By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Research shows off IllumiRoom Xbox project at CES 2013

interesting, could be cool!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

I could have sworn some janitor at a school leaked this info, there was a thread about it.

disolitude said:
Yeah it's always going to be the case at first. Wii, Kinect and countless other new tech was seen as the devil at first... But then a few years later.

I've seen microsoft research demo similar stuff in non gaming applications so I know they are working on tehcnology of projecting images and interacting with them. Besides, this will never be universally accepted with gaming only. It needs to support a wider set of applications like a virtual PC keyboard and interactivity with the environment. 

Wii tech was seen as the devil? I was excited from the get-go about it. This, not so much. Like I said, if I had an actual "game room" devoid of bookshelves and furniture this concept would at least intrigue me. I am less interested in this than 3D and I have absolutely no interest in 3D or 4K for that matter.  

disolitude said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
the video made me feel very overwhelmed, dizzy and annoyed. Good luck to MS since most people wont be able to enjoy it during day light.

Daylight?

Yeah, every house I lived in has big windows in the living room. The blinds only do so much but light still bleeds through. The light would bleach the projections on the wall.

You can get a 3000 lumens 720p projector for under 600 dollars. At 3000 lumens, youre able to enjoy 80-100 inch picture in full daylight. Obviously this will work better at night, and possibly it may give some people dizziness. 

However, with this being just a research project at this point and not something Microsoft is trying to sell you for 19.99 per month, maybe you can look at it from the technology application side and see how cool the tech really is?

I don't know much about projectors. The people I do know with them have them in a basement with a mini theater type deal.

On the technology side of it it's really cool. The projector reciving the information and being able to display it as it goes off the screen. That idea is neat.

looks pretty cool. I like when r&d studios show off their stuff. it could be in touch with nextbox but not necessarily. what it really shows: ms had enough money for r&d and takes the Xbox and the concept serious which is important. perhaps next-gen is not all about which exclusive might be bigger of better but who can really deliver a new gaming experience.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
I could have sworn some janitor at a school leaked this info, there was a thread about it.

Dodece made that thread and it was his friend who was reporting it. However, that doesn't sound anything like the Janitor was claiming. The janitor said the kinect was projecting a halogram that the kids were interacting with

Was that lil girl playing mario kart?

dsgrue3 said:
disolitude said:
Yeah it's always going to be the case at first. Wii, Kinect and countless other new tech was seen as the devil at first... But then a few years later.

I've seen microsoft research demo similar stuff in non gaming applications so I know they are working on tehcnology of projecting images and interacting with them. Besides, this will never be universally accepted with gaming only. It needs to support a wider set of applications like a virtual PC keyboard and interactivity with the environment. 

Wii tech was seen as the devil? I was excited from the get-go about it. This, not so much. Like I said, if I had an actual "game room" devoid of bookshelves and furniture this concept would at least intrigue me. I am less interested in this than 3D and I have absolutely no interest in 3D or 4K for that matter.  

Wii tech was definatly seen as a gimmick which is what i think he means by "the devil."

Looks cool, I liked the shocks and the extended view with the white sketched edges (the full coloured one looked weird).

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

It's looks really really cool but not sure its something that would make me buy 1 console over another, at least not by itself.