By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - We need to talk about the Wii U sales, what happened?

axumblade said:
I really don't think I'd be that concerned about the WiiU yet. There hasn't been a game released recently that has necessarily screamed at consumers to purchase the console. Also, many people are apprehensive to buy a system when there is only 1 or 2 games to peak their interest. Over the next 2 months Rayman: Legends, Monster Hunter 3, and Lego City Undercover might sway a few people.

I think Nintendo Direct this past week also added a reassurance in the system since they showed a lot of really good titles and gave promise of showing off Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart and Smash Bros at e3.

Pretty much this, if Mario Kart or 3D Mario don't help...well that will be time for panic. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Things looked pretty bad for the 3DS, too: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/85877/nine-weeks-in-3ds-sales-have-dropped-to-wonderswan-levels/

And look what happened to the 3DS; it has dominated recently. Because of what? Say it with me, games! (This isn't directed towards you, D21.)

gamezes

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

The numbers will sit low until March when more quality games are released.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

Max King of the Wild said:
VGhippy said:
I actually think it will get better for the WiiU when it it is up against the PS4 and 720. Right now it is up against two consoles that are nearly half the price with more established libraries.

The release of Ps4 and 720 wont get rid of the Wii U's competition from ps3 and 360... those will still be there. Those releases will make competition more feirce and unlikely good for Nintendo.

No offense but personally It is my opinion that the 720/ps4 are going to have crap sales as well. It seems the mass gamer groups don't want newer systems that cost 350$+. And why should they?  Plenty of good games coming this year for the hd twins. Hell if I was a recent ps3/360 owner I wouldn't even begin to think about upgrading. Everyone thinking this is bad for Nintendo just wait till after the holiday 2013(if micro/Sony release their systems). 720/ps4 are going to have to compete with their older siblings as well, he'll look at psp and vita.

Honestly I am worried about developers making games from scratch just for these consoles, with Limited install base probably a nice jump in budget, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more THQ's in 2014. Unless the 3rd party companies are making these multiplatform to include Nintendo then up the effect/resolution for the other next gen consoles, at least that way you will add an extra 3-4 million potential customers(I know they don't sell mush on Nintendo but hell even an extra 1-2 hundred copies is money in the bag.

Around the Network

This will be the first time more then 1 old console will be supported into a new generation. Sales will be interesting.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

A lot of good launch titles, but none are system sellers. I'm expecting sales to pick up a bit after the latest Nintendo Direct.

ulieq said:
Let me say this. I bought the Wii U on opening day.

I get home and expect to play the Nintendo Land game.

What? I can't play 2 player?

What? I have to buy a (wii) remote to play 2 player?

What? I have to buy 2 (wii) remotes to play 2 player, and the gamepad is not used for 2 player?

How many people were turned off by this?

So you didn't play the Zelda and Metroid games in it? Those use the Gamepad in multiplayer.

NintendoPie said:
d21lewis said:
Things looked pretty bad for the 3DS, too: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/85877/nine-weeks-in-3ds-sales-have-dropped-to-wonderswan-levels/

And look what happened to the 3DS; it has dominated recently. Because of what? Say it with me, price cut! (This isn't directed towards you, D21.)

Fixed it for you, but really im sure the price cut had just as much effect as the games did, maybe even more and the redesign.

OT, people just dont care, its that simple. Why they dont care? I can only guess and who are these people buying Wii U with no games? Thats your own damn fault.

oniyide said:

Fixed it for you, but really im sure the price cut had just as much effect as the games did, maybe even more and the redesign.

OT, people just dont care, its that simple. Why they dont care? I can only guess and who are these people buying Wii U with no games? Thats your own damn fault.

A Price Cut would of course help. But SW is what sells HW.