By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like next xbox is gonna be a good deal less powerful then PS4

Judging by Sony's recovery rate, and the billions of dollars they lost, and the Vita, Xbox 720 - most powerful, PS4 - 2nd place, Wii U - 3rd place. But who cares about specs, right? It's all about the games.

Around the Network

There could very well be some FUD being purposefully leaked out, possibly by both sides. I know Microsoft were masters of FUD in the '80's and '90's. Also the thing that gets me is that the eurogamer rumor clearly states they don't know much about Durango and how it's "hoarding it's secrets". Durango is rumored to include edRAM or possible esRAM to assist in counteracting the slower RAM (if true). Soooo much we don't know yet...

thismeintiel said:
Maelstrome said:

Ignoring information? We have named sources that are saying it wont be as big a leap as people think. Neil Thompson from bioware says it wont be obvious. He is an art and animation director. John Carmack is certain that games will still be 720p and 30 fps for the majority. Look at the sources of the rumours. The ones with names attached to them are much more modest than the anonymous ones. I am pretty confident that the rumour mill is out of control right now in the hope of generating hits and popularity. I still know people that believe that monster hunter 4 is going to be released on vita. Its not any different. These rumours really come off as wishful thinking. Before it was said the x720 would have a 1.6 gh processor the rumours said 4 cores. As soon as that comment dropped, all of a sudden its 8 cores or more.I have seen rumours of the other consoles using gpus that cost several hundred american dollars on their own.  With the recent retreading of the idea that the x720 will have a 6670 gpu,people now want to believe it will have 2 of them.All the people putting stock into these rumours of powerful hardware and amazing graphics will be disappointed come this e3.Some of them may even be down right angry. Even if the best hardware rumours are true, the majority of games wont look much better than these last few titles for the x360 and ps3. Devs just dont have the manpower or funding to go much higher.

TLDR- you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think the only ones setting themselves up for disappointment are Nintendo fans praying that the PS4 and NeXbox will only be marginally better than the PS3/360, meaning only slightly better than the Wii U.  Sony and MS have never jumped a gen with slightly upgraded HW, and they aren't going to start it now.  Not only would it piss off their supporters, but it would also be completely unnecessary for them to spend years and millions of dollars on R&D if the graphics are only marginally above the PS3's.  I think Wii U owners need to accept that they will be getting games that look slightly better than the PS3, while PS4 owners will be getting games that look on par to the the Samaritan demo.

100% correct, Neil Thompson said that budget won't go up much, not that the hardware won't be a huge jump, he actually said there would be a huge jump.

thismeintiel said:
Maelstrome said:

Ignoring information? We have named sources that are saying it wont be as big a leap as people think. Neil Thompson from bioware says it wont be obvious. He is an art and animation director. John Carmack is certain that games will still be 720p and 30 fps for the majority. Look at the sources of the rumours. The ones with names attached to them are much more modest than the anonymous ones. I am pretty confident that the rumour mill is out of control right now in the hope of generating hits and popularity. I still know people that believe that monster hunter 4 is going to be released on vita. Its not any different. These rumours really come off as wishful thinking. Before it was said the x720 would have a 1.6 gh processor the rumours said 4 cores. As soon as that comment dropped, all of a sudden its 8 cores or more.I have seen rumours of the other consoles using gpus that cost several hundred american dollars on their own.  With the recent retreading of the idea that the x720 will have a 6670 gpu,people now want to believe it will have 2 of them.All the people putting stock into these rumours of powerful hardware and amazing graphics will be disappointed come this e3.Some of them may even be down right angry. Even if the best hardware rumours are true, the majority of games wont look much better than these last few titles for the x360 and ps3. Devs just dont have the manpower or funding to go much higher.

I think the only ones setting themselves up for disappointment are Nintendo fans praying that the PS4 and NeXbox will only be marginally better than the PS3/360, meaning only slightly better than the Wii U.  Sony and MS have never jumped a gen with slightly upgraded HW, and they aren't going to start it now.  Not only would it piss off their supporters, but it would also be completely unnecessary for them to spend years and millions of dollars on R&D if the graphics are only marginally above the PS3's.  I think Wii U owners need to accept that they will be getting games that look slightly better than the PS3, while PS4 owners will be getting games that look on par to the the Samaritan demo.

