By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Windows Phones sell a whopping 12.375m+ units in Q4 2012?

At the start of December Steven Ballmer said that Windows Phones were selling 4x faster than at the same point last year. Then, last week during Qualcomms CES keynote, Steven Ballmer said that Windows Phones were selling 5x faster in the run-up to Christmas than during the same period last year. 

Now... last year in the 4th quarter Gartner estimated that 2.75m Windows Phone devices were sold. So if we use a 4.5x multiplier (which is a conservative multiple), then that means that at least 12,375,000 Windows Phones were sold in Q4 2012.

That's a pretty impressive figure which translates to roughly 1m devices sold per week. Anyway, earlier today I made a thread to find out how this would translate in terms of marketshare for the quarter, but I couldn't get any conclusive results.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Yep. Definitely a good uptick in sales over holidays. Now if neXtBox is what i think it will be, WP8 could be quite a bit bigger in 2013 as well.

I think that's a loose interpretation of Ballmer's statements, which weren't very specific.

Sadly, we'll probably never know true figures because, in comparison to sales of iOS and Android devices, the numbers won't be impressive. But compared to previous WP sales, they are fantastic and thus we get statements like what was made.

Keep in mind - This time last Year, Steve Ballmer also said that the 360 had sold more than it had shipped.

Very impressive, may Windows Phone take some customers away from iOS and android dominance

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

All Nokia Lumia are WP???

If so then Nokia sold 4.4 million Windows Phone devices in the last quarter... now we have to know how much the others sold.

In the last year Noka sold "over one million"... so at least 4x more this year.

Hmmm, ~10 million sounds plausible.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I don't think it will be very high but I would like to know.

Carl2291 said:
Keep in mind - This time last Year, Steve Ballmer also said that the 360 had sold more than it had shipped.

When he said that when the 360 was the best console of 2011. No one challenged it. 

Yay!!!

kowenicki said:
I doubt that. Seems wayyyy too high

I'd be impressed with half that given last years figures and the newness of it all.

Windows Phone is new? That is news to me.