By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like next xbox is gonna be a good deal less powerful then PS4

ninjablade said:
MB1025 said:

Neil Thompson from Bioware shit all over this article earlier today. People need to stop taking every rumor and acting like it is true. BTW you can just tell a Sony fan boy wrote this when you are dropping things like Sony will be the console for gamers.

lol i only owned a 360 this gen, but if this is true, i'm going with the best hardware money can buy. 

So you buy this?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Thats good sony is geting a powerful gpu and developer friendly

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

ninjablade said:
MB1025 said:

Neil Thompson from Bioware shit all over this article earlier today. People need to stop taking every rumor and acting like it is true. BTW you can just tell a Sony fan boy wrote this when you are dropping things like Sony will be the console for gamers.

lol i only owned a 360 this gen, but if this is true, i'm going with the best hardware money can buy. 

I am not talking about you. I am talking about the article you posted. You can tell by the way the guy talks that he is some fan boy on a forum.

Cyrus_ATX said:
From Neogaf:

Reddit Rumor: PS4 and Xbox 720 Unveiled: Dev Spills the Beans on Reddit!

Originally Posted by Clay Davis: View Post:

posted a number of times in other threads. general consensus was that it's fake.

Originally Posted by thehypocrite: View Post:

This is old and bullshit (IMO)

Agreed, craving official info.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509185

knew something was fishy

Mnementh said:
ninjablade said:
MB1025 said:

So you buy this?

That looks like you would be in the damn game if it was  video game console. Imagine that? LOL

Around the Network

This is coming from a Games Programmer who worked for Microsoft, but is now working for SCEA Tools and Tech. Redmond, WA.

latching onto individual figures is not a useful way to understand performance differences.
OK lets say that everything else in the hardware is identical for a second, so you have a 50% performance difference, but only in ALU limited situations.
When I render shadows, I'm ROP (or rathe Z-Fill) limited, if my shaders are texture heavy, the ALU's sit idle and wait on memory, on current PC GPU's if the vertex workload is dominant, for the most part they grossly underutilize the ALU's.

So what percentage of the time do the extra ALU's actually help?
If it's 40% it's a 20% performance difference, if it's 80% it's a 40% difference I would guess it will end up being closer to the first than the second.

If 720 has more ROPs (and enough associated bandwidth) or a larger register pool and can hide more latency, then it gets more of that difference back, because it runs other portions of the frame faster.

Now I'm not suggesting it's "faster" or for that matter "slower", I'm saying it's just one aspect of a design.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1696426&postcount=262

Nsanity said:

This is coming from a Games Programmer who worked for Microsoft, but is now working for SCEA Tools and Tech. Redmond, WA.

latching onto individual figures is not a useful way to understand performance differences.
OK lets say that everything else in the hardware is identical for a second, so you have a 50% performance difference, but only in ALU limited situations.
When I render shadows, I'm ROP (or rathe Z-Fill) limited, if my shaders are texture heavy, the ALU's sit idle and wait on memory, on current PC GPU's if the vertex workload is dominant, for the most part they grossly underutilize the ALU's.

So what percentage of the time do the extra ALU's actually help?
If it's 40% it's a 20% performance difference, if it's 80% it's a 40% difference I would guess it will end up being closer to the first than the second.

If 720 has more ROPs (and enough associated bandwidth) or a larger register pool and can hide more latency, then it gets more of that difference back, because it runs other portions of the frame faster.

Now I'm not suggesting it's "faster" or for that matter "slower", I'm saying it's just one aspect of a design.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1696426&postcount=262

Doesn't matter,something like "1.2tf lol" won't happen in Durango

spaceguy said:
Mnementh said:
ninjablade said:
MB1025 said:

So you buy this?

That looks like you would be in the damn game if it was  video game console. Imagine that? LOL

Next gen doesn't start, until we have this in our living rooms! Well, I would need a bigger living room. And this is probably near to no loss on each manufactured unit, if Sony sells it to the initial price of 799$/€.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

fillet said:
Is there any actual information in this thread, have tried reading it but it just seems to be a few sensible people saying "just leave it", a few non-sensible people saying "you can't handle the truth" and a few inbetweeners saying "so?" mixxed with the odd trolling accusation.

Is that it?

Radeon 7850 equivalent is likely pretty accurate and nothing wrong with that for a home console. What were people expecting? Except it's likely based on 8000 series architecture/die shrinks but equivalent in power to a 7850. Really not sure what is so disappointing?

Do we all want another £400 console that overheats and sounds like a jet engine? Nope, do we want a Wii-U? Nope, we want something in between thank you. (but still way more powerful than a Wii-U GPU which the 7850 definitely is.

The 8850 is the same gpu as the 7850, its rebranded. PS4 is rumoured to have 7900M which is inbetween 7850 and 7870. The WiiU has a e6760.

If PS4 rumors about the 7900M and 4GB GDDR5 ram are true, the graphical difference between PS4 and WiiU will be as big as an entire console gen.

Turkish said:
fillet said:
Is there any actual information in this thread, have tried reading it but it just seems to be a few sensible people saying "just leave it", a few non-sensible people saying "you can't handle the truth" and a few inbetweeners saying "so?" mixxed with the odd trolling accusation.

Is that it?

Radeon 7850 equivalent is likely pretty accurate and nothing wrong with that for a home console. What were people expecting? Except it's likely based on 8000 series architecture/die shrinks but equivalent in power to a 7850. Really not sure what is so disappointing?

Do we all want another £400 console that overheats and sounds like a jet engine? Nope, do we want a Wii-U? Nope, we want something in between thank you. (but still way more powerful than a Wii-U GPU which the 7850 definitely is.

The 8850 is the same gpu as the 7850, its rebranded. PS4 is rumoured to have 7900M which is inbetween 7850 and 7870. The WiiU has a e6760.

If PS4 rumors about the 7900M and 4GB GDDR5 ram are true, the graphical difference between PS4 and WiiU will be as big as an entire console gen.

The HD8000 you see right now are just OEM version,retail version coming Q2 and it's not rebranded

Of course maybe HD8000 retail will change name to HD9000,hard to say