By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 9th February 2013 (Global Software added)

JGarret said:

3DS outside Japan is disappointing.

The last direct gave much hope that this will change in the course of 2013.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Dat 3DS japan sales...

Probably Nintendo should bundle the WiiU with a 3DSXL, that would apparently get the sales going.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
JGarret said:

The last direct gave much hope that this will change in the course of 2013.

It´ll get better, but in the West, I don´t think we´ll see such a phenomenon like the DS again.A lot has changed since the DS was launched, things that were totally out of Nintendo´s control (mainly the smartphone/tablet explosion).

See, I neither agree with people who say smartphones/tablets will kill dedicated gaming handhelds (as long as there´s a healthy flow of good software) nor with people who say they don´t have an impact..in the West, I can´t see how they´re not having an impact on dedicated gaming handhelds, one can argue to what extent.

Looks like the WiiU got adjusted down by 20K in the US or more. Probably the NPD-data. Upside is, we can celebrate now 1 million WiiU in US - again.

Around the Network

ps3 is reclaiming uk :P

JGarret said:

I was thinking the same thing, maybe M&L4, Luigi's mansison and Mario Golf could boost them soon, Pokemon will for sure.

Nice for the PS3 !

So bad for Wii U and the VITA ... 3DS is on top thanks to Japan because charts 3DS for US and Europe are not high

These numbers back up - if we ever needed more proof - that the pre-order charts need more work doing to them (not that I don't love looking at charts, because I do, it's just whatever method they're using to track pre-orders currently needs revising).

For reference, here's the chart for the final day before all these games released.

Dead Space (360) -> 210k, opened with 247k (overtracked, but not horrifically)

Dead Space (PS3) -> 116k, opened with 137k (a fair bit overtracked in pre-orders)

Sly Cooper -> 110k, opened with 88k (this is the best example about dodgy tracking)

Fire Emblem -> 155k, opened with 169k (actually did better than I thought, but still quite heavily overtracked in pre-orders)

Anyway, onto the actual numbers themselves.  Horrible across the board - as other people are saying - except for 3DS in Japan.  And arguably 360 in NA and PS3 in Europe.  The 3DS numbers are way down on last week despite Fire Emblem releasing (NA = 38k -> 21k; Europe = 41k -> 24k).  So I'm guessing we've changed the way we're tracking it in those regions, since you'd have expected it to go UP with a game release & a bundle).

Vita & Wii-U continue to drag their feet.  It's only going to get worse for both of them throughout February too.

Very nice opening for Fire Emblem in software.  Despite Tbone's thread predicting sales where the most voted option was 250k+ (sorry, couldn't resist rubbing it in :P), I think for the less extreme predictors among us it actually exceeded our expectations.  Certainly my own, in that thread, since I'd predicted 140-160k, so it's done very nicely.

Sly Pooper numbers are a bit disappointing, however, but not completely unexpected, given it was yet another game sent out to die with no marketing.  I can only hope it has legs from here due to the price point, and that Europe gives it a nice boost.  Dead Space numbers also seem a bit on the low side too.

Looking forward to the Japan chart in any case, that should add some spice to the software sales :P

Turkish said:
phinch1 said:
I still think the gap is smaller than 1.5 million, oh well it will pass 3-4 months after the price drop

PS360 gap? Both are undertracked a lot, I think PS3 by even more than a million. These numbers mean there is almost 3m PS3s on shelves.

Yeah I think the gap is about 750k, And the ps3 price cut after the ps4 announcement will just close the zip on the gap once and for all