By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Research shows off IllumiRoom Xbox project at CES 2013

That is pretty cool :) Didnt think it would work when they showed the patents but this looks pretty impressive.

Around the Network

I thought it looked really cool for sure. I do like the extra-immersion this could provide for gaming.

As someone pointed out earlier, I was also distracted from the tv screen with all the other stuff going on on the walls, so I'm wondering if that will be a common complaint from players. Maybe after we've gotten used to playing with the wall enhancements, it won't be as distracting.

Also, someone pointed out that this could be very useful with a projected keyboard, but I'm skeptical that that could actually work with the way the tech is currently setup. Everybody in the game was sitting down, out of the way of the projected visuals. If somebody is standing up playing the game via Kinect, I think that the keyboard would just end up getting projected on the back of their body where they can't see it well enough to be able to type on it. It would have to be a large, overhead keyboard, but then imagine all of the arm movements it would take to properly type out a single sentence if you had to hit each letter key like you do on standard pc keyboards.

Promising tech for sure, but I think it's going to have limitations for now on how it can be used.

This is a really exciting development. I imagine how epic a Dragon attacking in Skyrim would be! Set out the surround sound, turn up the sub-woofer and really see the dragon swarm and fly around.

Also, Assassin's Creed - you could see the whole town!

I do think it would take a little getting used too, but like thumb joysticks, you would get used to after a while.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

It looks cool, but the point of entry cost will be high and I don't like that 90% of that video was fps again. Seriously, there are other genre's.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Chandler said:
It looks cool, but the point of entry cost will be high and I don't like that 90% of that video was fps again. Seriously, there are other genre's.

If they can commercialize something like this, cost of entry will be as low as cost of console, game + 300 bucks for projector. An acceptable resolution projector for something like this would be 2500 lumens 1024x768 DLP projector which start at $299. So it really wouldn't be too bad. Someone that already has a projector setup can put this to awesome use with no extra cost...

But I agree, this would be great for many genre types. I'd love to see rings fly all over my room when Sonic hits the spikes or whole room turn flashy when Ryu is about to do a super...

Around the Network

Wow. I wonder how a blank room would work with that But as far as what they were showing in that video it adds a massive visual effect, which I find the best part but if it works as a screen extension, even better. I think I might have underestimated the value of this effect, concentrating on its kinect use and trying to compare it to what a 3D personal viewer for 360 degree use.

As a visual enhancer, this looks phenomenal. If set up can be easily handled and delivers effectively this is a super selling point as it is multiplayer friendly.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

disolitude said:
sales2099 said:
Its a gimmick, but it could be huge nonetheless as a selling point.

Its a proof of concept, so it isn't even a gimmick yet.  :)

As someone who has had many projectors and will probably buy one in 6 months or so, this could be a very cool immersion bonus. 

A company does something like this for industral purposes. I think Attack of the Show when it first started featured the company. The episode showed some of the interactive display technology they have been working on. And I think Microsoft is one the companies they contacted. If it isn't their tech it is pretty close. So there may be some patent lawsuits in the future.

Chark said:
Wow. I wonder how a blank room would work with that But as far as what they were showing in that video it adds a massive visual effect, which I find the best part but if it works as a screen extension, even better. I think I might have underestimated the value of this effect, concentrating on its kinect use and trying to compare it to what a 3D personal viewer for 360 degree use.

As a visual enhancer, this looks phenomenal. If set up can be easily handled and delivers effectively this is a super selling point as it is multiplayer friendly.

I was thinking about this and I could see people thinking that someone with the projector has an unfair advantage. I guess you could do it if it only pitted projector owners against projector owners.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

ahh nice, i have a tv with ambilight and it is already awesome, something like that would be even better.

does this mean always play in the dark ? :D

looks interesting... but also looks pretty tiring.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.