By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BREAKING NEWS: PS4 devkits 1.5GB RAM!!!! [UPDATE]

RUMOR: Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515542

Around the Network

Lot of people obviously don't know how manufacturing process works, so they assume MS and Sony can change specs at their whim so close to release dates.

To those, I sincerely suggest visiting SemiAccurate more often, you'll learn thing or two.

WOW! And here I was thinking it was running on something closer to 3 or so. Color me VERY impressed.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

regin2005 said:
superchunk said:

This fits my theory that this change in RAM is exactly why we didn't see a PS4 in the box yesterday. They are busily changing all the innards to address the new RAM chips and that of course will change the entire design of the rest of the system from cooling, power, and of course physical shape/form.

ORRRRRRRRR

Only 4GB is reserved for games and the other 4GB is for all the other shit they mentioned. O_O

+1

This is EXACTLY the case and when people find this out this E3, people will be disappointed as usual because they allowed themselves to be hyped as usual.  The WiiU has 2GB of memory, HALF of which will be used for the OS alone.  The same could very well be used for all of the other features/OS the PS4 would use.

Nonsense lmao. The PS4 has 8GB of unified memory, it can be used both by cpu and gpu dynamically, there is no fixed part of that set for either chip. For the OS PS4 should not use more than 1.5GB, its not running Windows 8 on the console so OS footprint will not be excessive, the PS3 OS is currently like 30-40MB, no way it will be 50x more on PS4.  It has an extra chip that handles video uploading and streaming aswel.

Rumor Killzone SF was using 128mb ram.

Around the Network
osed125 said:

Wait, those 1.5 GB are what devs have been using (for the demos shows at the conference) or those are the final numbers that games will be able to use?    

1.5GB is what the devs have been using.  In other words, every single thing we saw at the Feb. 20th conference was created using only 1.5GB of RAM.  What we're going to see from now on is going to be unimaginable!

think-man said:

It was actually running on a Gamecube at the 2/20 conference. My sources confirm. 

think-man said:

mang, I heard it was an amazing 256mb :/

Killzone shadow fall confirmed to be run through the gameboy camera

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Sal.Paradise said:
think-man said:

It was actually running on a Gamecube at the 2/20 conference. My sources confirm. 

Sounds fishy.