could very well be used for all of the other features/OS the PS4 would use.

is this wishful thinking ?

No, general stupidity spreading as the wait for E3 hype starts.

It is really weird to watch all those stupid popping up

Only 1.5GB? Wow imagine what they'll do with all the extra ram!

Wait, those 1.5 GB are what devs have been using (for the demos shows at the conference) or those are the final numbers that games will be able to use?    

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:

Wait, those 1.5 GB are what devs have been using (for the demos shows at the conference) or those are the final numbers that games will be able to use?    

"Less than that. Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics"

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712366&postcount=111

in addition

When we refer to RAM in earlier devkits, we are speaking explicitly about video memory. Some of these articles written by Kotaku confuse readers by talking about System and Video memory as one large bank which is not the case. As far as I know it went like this: 

1st Devkits: 2 GB of RAM (1.5 GB Video Memory)
2nd Devkits: 4 GB of RAM (3+ Video Memory) - if I am reading this right, decision was made in September to up it, and machines were shipped in January. 

Finally, Cerny's promise: 8 GB of RAM (6 GB Video memory at max since 176 GBS / 30 = 5.86)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48190632&postcount=103

So it looks like the third devkits with 8GB RAM are yet to ship, or hadn't by January. And presumably the KZ:SF demo was created on the first round of kits (as was anything created before Jan).

Again, grain of salt with all of this.

osed125 said:

Yep, its incredible.