If you read my last two sentences I had an answer for that aswell. Even if the hardware is the best possible hardware,  then its still a question of talent and budget. The hardware isnt making the game. Humans are, and they have limits on what they can produce.  Look at how many studios have died off due to over spending and under performing.  A quick google tells me that the samaritan tech demo required 2.5 terraflops. Lets take the time to gather the information on the samaritan tech demo.ill find what i can. it would help if you could bring something to the table as well . So far all ive found is that it was running on 3 gtx 580 gpus. I would like to see the cost to develop it as well. I will come back to this as i find more info.

ninjablade said:
thismeintiel said:
Maelstrome said:

100% correct, Neil Thompson said that budget won't go up much, not that the hardware won't be a huge jump, he actually said there would be a huge jump.

He also said that it wont be obvious. Seeing as he does art and animation, that tells me that graphics arent getting much better.

I feel like you two are ignoring my point that hardware is not the final deciding factor here.

Around the Network

get a job???

Some information I am gathering on the tech demo. It took 3 months of development. To clarify that, for a game that would take 2 years to develop, that is 1/8 the time on one cut scene .For a 3 year dev cycle that is still 1/12 of the total cycle on one cut scene. Tim Sweeny says in an interview about the tech demo that disk drives have no future in entertainment devices. that suggest it would at least be difficult if not out right problematic to do this grade of work with disk based media. To run at 1080p 30 fps it took 2.5 teraflops. Unreal engine 4 is not scheduled for commercial release util 2014. The tech demo was dependent on direct x 11. I cannot find a good source that says what hardware they used to run it. I am finding that it was either 3 gtx 580 or one gtx 680. Is there anything that you would like to add or correct this this?

So far it does not look like that grade of work would be viable for the majority of the industry.

Maelstrome said:
Some information I am gathering on the tech demo. It took 3 months of development. To clarify that, for a game that would take 2 years to develop, that is 1/8 the time on one cut scene .For a 3 year dev cycle that is still 1/12 of the total cycle on one cut scene. Tim Sweeny says in an interview about the tech demo that disk drives have no future in entertainment devices. that suggest it would at least be difficult if not out right problematic to do this grade of work with disk based media. To run at 1080p 30 fps it took 2.5 teraflops. Unreal engine 4 is not scheduled for commercial release util 2014. The tech demo was dependent on direct x 11. I cannot find a good source that says what hardware they used to run it. I am finding that it was either 3 gtx 580 or one gtx 680. Is there anything that you would like to add or correct this this?

So far it does not look like that grade of work would be viable for the majority of the industry.

It took 3 months of development. But with how many people working on it? I doubt the number of people who worked on this demo is comparable to the number of people working on an entire game.

I've seen the same kind of argument regarding S-E's Agnis Philosophy.  The truth is, only a fraction of the work force required for a full fledge game worked on those kind of demos. 

Maelstrome said:
ninjablade said:

He also said that it wont be obvious. Seeing as he does art and animation, that tells me that graphics arent getting much better.

I feel like you two are ignoring my point that hardware is not the final deciding factor here.

I think people have got the costs of developing games a little skewed.  More advanced games doesn't necessarily mean it costs more to produce.  Much of the increase in gaming development has more to do with the cost of everything going up, not so much the HW they are developing it on.  I mean, they're not paying per polygon or texture.  If an incredibly powerful system is easy to develop for, than you could pump out a game for about the same amount of cost (probably less) than a weak system that is difficullt to develop for.  I can't even imagine how cheap it is to develop on the Vita, if you have a PS3 version already in development, as one developer stated it took his team only an extra 2 weeks to port their PS3 game to the Vita.

Look at something like GT5.  That game was revealed to have a budget of $60M.  While that seems pretty big, just keep in mind that GT5 is a big franchise game (which have larger budgets, anyway) and that covers development for over 5 years, with over 140 staff members working at PD.  The vast majority of games only take 1-2 years to develop and have quite a fewer amount of staff working on them, so their budgets are going to be AT LEAST less than 1/3 of that.  Then you have to factor in the scale of the game.  A linear game that lasts for 6-8 hrs is going to cost much less than an open-world game that has 30+ hrs of content.

*If* true, that's a mistake by MS. I will stick with Sony, but I'd like a new controller this time out, Dual Shock is too dated.

Bring on PS4.

A 7850 or 7970M are quite power in the 1.8 TFLOP range, that would be about 7-8x the 360, with 4GB of GDDR5 RAM, that would be a nice jump in power if you ask me and not unreasonable in cost.