By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

forevercloud3000 said:
yea, its called buy digitally. You do know the only reason that feature was even added to the 360 was to save the lens from overheating the system, and subsequent RROD right? Made no sense to me that tyou install it to the HDD, just to have to always have the disc in to play. DO they still do that????

Why do you continue to blatantly lie about the xbox?

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Sharu said:
disolitude said:
This is good news for the whole futureproofing of PS4.

But before people start saying this is an immediate game changer and how Killzone would look 5X better if they had 8GB ram to work with...please ask me how much RAM a game like Battlefield 3 uses, completely maxed, and running on 3 screens on PC at 5760x1080 resolution.

Hint - its less than 4 GB.

Yeah, I thought the same... Now my PC is 4Gb of RAM... If I'll change it to 8 the games will not be 2x prettier, just a little bit faster loading... Only software on my PC which uses a lot of RAM are big soundbanks which should be in the memory while I'm working with them... So all the hype about extra RAM looks very strange to me from the gaming point of view...

Yea I have 16 gb of ram.  there is so much wasted ram sitting around doing nothing no matter how much shit i'm doing.

Yeah but remember, Windows is designed as a desktop operating system that utilises page memory. In other words, managing slower ddr3 memory in Windows is completely different to having 8gb of GDDR5 in a custom system with little O/S overhead and unified for one never changing hardware spec.

I remember when I had my Amiga (still do actually). There was no MMU management in the 68k Motorola and even when this was added in I think with the 68030, there was still no MMU (mem man unit) support in the Ami O/S, but one thing the Ami did have was the RAM disc. You could shift the entire game from the FDD or HDD (if supported by the game dev) into complete RAM by dragging it into the RAM disc. No disc access at all. a very simple yet fast solution for back then. But remember, the Amiga was first envisaged as a game console by its designer, Jay Miner, and Commodore made it into a PC type device. But at its heart, it was for games. 

At their heart, the 720 and PS4 are for games but now with diversification to do the whole loungeroom activity crap as well :). I don't think Sony went from 4gb to 8gb if there was no benefit. One thing for sure, it will allow all that multitasking they were referring to like background downloading, sharing on the fly and so forth.

bbd90 said:

Hi guys, this is my first post on these forums and I just wanted to clarify some things.

First, You can't take a cosole's specifications and compare them directly to the PC counterparts. It doesn't work that way. Today's PCs are exponentially faster than PS360 but yet the games don't look a whole lot different. That's because the PC has a lot of OS overhead and API problems they have to deal with. With consoles you have a single unified specification that you can directly code for so the results will look much better than anything we have seen before (probably mid-late cycle). Reports are saying that Sony is encouraging developers to code down to the metal with low level access to the GPU libGCM style, this means games in the future are going to blow away what the PC is producing today. The PC will always more powerful than a console but the console will always make more efficient use of the components.

Second, the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is a potential game changer. Sony's OS most likely will not take up more than 1GB and that's being really generous because they really went with minimalistic design and tried not to block the developers to harness the power of the system. That leaves 7GB for the games, this will not all be utilized right out of the gate and there is a couple of reasons for that. It's more of a future proofing method because they expect this console to be the focus for the next 7 years but also because as games start to unlock the true power of the consoles it's going to start eating up that RAM rather quickly. If you played The Witcher 2 with Ubersampling or Crysis 3 with the DX 11 patch you can see that once the  high resolution textures are introduced the VRAM starts to become a bottleneck. I think both Sony and Microsoft understand this well enough to equip their systems with ample RAM for the future.

So basically, as PC gamer these things are amazing to see from consoles. Sony (and Microsoft based on rumors) have empraced the PC architecture which will mean better games for everyone. The processing power is nothing groundbreaking but in consoles it's going to really work well and even though we might not see the benefits of having 8GB of GDDR5 right away it was definitely the right call to make. Better to be safe then to be sorry later down the line.

Developers are happy, gamers are happy, now the ball is in Microsoft's court hopefully they will have a console that is equally as exciting.

Good first post. I don't now much but seems you make a good point.

