By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Higher box office gross? J.J.Abrams directed Star Trek 2 or the new Star Wars movie?

Tagged games:

which one drones?

star wars ( Tom cruise vs John Travolta 19 79.17%

Star trek 1 4.17%

New battlestar galactica tv movie 0 0%

Freak space shit! We cant... 3 12.50%

Total:23

JJ Abrams did for Star Trek what needed to be done. He tossed out the boring science and ethics crap and filled it in with awesome epic space action. Basically he Star Warsed up Star Trek.

Now that he is behind the helm of Star Wars we can assume that all the boring politics crap from the prequels will get dumped in favor of epic space action.

So long as he doesn't have a time warp reboot Star Wars I think it's safe to say that the next Star Wars will be as good as the best old Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Star Trek 2 will do well, but I hope with Abrams leaving and doing what he really wants to do (Star Wars), a third Star Trek movie flops.

Star Trek needs to go back to its roots with a good quality SCIENCE FICTION TV show. Special effects and TV writers are so much better nowadays when you look at things like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones ... get some great writers and make a new Star Trek TV show and then expand that into a film series in time.

I think AMC would be a great partner to go with for example.

That would be a dream come true, but it's so unlikely. Remember that Nemesis took in the lowest domestic income of any Trek movie. And UPN prematurely cancelled Enterprise because of low ratings. Studio executives aren't going to forget that. Nor would they ignore the success of Abrams' vision of Star Trek -- which I agree is backwards.

kain_kusanagi said:
JJ Abrams did for Star Trek what needed to be done. He tossed out the boring science and ethics crap and filled it in with awesome epic space action. Basically he Star Warsed up Star Trek.

Now that he is behind the helm of Star Wars we can assume that all the boring politics crap from the prequels will get dumped in favor of epic space action.

So long as he doesn't have a time warp reboot Star Wars I think it's safe to say that the next Star Wars will be as good as the best old Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back.

What Star Trek needs is simply good writers, of which there are plenty.

Not the hacks that wrote Transformers to turn into a crappy version of Star Wars.

Sure you can ramp the action up a bit in Trek, I don't have an issue with that, but Battlestar Galactica was rebooted really well, I don't buy that a new creative team couldn't make a fresh new Star Trek that's entertaining and well written and still Star Trek without selling out the franchise for the Mountain Dew/Doritos munching crowd.

Soundwave said:
kain_kusanagi said:

What Star Trek needs is simply good writers, of which there are plenty.

Not the hacks that wrote Transformers to turn into a crappy version of Star Wars.

Sure you can ramp the action up a bit in Trek, I don't have an issue with that, but Battlestar Galactica was rebooted really well, I don't buy that a new creative team couldn't make a fresh new Star Trek that's entertaining and well written and still Star Trek without selling out the franchise for the Mountain Dew/Doritos munching crowd.

When I sit down to watch a serial TV series in the hour format I want it to have melodrama and mysteries that takes hours or seasons to shed light on. I want moral dilemmas and secrets and all that interesting stuff.

But when I go to a 90 minute movie I want to sit down with a bowl of popcorn and a big soda and see cool stuff happen in the most epic ways possible.

Star Trek on TV is for talking about cultural differences and scientific ethics. Star Trek on the big screen is for KAAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNNNN!

That's why Star Wars movies are so much more popular than Star Trek movies. This year there will be 12 Star Trek movies, but there are less good Star Trek movies than good Star Wars movies and even the worst Star Wars movies are more fun than the almost all the pre-Abrams Star Trek movies.

Star Wars. Just for the fact they seem to keep bringing in young fans on a constant bases, more than Star Trek does. The Star Trek 11 was ok, but lets just say I wouldn't put It In my top 10 StarTrek movies list... and Im a STRONG bealiver that this new SW trilogy is a mistake.

Around the Network

Why is this even a question? The next Star Wars might outgross three Star Trek movies.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Star Wars by about $800m.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Almost spilled morning coffee seeing this.

Star Wars will most likely win the box office success, but I think Star Trek 2 will be more critically well received.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

You used domestic for Star Wars, while using worldwide for Star Trek. In reality, it's more like this (all the following is using your source, Box Office Mojo):

Star Wars (1977): $775,398,007
The Empire Strikes Back (1980): $538,375,067
Return of the Jedi (1983): $475,106,177
The Phantom Menace (1999): $1,027,044,677
Attack of the Clones (2002): $649,398,328
Revenge of the Sith (2005): $848,754,768

Star Trek (2009): $385,680,446

So, yeah, Star Trek has nothing on Star Wars, when the least grossing of the series is one-and-a-half the gross while being 26 years older. And then you have to account for inflation. Using a cheap Google Search for an inflation calculator, you get the following:

Star Wars (1977): $2,836,911,315
The Empire Strikes Back (1980): $1,446,515,253
Return of the Jedi (1983): $1,055,963,798
The Phantom Menace (1999): $1,369,560,867
Attack of the Clones (2002): $804,987,182
Revenge of the Sith (2005): $966,640,488

Star Trek (2009): $403,215,022

While this not only proves the utter mega-succes of the original Star Wars (Avatar can eat s**t) and the original trilogy, it also increases Star Trek's loss to half of the least selling Star Wars movie. Also, the 2009 Star Trek is by far the most successful Star Trek movie, when First Contact (which I find the best personally) comes in second with just $146,027,888 total gross (The Voyage Home has higher domestic gross though, but lacks worldwide)

So to conclude, it is extremely unlikely that Star Trek Into Darkness will outgross the 2015 Star Wars movie, as I don't see evidence of Star Wars's popularity being in any substantial decline.

That said, I'm always as big a Star Trek fan as I am a Star Wars fan though, so I'm highly anticipating the new Star Trek movie. I think it's going to be awesome !

-----

Off topic EDIT: Just for fun I looked up two other monumental movies to see which wins:

Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937): $184,925,486 or a staggering $2,858,146,670 in today's money and Gone with the Wind (1939): $400,176,459 which equals to an amazing $6,394,305,143! Damn, guess we know what movie wins .