By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - We need to talk about the Wii U sales, what happened?

benji232 said:
ulieq said:
benji232 said:
ulieq said:

No new games? Can't sell a system without a game to play.  

I bought a Wii U thinking Nintendo was going to support it in the near term, but they have no plans to release games until mid 2013 to xmas 2013.  So we get stuck with a system that will be 1 year old by the time we get to play a worthwhile game, and that game will have been designed for a system designed in 2010.  If anyone thinks nintendo console generation last past 2015, you'll be crazy.

So you believe that they will release a new console by 2015?

No, I believe they will just let it die out like they did the Wii.

I HIGHLY doubt they designed this very complex gamepad just to support it for 2years and 2months, they definetly designed it for it to last a good 5-6 years. With that being said, skyward sword, both kirbys, xenoblade,  last story and many more (too lazy to go look it up online) is what you call letting it die?

The Wii U is simply a Wii with radeon graphics.  If you think they spent a lot of time designing this system, you are wrong.  I am willing to bet this is the fastest developed Nintendo system ever.  The gamepad is just an afterthought.  Great idea, but they should not have sacraficed system hardware just to get this in at a 300$ pricepoint.

Around the Network

Three problems!

1. Price
2. New controller isn't as interesting as Wiimote.
3. Library isn't impressive and its not getting many of the anticipated 2013 titles.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Gilgamesh said:

Sales this week is practically on par with the Wii, is Nintendo buyers scared to purchase the Wii U because of how the Wii turned out around the end?

Well, as the sales of Just Dance 4 show, the people are already very happy with their Wii.So would they expect the WiiU to turn out like the Wii, they would buy it in masses.

Gilgamesh said:

What can Nintendo do to bring back sales to a acceptable level?

What would you change about the Wii U?

For starters Nintendo could bundle the WiiU with a Wiimote additionally to the gamepad. Secondly, they should make some games, that are controllable with the Wiimote alone. That said, the main menu should be fully accessible without the gamepad.

That and the typical Nintendo-games should help a bit.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ozsman said:
they must have some 3rd party games coming out till there main ones hit....right?

There's supposed to be a 3rd party related ND in February, even though I don't expect any big hitters, there might be something there that will keep gamers interested until the big games come out.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I actually think it will get better for the WiiU when it it is up against the PS4 and 720. Right now it is up against two consoles that are nearly half the price with more established libraries.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:

Wii U  Fit

Is not out yet

I bought the Wii U to play games.  

ulieq said:
benji232 said:
ulieq said:
benji232 said:
ulieq said:

No new games? Can't sell a system without a game to play.  

I bought a Wii U thinking Nintendo was going to support it in the near term, but they have no plans to release games until mid 2013 to xmas 2013.  So we get stuck with a system that will be 1 year old by the time we get to play a worthwhile game, and that game will have been designed for a system designed in 2010.  If anyone thinks nintendo console generation last past 2015, you'll be crazy.

So you believe that they will release a new console by 2015?

No, I believe they will just let it die out like they did the Wii.

I HIGHLY doubt they designed this very complex gamepad just to support it for 2years and 2months, they definetly designed it for it to last a good 5-6 years. With that being said, skyward sword, both kirbys, xenoblade,  last story and many more (too lazy to go look it up online) is what you call letting it die?

The Wii U is simply a Wii with radeon graphics.  If you think they spent a lot of time designing this system, you are wrong.  I am willing to bet this is the fastest developed Nintendo system ever.  The gamepad is just an afterthought.  Great idea, but they should not have sacraficed system hardware just to get this in at a 300$ pricepoint.

That's not how it works dude. Companies spend millions of dollars in R&D (Research and Development), you can't just simple buy PC components and sell it to the public. Console manufactures spend years looking for custom components to reduce heat and watt consumption, and all of those components are custom made. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Let me say this. I bought the Wii U on opening day.

I get home and expect to play the Nintendo Land game.

What? I can't play 2 player?

What? I have to buy a (wii) remote to play 2 player?

What? I have to buy 2 (wii) remotes to play 2 player, and the gamepad is not used for 2 player?

How many people were turned off by this?

ulieq said:
MonstaMack said:

Wii U  Fit

Is not out yet

I bought the Wii U to play games.  

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=wii+fit

Almost 1 out of 2 Wii Owners bought Wii FIt.

Wii U Fit is needed badly.

It's just that simple.

VGhippy said:
I actually think it will get better for the WiiU when it it is up against the PS4 and 720. Right now it is up against two consoles that are nearly half the price with more established libraries.

The release of Ps4 and 720 wont get rid of the Wii U's competition from ps3 and 360... those will still be there. Those releases will make competition more feirce and unlikely good for Nintendo.