Psyberius said:
n-skyline said:
Chark said:
n-skyline said:

I just assumed changing Ram would be simple seeing as Sony has apparently done so.. I didnt realise changing to a different type of Ram would be so time consuming though, thanks for the info

It all depends and I'm going to say some tech stuff that could be wrong right now. The system would be built with a certain buz size and the motherboard would potentially need to be remade to accomodate it. This could change the size of the system, the heat, power draw, changing the power supply, the heat synchs, the fans, and the case. Then there is the code in the chip works in how the system utilizes memory, and the software code. Then there are all the devs that made a game using the old memory, and those game will have issues either running or won't be able to take advantage of the new specs for years.

MS also apparently had production yield issues last year and if a RAM change messes with any of that, though I'm not sure, it could be pretty rough. Essentially they would have to start making the parts all over to accomodate and delay their console a whole year.

so basically changing the type of ram setup would potentially have a knock on effect that could require other components to be changed also, probably obvious to a lot of people but i didnt know that.. i think we wont have GDDr5 in the next xbox then assuming it has been created with GDDR3

The chance of MS allowing Sony to destroy them graphically this generation now that Microsoft has equalled and almost beat them is doubtful.  I can see MS having several footprints of console and stepping up in order to copy or beat Sony.   I just don't see MS going "here, take back all that market we ganked off you last generation by having a superior machine".

I wouldn't doubt ms to have a few different ideas on hand to react to sony.

Homeroids said:
irstupid said:
Sharu said:
disolitude said:

But before people start saying this is an immediate game changer and how Killzone would look 5X better if they had 8GB ram to work with...please ask me how much RAM a game like Battlefield 3 uses, completely maxed, and running on 3 screens on PC at 5760x1080 resolution.

Yeah, I thought the same... Now my PC is 4Gb of RAM... If I'll change it to 8 the games will not be 2x prettier, just a little bit faster loading... Only software on my PC which uses a lot of RAM are big soundbanks which should be in the memory while I'm working with them... So all the hype about extra RAM looks very strange to me from the gaming point of view...

Yea I have 16 gb of ram.  there is so much wasted ram sitting around doing nothing no matter how much shit i'm doing.

Yeah but remember, Windows is designed as a desktop operating system that utilises page memory. In other words, managing slower ddr3 memory in Windows is completely different to having 8gb of GDDR5 in a custom system with little O/S overhead and unified for one never changing hardware spec.

I remember when I had my Amiga (still do actually). There was no MMU management in the 68k Motorola and even when this was added in I think with the 68030, there was still no MMU (mem man unit) support in the Ami O/S, but one thing the Ami did have was the RAM disc. You could shift the entire game from the FDD or HDD (if supported by the game dev) into complete RAM by dragging it into the RAM disc. No disc access at all. a very simple yet fast solution for back then. But remember, the Amiga was first envisaged as a game console by its designer, Jay Miner, and Commodore made it into a PC type device. But at its heart, it was for games. 

At their heart, the 720 and PS4 are for games but now with diversification to do the whole loungeroom activity crap as well :). I don't think Sony went from 4gb to 8gb if there was no benefit. One thing for sure, it will allow all that multitasking they were referring to like background downloading, sharing on the fly and so forth.

Funny you should mention how PC's have many other things going on versus consoles that are for PURE gaming only thust they use the Ram perfectly

Then you go on to mention on ps4 (as with other current consoles these days) are now doing more things besides gaming in the background.

They are becoming more and more like PC's.  

What I'm confused about is why people are going so gaga over this 8 GB of ram.  Weren't the developers working with 4GB of ram already?  Isn't 4GB of ram being used for games, adn 4gb of ram being used for other things on the console?  Thus it should be no change to developers, they still only have 4GB to work with.  Or did I understand the whole partisioning of the ram for the PS4 wrong?

Around the Network
disolitude said:
makingmusic476 said:
disolitude said:
KBG29 said:
disolitude said:

The only reason that devs are not using 4GB of VRAM is because the market is so small. This is why Epic, Crytek, and id are so happy about this. Right now the mass market is PS3/360 with 512MB and low end PCs with 1GB. This will set the bar much higher and allow them to build games in a completly different way. In no time PC games will be pushing 4GB VRAM, and nvidia/amd will be releasing cards with 8GB, 10GB, 12GB, ect.

Games were not limited to 1.5GB or so because thats all they needed, they were that way because the market was not there. 

I agree, but video memory and GPU performance go hand in hand. More powerful GPUs will surely use 8GB down the road.

