By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

1.5!!!!!!!!!! i wonder who used that?

Around the Network

It is not a surprise to me, I was expecting 8gb or more ram, so far, all PS consoles had their memory increased by 16 times each gen:

PS1 - 2MB RAM
PS2 - 32MB RAM(16 x 2)
PS3 - 512MB RAM (16 x 32)
PS4 - 8GB RAM (16 x 512)

Hey I don't mind, games was already running well on current gen consoles. The Wii U, PS4 and 720 will have better specs and better looking games. I think the Miiverse and PS4 PSN will be true next gen experiences.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Very nice news..

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Alby_da_Wolf said:
"1.5GB RAM for graphics" doesn't say anything about main RAM size and total RAM available for games.
1.5GB just for graphics is quite a normal size, considering native res will be at most 1080p, but now, with 8GB total, they can increase it to 3GB without any problem and still reserving to games more main RAM than what can be available to them on 32bit versions of Windows.

1.5GB RAM was used for games when the dev kits had only 2GB of RAM. 
They doubled the RAM to 4GB and then to 8GB. It's safe to say that AT LEAST 6GB of RAM is available for games. I'd bet that there is up to 7GB though.

Around the Network
Birimbau said:
It is not a surprise to me, I was expecting 8gb or more ram, so far, all PS consoles had their memory increased by 16 times each gen:

PS1 - 2MB RAM
PS2 - 32MB RAM(16 x 2)
PS3 - 512MB RAM (16 x 32)
PS4 - 8GB RAM (16 x 512)

imagine if they kept that pattern. 

ps5 would have 128gb of RAM