By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Windows Phones sell a whopping 12.375m+ units in Q4 2012?

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Carl2291 said:
Keep in mind - This time last Year, Steve Ballmer also said that the 360 had sold more than it had shipped.

When he said that when the 360 was the best console of 2011. No one challenged it. 

Because it had shipped more than anything. There was nothing to challenge.

Ballmer said the 360 had sold over 66 Million units. He said there were over 66 Million 360 users, when the real number was 65.8 Million shipped.

Around the Network

Plausible. Nokia alone sold 4.4 million Windows Phones. And that was mostly with exclusive carrier partnerships. HTC had their WP 8X pretty much on every carrier worldwide. I expect another few million from them as well. Then we have Samsung with the Ativ S and ZTE and maybe a few others OEM's. 10 to 12 million is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

Carl2291 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Carl2291 said:
Keep in mind - This time last Year, Steve Ballmer also said that the 360 had sold more than it had shipped.

When he said that when the 360 was the best console of 2011. No one challenged it. 

Ballmer said the 360 had sold over 66 Million units. He said there were over 66 Million 360 users, when the real number was 65.8 Million shipped.

Lolwut? When Ballmer said 66m sold he meant sold to retailers aka shipped...isn't that obvious? Also, he was only 0.2m off. If anything, that statement actually heightens my confidence in the accuracy of what he says. 

I think that's a bit too high. Most likely Balmer was speaking of one specific type of phone w/ WP, not as a whole. If it was for WPs overall, and they were truly selling 450% up YOY, MS would have stated as much, as well as given sales numbers. Probably still an improvement, though.

Why are people surprised by this? 12M phones isn't that much when you look at all markets. Compare it to android, where one company, Samsung sold that many alone with one model.

It's good for microsoft because it's an improvement, a big one. But compared to Android or iOS, 12M is nothing.

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:
Carl2291 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Carl2291 said:

Lolwut? When Ballmer said 66m sold he meant sold to retailers aka shipped...isn't that obvious? Also, he was only 0.2m off. If anything, that statement actually heightens my confidence in the accuracy of what he says. 

He said users, not sold.  Still, even if he said sold, he would have been off by more than 200K off, as he said OVER 66M.

kowenicki said:
I doubt that. Seems wayyyy too high

I'd be impressed with half that given last years figures and the newness of it all.

Half? I think that's a given

Nokia sold 4.4 m lumias last Q alone. I don't know about HTC and Samsung but they definetly moved more than 2 m.

OP:

You are suggesting that both HTC and Sammy moved more than 8m devices? 

EDIT:

I keep forgetting that's windows 8 isn't the only windows OS out there.... nvm

man-bear-pig said:

He specifically said USERS, mbp. That means sold to consumer.

Hes the CEO and he lied about the numbers. He said that the 360 had sold over 66 Million when the numbers were 200k less and shipped.

thismeintiel said:
I think that's a bit too high. Most likely Balmer was speaking of one specific type of phone w/ WP, not as a whole. If it was for WPs overall, and they were truly selling 450% up YOY, MS would have stated as much, as well as given sales numbers. Probably still an improvement, though.

I saw the conference and he said that WP's as a whole were selling 5x faster in the run-up to Christmas than they were in the same period last year. 

Also, Microsofts quarterly earnings report is on Thursday, so they'll probably release actual numbers then. It wouldn't make sense for them to comment on the figures before their earnings release...

Carl2291 said:
man-bear-pig said:

He specifically said USERS, mbp. That means sold to consumer.

Hes the CEO and he lied about the numbers. He said that the 360 had sold over 66 Million when the numbers were 200k less and shipped.

Hmm...source?