On a 1080p resolution and looking at memory bandwith and teraflops performance PS4 is promissing, it is downright technically impossible for PS4 to use 8 GB of memory at once (for VRAM). It would be like sticking 4 GB on intel HD4000 and ask the GPU to push 1080p worth of 4GB memory. 

I do understand this is a unified memory architecture and that GPU/CPU and os need to share 8 GB hence I doubt that the GPU will ever use up more than 4.

Keep in mind that the ps4's 8gb GDDR5 is the system's total ram, while I believe you're talking strictly about the video ram required for these PC games.  That video ram is also coupled with system ram.

My current build is three years old, and it wasn't exactly bleeding edge when I built it, but it has 5gb of total ram.  Granted, the OS requirements of an open platform are much higher, but you get the point.  It's not uncommon to find builds with 8gb DDR3 + 2gb GDDR5 these days.  The more extreme builds I've seen have 16gb DDR3 + 4gb GDDR5.

Also, recall that within a closed system like PS4, developers are able to get more out of the hardware that they would with the same hardware in a PC setting, given known OS restrictions, coding to the metal, and so on.  What may not be possible with the ps4's hardware and 4gb of vram running windows or something isn't necessarily impossible with the ps4 as it currently exists.

I totally agree with what you're saying. My comments were tied to this thread specifically and the idea that Killzone would have looked much better if they were designing it with 8 GB of RAM available.

I can see the frame rate being 60 fps maybe, but other than that I don't see how 4 to 8 GB of ram jump would have made a drastic difference for a game running at 1080p with a GPU like 7850 that PS3 has.

Something like the Nvidia Titan has 6 GB and is a total beast when it comes to raw power. For a GPU like that, this would have been a valid argument, but not for a 7850...

I gotcha.

Honestly, I think GG pulled an Epic and convinced SCE to go with 8gb, so they've probably been workign with 8gb for some time, even if other studios were pleasantly surprised by the announcement.

Increasing the RAM is a good move to increase the console's potential, particularly later in its life.
The only imbecile move would be to decrease it from initial specs, like MS did with XFlop 1, forcing devs to redesign engines when they could (Morrowind, but with also a big compromise, no continuity between indoor and outdoor, unlike Gothic, almost contemporary, but PC-only, where only the biggest dungeons are separated levels, but there is continuity between outdoors and the inside of buildings, even the biggest castles, and smaller caves), or, worse, split game levels into tiny parts (like in Thief III) and even removing features (in Thief III, again Garrett can't swim anymore, like he could do without problems instead in Thief I and II).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

irstupid said:
Homeroids said:
irstupid said:
Sharu said:
disolitude said:

Funny you should mention how PC's have many other things going on versus consoles that are for PURE gaming only thust they use the Ram perfectly

Then you go on to mention on ps4 (as with other current consoles these days) are now doing more things besides gaming in the background.

They are becoming more and more like PC's.  

What I'm confused about is why people are going so gaga over this 8 GB of ram.  Weren't the developers working with 4GB of ram already?  Isn't 4GB of ram being used for games, adn 4gb of ram being used for other things on the console?  Thus it should be no change to developers, they still only have 4GB to work with.  Or did I understand the whole partisioning of the ram for the PS4 wrong?

I guess they are going 'Gaga' because it is 8gb of very fast GDDR5 RAM which is usually reserved for only the video card in a traditional PC setup. In other words, the whole PS4 architecture has a unified very fast memory. It's a good thing. Not sure if I would go "gaga" about it :)

But if I may refer to my beloved Amiga again, its architecture had what was called Chip RAM and Fast Ram. Chip RAM is a bit like a forerunner to the RAM we have on the GPU daughter card. Fast RAM was for only the CPU (680x0 motorola) and chip RAM could be accessed by the custom chipset AND the motorola CPU. But in the case of the Amiga, the Fast RAM was, like I said, only for the CPU.

In the case of todays PC, we have 2 different speeds of RAM. One slower for the system, one faster on the GPU. In the case of the PS4, it's unified. In other words, it's quite a unique architecture. I find it interesting :).

"Less than that. Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics"

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712366&postcount=111

"Phil is a developer, so I would say he speaks the truth."

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712622&postcount=67

Take with a grain of salt, of course. 

Sal.Paradise said:

"Less than that. Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics"

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712366&postcount=111

"Phil is a developer, so I would say he speaks the truth."

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712622&postcount=67

Take with a grain of salt, of course. 

OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

CONFIRMED!11!!!