By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Full PlayStation 4 specifications

SvennoJ said:
joeorc said:
VetteDude said:
Blu Ray confirmed?

BD 6xCAV 

yes it is, since its CAV it will be much cheaper than a CLV option the PS3 used. so good in one case but not good as another CLV would of course be better. but still this is not a bad optical drive. 6x speed and transfer speed. will be fast enough.

Actually CAV is much better for gaming. The current ps3 load times are hampered by the CLV drive because seek times are much longer. The spin speed of the disc has to change when seeking on CLV drives.

The read speed varies, 6x CAV would be between 90mbps at the inner edge to 216mbps at the outer edge.
Or minimum 125% faster then the current 2x CLV ps3 drive, but seek times are far smaller.

Pretty much confirms that the first model of the ps4 is not going to support 4K blu-ray. That would need a 6x CLV drive that can read 8 layer (200gb) discs at least.

CLV drive's are true x speed thus the speed is the same ,so its not bad for Games at all. and yea to get that speed having a 6x speed for your Blu-ray optical drive would be fast enough. weather its a CAV OR CLV

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

Wait... what is the estimated price tag?

Yay!!!

Can't wait to get my hands on a PS4 going to be awesome.

SvennoJ said:
joeorc said:
VetteDude said:
Blu Ray confirmed?

BD 6xCAV 

yes it is, since its CAV it will be much cheaper than a CLV option the PS3 used. so good in one case but not good as another CLV would of course be better. but still this is not a bad optical drive. 6x speed and transfer speed. will be fast enough.

Actually CAV is much better for gaming. The current ps3 load times are hampered by the CLV drive because seek times are much longer. The spin speed of the disc has to change when seeking on CLV drives.

The read speed varies, 6x CAV would be between 90mbps at the inner edge to 216mbps at the outer edge.
Or minimum 125% faster then the current 2x CLV ps3 drive, but seek times are far smaller.

Pretty much confirms that the first model of the ps4 is not going to support 4K blu-ray. That would need a 6x CLV drive that can read 8 layer (200gb) discs at least.

This could also mean some specs could be not the definitive ones yet, but as CAV is better for gaming, they could be waiting for faster, higher capacity CAV BD drives to become cheap enough. And all this could imply PS4 to be launched last to get all Sony wants at reasonable costs.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

M.U.G.E.N said:
"In addition, DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller. Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand."

Yes

you were sacrificed for this lol. or was it Vita? srry mate, i tend to forget. wasn't it just last wk?

OT: can't wait 3 yr's into PS4's life cycle. games are going to kill, and can't wait for ND's game.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
500$+ confirmed! OR huges losses on HW.

People who know nothing about PC hardware really need to STFU.  This would cost around $600 in equivalent PC components if you were really good at it.  At cost this thing probably only costs $500 to make.  So they will probably get an extra discount from AMD and sell it at a little under a $100 loss.  Big deal!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

ethomaz said:

Slimebeast said:

All right, gotya.

Now which core does the PS4 have, GCN or GCN2?

"AMD next-generation Radeon™ based"

I don't know what that means... can be some alias for GCN (Graphics Core Next) or maybe the next-generation Radeon (HD 8000 or GCN2).

AMD expect to release the first GCN2's GPU in Q3 2013... it's the same release window for PS4. Anyway the GCN2 is just a updated in the same arch... not a big change like HD 6000 (VLW5) to HD 7000 (VLW4).

GCN2 is Q4 at the soonest possibly Q1 2014

“Yes, I made that comment. I cannot say anything more than what I’ve already said, really. AMD and its partners are happy with the HD 7000 Series, and it will continue to be our emphasis in the channel for the foreseeable future. I should note that HD 8000 Series has never been so much as hinted at for a channel release. Anything to the contrary is an unsubstantiated rumor fabricated to drive traffic.” – Robert Hallock

http://videocardz.com/39414/amd-confirms-no-radeon-hd-8000-series-until-q4-2013

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

joeorc said:

CLV drive's are true x speed thus the speed is the same ,so its not bad for Games at all. and yea to get that speed having a 6x speed for your Blu-ray optical drive would be fast enough. weather its a CAV OR CLV

CLV is bad for gaming because the rotational speed of the disc has to change when you do random access. It would be even worse for a 6x CLV drive, simple physics. The 2x CLV drive in the PS3 varies from 1600 rpm (reading outer edge) to 3900 rpm (reading inner edge). A 6x CLV drive would have to go from 4800 to 11700 rpm. (current max is about 10000 rpm) A 6x CAV blu-ray drive always rotates at about 4800 rpm.

6x CAV seems the best and cheapest solution for gaming.

Hard Disk Drive 
Built-in

That part is going to effect games a lot more. I expect even more installs next gen.

Eddie_Raja said:
Farsala said:
500$+ confirmed! OR huges losses on HW.

People who know nothing about PC hardware really need to STFU.  This would cost around $600 in equivalent PC components if you were really good at it.  At cost this thing probably only costs $500 to make.  So they will probably get an extra discount from AMD and sell it at a little under a $100 loss.  Big deal!

So $550?

ninjablade said:

ps3 was 499$ and 599$, it had the 360 at 299$-399$ with better looking games, thats what really hurt ps3 and when it all said and done ps3 will hit 90 million, not bad.

Well the PS3 is currently like 70 million compare to the 3DS current 30 million.

So I don't see Hardware Specs & Graphics meaning anything in this day & age if the 3DS is just 2 to 3 years away from out selling the PS3, when the PS3 has a 5 year head start on the 3DS.

And there's a big gap between the 3DS & PS3.

Clearly ninjablade is the only person to care enough about graphics & hardware specs to not buy other Systems.

But as I have always said; 3D will always sale more then 2D, as comparing the first year sales of 3D TVs to HD TVs confirms, and also compare the 2nd year sales and compare the 3rd year sales.

The only way a real Hardcore gamer would care about graphics is if it's IMAX, and NOT crappy HD.

HD is a piece of crap, call me when one of these video game systems has IMAX graphics for 2D gaming.