By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Calls for Wii U price cut begin after Nintendo financials

Nintendo will cut the price of the Wii U when the last of the 30cent VC game promotions ends. Think of it as a rolling ambassador program. Personally I think they need to cut the price sooner.

Around the Network
Cheebee said:

I think Nintendo's fine. Cutting WiiU's price SO soon would be crazy. And definitely very bad when you take into account consumer and investor trust and confidence.

Besides, another very important point you ought to take into account (imo) is that Sony/Microsoft's next consoles will be more expensive than WiiU currently is, presumably by a VERY significant margin.

So when those release, WiiU will suddenly look a lot more affordable, especially taking into account that by then it will have a very attractive library of big games appealing to different audiences (NSMBU, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Zelda WW, 3D Mario, Pikmin 3, that X RPG, Game & Wario, Yarn Yoshi, plus 3rd party stuff like MH3U, COD, Lego City, Just Dance 5, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, all most likely released or soon to be, by then).

And that's not even taking into account a lot of new games surely yet to be unveiled, and e-shop stuff.

Some people think WiiU's expensive, but when PS4/X720 come out, costing $400-$500, with a tiny library (mostly consisting of games that won't matter either, as with all new console launches, ever), WiiU will be in a very comfortable position, I should think.

And should Nintendo feel the need, THEN they could take measures. Like dropping the Basic bundle, and lowering the Premium WiiU to $299, offering it in black and white. This shouldn't cost them as much, and WiiU should be quite profitable by then, anyway. Such a move, a year after launch, would be very acceptable in the eyes of consumers and investors, and not tarnish trust and confidence. Doing it now, or in a few weeks/months, would, and not be seen as very acceptable. Imo.

I would like to believe this and it's a intelligent argument.  However, I doubt Orbis/Durango will be over $400.   Based on the latest spec rumours people are estimating a $350 price point for PS4 (loss leading but not anything crazy like PS3 was) and 720 will be heavily subsidized by MS 2-3 year subscription model and could even sell for as little as $249 potentially (probably at a small loss).   This would completely screw the noticably underpowered WiiU which, even with a $50 cut would still be $300.

For those saying 3 million is a good number... they are expecting just .94 million in the next three months. What does this tell you? They didn't ship as many as they wanted to in the last quarter, sales have slowed and it's well supplied in stores. I don't think they will miss their forcasted shipments too. This is no good.

chris_wing said:
Nintendo will cut the price of the Wii U when the last of the 30cent VC game promotions ends. Think of it as a rolling ambassador program. Personally I think they need to cut the price sooner.

Wasn't the 30cent thing just a 30-day trial rental?

Soundwave said:

Too soon to cut the price is a bunch of garbage anyways, historically most Nintendo home consoles drop in price quickly.

Super NES - summer 1992 price reduction (about 9 months after launch)

N64 - March 1997 price reduction (6 months after launch)

http://ca.ign.com/articles/1997/03/18/n64-price-drop-points-to-future

GameCube - May 2002 price reduction (6 months after launch)

Wii was a phenomenon that was sold out for 2 years, Wii U clearly is more like the GameCube and N64. The Wii is the exception to the rule fellas, not the rule itself.

Actually the Wii U isn't like any of those and is more of an exception to the rule than the Wii considering Nintendo always sold their systems at a profit. I don't doubt they will cut their price soon but it isn't going to be because that's their stragety like the other systems. It's going to be because they need to increase sales

Around the Network
Soleron said:
chris_wing said:

Oh really, it's a rental?  Well, I guess that's one less reason to buy a Wii U.

chris_wing said:
Soleron said:
chris_wing said:

Uh...pretty sure you keep them. Each title is available to DL for 30 days.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

So this means 3DS is so close to 30mil!!! I thought that number was ship!!!! 29.84mil!!! Thats crazy!!!

It is shipped, How many years must this same conversation go on

Perhaps this simple piece of info should be at the top of each page on vgchartz

Each quarter when Nintendo, Sony and MS announce the quarterly sales figures these are the numbers sole to stores aka shipped and not sold to customers

This conversation has been happing here 100s of times since this site launched, but will people ever learn?

I wouldnt cut the wii U price, but its obvious they need to domething and fast before the xbox360/ps4 start getting major press. Perhaps announce each month for the next year, one backcatalogue game on the wii U will be avialable to download free

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

chris_wing said:
Soleron said:
chris_wing said:

No. It's a WiiU VC trial (very bad choice of words). They offer the game for 30 days at 30 cents and then go up to the standard price.
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Soleron said:
chris_wing said:

I dont' think so.

Its a "trial virtual console" service since the service isn't out yet. The games are .30 and will remain your game, but the sale price for that game only last 30days.

EDIT: Tomatito beat me to it.