By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Today's Nintendo Direct completely changed my mind on Wii U

Have your opinions on Wii U changed?

Yes I wasn't interested ... 109 21.37%

I already loved Wii U and... 298 58.43%

No I'm still not interes... 71 13.92%

Still undecided on the console 31 6.08%

Total:509

Also considering that I had to sell my PS3 in 2008 and my 360 red-lighted in 2009, and I haven't had a modern games console since ( except for the Wii I bought a couple of weeks ago), I think I've decided to skip my plans of picking up a 360 and / or PS3 now that I'm a little better off and just hop into the next gen with Wii U after seeing what they brought to Nintendo Direct today ( though I am hoping there's backwards compatibility / next gen remakes with the Nextbox and PS4 too).

Around the Network

My opinion hasn't changed. The kiddie stuff such as Mii's and the way the UI is designed is a turn off for me.
Glad to hear they are improving loading times though. Definitely a step in the right direction. Miiverse is also the best thing on Wii U.

I dunno, while the announcements were a nice surprise (they actually revealed more stuff than in some of their recent E3 conferences), there was little for me to get excited about. A pretty mixed bag for me. The stuff I didn't care for:

- Zelda WW HD - WW on Gamecube was actually one of the few Zelda games I've played from start to finish, and since it didn't really do much for me, I have no reason to pick it up and play it again, even with the improved graphics and gamepad functionality.

- Fire Emblem - Never was a fan of the series, so this announcement is a moot point for me.

The stuff that I have mixed feelings about:

- Virtual console announcement. Should have came out with the console. While it's nice to hear it's coming and that Wii U owners can finally play the VC games on the gamepads, the idea of charging a dollar extra to use this functionality is pretty ridiculous. I'll stick with the old games on my Nexus thank you very much.

- Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda mention. Don't get me wrong, I love these franchises, but let's be honest, I think it goes without saying that these were coming. Simply mentioning isn't enough to get me excited. At least show some screenshots or a teaser trailer, Nintendo. The fact that they didn't is a bit worrisome because it shows that these games may not have even been started yet, or they're at least in the very early stages. I dunno, maybe Nintendo is holding out for E3 on that.

Now HERE is the stuff that gets me excited:

- The new Yoshi's Island/Epic Yarn game. Yoshi's Island is still one of my favorite games on SNES, and enjoyed Epic Yarn as well. I just hope the formula follows the former more closely rather than the latter.

- New Xeno game. Wii U needs games like this, these massive RPGs, especially with the gamepad that seems designed for these sorts of games. I'm about a forth of the way through Xenoblade and I can safely say it's one of the greatest games on the console, so this one should not dissapoint.

So there are essentially TWO new games announced that interest me, the first of which I had already heard rumored. So did it change my opinion of the console? Not really, though it did give me a little more faith in the library, knowing that these conferences can be held and more games can be announced at any moment. At the end of the day, I'm still probably going to wait either for Mario Kart/Smash Bros release, or a price cut, whichever comes first. At that point, the VC will be established, the software will run faster, and the library will be much stronger.

All depends on how good 3d Mario, Smash Bros, and Zelda are. We already knew all these games were coming let's see the gameplay. Smash bros. is from a new developer so we'll see. Zelda could use some improvements in fast travel and combat from Skyward Sword. 3D Mario is always great but how do you improve from Galaxy 2? Has the series finally peaked? I feel like they should maybe do a Sunshine 2 or some new theme instead of Galaxy 3 or Universe.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Pavolink said:
Attoyou said:
Pavolink said:
Attoyou said:
Now the Wii u hate will start to disappear. Well done Nintendo, the games look crazy.

hahahaha

Ok, maybe not all Wii U hate (with ps4-720 around the corner) But a lot. This stupid "no games!" shit that happens with every system after launch, like people were expecting 15 AAA 90+ meta games on day one. PS4-720 will have their turn in the DOOM game.

Of course it won't be "no games!" anymore, now it is "lol we saw expected games!".

Yep love the "just expected games on Nintendo, wait til PS4 and 720 get announced and show Uncharte 4 and Killzone 4"

Wait so Uncharted and Killzone aren't expected then?  Or FF15, CoD 100, Halo 5, ect #.

Hypocricy on this site is great fun.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

- Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda mention. Don't get me wrong, I love these franchises, but let's be honest, I think it goes without saying that these were coming. Simply mentioning isn't enough to get me excited. At least show some screenshots or a teaser trailer, Nintendo. The fact that they didn't is a bit worrisome because it shows that these games may not have even been started yet, or they're at least in the very early stages. I dunno, maybe Nintendo is holding out for E3 on that.

He said that Mario Kart and 3D Mario will be "Playable" at this years E3.  Don't recal if Smash was part of that or just going to be shown.

So Kart and Mario are both far along in development and I would even guess possible 2013 release dates.

No it hasn't, I'm still just moderately interested...of all the games introduced in Nintendo Direct only the Monolith game intrigues me, however for some reason I haven't liked any newer rpgs (it looks like a rpg), so I wouldn't purchase it right away. I'm also interested in Lego City, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101, but not enough to purchase a new system...I sense the Wii U will trend the same way the PS vita did for me and I won't buy it till near the end of the year when it has 10 games that moderately interest me.

NES >>>>>>>>>>>>> SNES
By far. And I can't understand why people can't accept this fact.

Back on topic... Wii U has a bright future. And we always knew this. Even if a lot of people would have loved to see it fail. It will not fail. It will have so many awesome (exclusive, unlike the hd twins and probably their 8th gen successors) games and it will be a critical and commercial success.

BenVTrigger said:

I've been a fan of Nintendo ever since the SNES days but for me the Wii was quite a let down of a console.  While it was hugely successful for Nintendo I often felt overlooked and somewhat forgotten as a core gamer.  While the DS and 3DS delivered many awesome games for my tastes the Wii sat mostly gathering dust over the past few years. 

The Wii Us launch library was also fairly disappointing for me.  The only game of interest for me was NSMBU and while its a solid Mario game it didn't wow me.  I quickly was getting worried Nintendo just wouldn't be that interesting in the home console space for me again this gen.

Today changed everything.  The new game from Monolith looked stunning, Fire Emblem x Shin Migami, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, new Yoshi, and even Lego City look excellent.  Bravo Nintendo and an excellent showing.

So was anyone who was doubting Ninty, or not impressed early on with U changed your minds?  

No option for "I was already interested, but now I'm pretty certain I'll buy a Wii U soon?"

I was always interested in Wii U, but now I finally see a few titles worth paying full price for + the console. Looks like I'll be getting a Wii U when Xeno____ releases.

However I'm not sure if the long term library for Wii U will be that much better then Wii's. Wii started off with a similar bang. Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Wii Fit, Mario Party (Wii Party), Super Mario 3D, but had Metroid instead of X/Pikmin, and Mad World instead of Bayonetta.

Let just hope Nintendo can keep up the content for the next few years.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Until today the Wii U's problem for me was that there wasn't a single announced game that me say "I need to get a Wii U so I can have this game."

Today, there are two or three of those games, and in time, there will be five or six. I'm getting one by the time Wind Waker HD releases

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.