By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like next xbox is gonna be a good deal less powerful then PS4

thismeintiel said:
Maelstrome said:
ninjablade said:

100% correct, Neil Thompson said that budget won't go up much, not that the hardware won't be a huge jump, he actually said there would be a huge jump.

He also said that it wont be obvious. Seeing as he does art and animation, that tells me that graphics arent getting much better.

I feel like you two are ignoring my point that hardware is not the final deciding factor here.

I think people have got the costs of developing games a little skewed.  More advanced games doesn't necessarily mean it costs more to produce.  Much of the increase in gaming development has more to do with the cost of everything going up, not so much the HW they are developing it on.  I mean, they're not paying per polygon or texture.  If an incredibly powerful system is easy to develop for, than you could pump out a game for about the same amount of cost (probably less) than a weak system that is difficullt to develop for.  I can't even imagine how cheap it is to develop on the Vita, if you have a PS3 version already in development, as one developer stated it took his team only an extra 2 weeks to port their PS3 game to the Vita.

Look at something like GT5.  That game was revealed to have a budget of $60M.  While that seems pretty big, just keep in mind that GT5 is a big franchise game (which have larger budgets, anyway) and that covers development for over 5 years, with over 140 staff members working at PD.  The vast majority of games only take 1-2 years to develop and have quite a fewer amount of staff working on them, so their budgets are going to be AT LEAST less than 1/3 of that.  Then you have to factor in the scale of the game.  A linear game that lasts for 6-8 hrs is going to cost much less than an open-world game that has 30+ hrs of content.

Developers are very afraid of dev cost, do not understimate them. If this keeps going say goodbye to new AAA IPs, everything is going to be the CoDs, Assassins Creed, etc. and the first party games.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Maelstrome said:
Some information I am gathering on the tech demo. It took 3 months of development. To clarify that, for a game that would take 2 years to develop, that is 1/8 the time on one cut scene .For a 3 year dev cycle that is still 1/12 of the total cycle on one cut scene. Tim Sweeny says in an interview about the tech demo that disk drives have no future in entertainment devices. that suggest it would at least be difficult if not out right problematic to do this grade of work with disk based media. To run at 1080p 30 fps it took 2.5 teraflops. Unreal engine 4 is not scheduled for commercial release util 2014. The tech demo was dependent on direct x 11. I cannot find a good source that says what hardware they used to run it. I am finding that it was either 3 gtx 580 or one gtx 680. Is there anything that you would like to add or correct this this?

So far it does not look like that grade of work would be viable for the majority of the industry.

It took 3 months of development. But with how many people working on it? I doubt the number of people who worked on this demo is comparable to the number of people working on an entire game.

I've seen the same kind of argument regarding S-E's Agnis Philosophy.  The truth is, only a fraction of the work force required for a full fledge game worked on those kind of demos. 

I havent seen mention of the number of people on the project.

These tech demos also only have a fraction of the content of full fledged games.

I cannot find mention of the cost of the samaritan demo. 

@thismeintiel- Nothing in your post really goes against what ive said. Its not a question of hardware but the amount of time and manpower. More time required raises cost and more manpower raises cost. Both of which will be needed to fully take advantage of the 8th gen hardware regardless of how powerful it is. Devs dont want to spend more so they wont. If we see anything that comes close to the samaritan demo it wont be for a few years after the full launch of the 8th gen. How easy a platform is to develop for will mostly effect performance , not visuals. Higher grade visuals take longer to develop regardless of platform. This wont change until we change the way we make the art assets. Scale of the game is not always a factor there are a lot of shorter games that are higher budget than longer games.There are a lot more forgivable short cuts that are used in the sense of scope and scale vs graphics.Generally speaking you can cut a little from the graphics to be able to increase the scope relatively dramatically. This though is a great direction that the industry can take with the 8th gen. With 7th gen graphics being largely acceptable they dont really gain as much from improving them. All of those resource can be better spent on expanding the ammount of content(preferably without resorting to dlc).  Graphics vs content has been a common thing in the industry for a long time. Cutting one to help the other. Good examples of both are ff13 against something like minecraft, xenoblade or dwarf fortress. 

TLDR- Graphics wont get much better, but this allows for other pursuits to enhance games.

On the topic of ps3 to vita ports.A lot of games are made with scalable tools. It would be easy to port up or down between the two.  

LOL. Are you basing console power on financials now? 

Once these rumors are put in place, there will be a lot of crow serving.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

VGKing said:

LOL. Are you basing console power on financials now? 

Who are you talking to?

Around the Network
ninjablade said:

http://oxcgn.com/2013/01/20/ps4-and-xbox-720-unveiled-dev-spills-the-beans-on-reddit/  PS4 the console for gamers nextgen, best versions of multiplatform games, best exclusives. very disappointed in microsoft, its looking like a ps2 to xbox difference.

QOUTE

This would allow Microsoft to have Kinect 2.0, and the PS4 to truly be a workhorse. It should also be pointed out that Sony is investing a lot in the system’s GPU compared to that of Microsoft.

In descending order, the most powerful system would be the PS4 with the Xbox 720 in the middle and the Wii U at the bottom.

Also, while the final price point itself is unknown, it appears both consoles should launch for about the same price to make them more competitive (and to prevent more $599USD debacles).

the "best exclusives" part was hilarious   It clearly shows that this is just some kind of rick roller.

Is there any actual information in this thread, have tried reading it but it just seems to be a few sensible people saying "just leave it", a few non-sensible people saying "you can't handle the truth" and a few inbetweeners saying "so?" mixxed with the odd trolling accusation.

Is that it?

Radeon 7850 equivalent is likely pretty accurate and nothing wrong with that for a home console. What were people expecting? Except it's likely based on 8000 series architecture/die shrinks but equivalent in power to a 7850. Really not sure what is so disappointing?

Do we all want another £400 console that overheats and sounds like a jet engine? Nope, do we want a Wii-U? Nope, we want something in between thank you. (but still way more powerful than a Wii-U GPU which the 7850 definitely is.

fillet said:
Is there any actual information in this thread, have tried reading it but it just seems to be a few sensible people saying "just leave it", a few non-sensible people saying "you can't handle the truth" and a few inbetweeners saying "so?" mixxed with the odd trolling accusation.

Is that it?

Radeon 7850 equivalent is likely pretty accurate and nothing wrong with that for a home console. What were people expecting? Except it's likely based on 8000 series architecture/die shrinks but equivalent in power to a 7850. Really not sure what is so disappointing?

Do we all want another £400 console that overheats and sounds like a jet engine? Nope, do we want a Wii-U? Nope, we want something in between thank you. (but still way more powerful than a Wii-U GPU which the 7850 definitely is.

yea a numer of tech heads at neogaf commented about 9x more powerful then wii u.

ninjablade said:
fillet said:

Is that it?

yea a numer of tech heads at neogaf commented about 9x more powerful then wii u.

For the PS4 I'm guessing?

osed125 said:
ninjablade said:
Mr Khan said:
If true, the likely analogy would be: Orbis:Xbox, Durango:PS2, Wii U:Dreamcast

wii u is N64, from what i read, we don't even know if its more powerful then 360/ps3.

I think a double facepalm is in order:

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]