By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Research shows off IllumiRoom Xbox project at CES 2013

The bookshelves seriously hurt the immersion, I also can see why I would need it. But a cool gimmick nontheless^^

Around the Network

This will be the coolest thing to happen to my living room since I went HD.

To be honest this does look cool, but if this is in the nextbox it will be clear that Japan won't accept it again, this feature is pretty much useless in the small, multiperson shared living room where the TV will likely be.

However, I do see this as potentially a giant selling point of the next xbox, I just might get it if it has a couple exclusive RPGs that go extremely well with the function

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

KHlover said:
The bookshelves seriously hurt the immersion, I also can see why I would need it. But a cool gimmick nontheless^^

Yeah I'll have trouble justifying cleaning out completely 1 side of a room for this though, guess the shelves will have to stay.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Pretty cool actually.

So I take it the rumour we had about this recently turned out to be true. I don't mind the furniture actually, the effects blend around them quite easily for the most part.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Chandler said:
It looks cool, but the point of entry cost will be high and I don't like that 90% of that video was fps again. Seriously, there are other genre's.

If they can commercialize something like this, cost of entry will be as low as cost of console, game + 300 bucks for projector. An acceptable resolution projector for something like this would be 2500 lumens 1024x768 DLP projector which start at $299. So it really wouldn't be too bad. Someone that already has a projector setup can put this to awesome use with no extra cost...

But I agree, this would be great for many genre types. I'd love to see rings fly all over my room when Sonic hits the spikes or whole room turn flashy when Ryu is about to do a super...

youre forgetting the st of the second kinect

That looks really neat. Not just working with games, but with movies, tv, etc.

I have been waiting my whole life for something like this. I knew Kinect would prove itself to be useful some day.

OMG! Microsoft is ripping off Sony yet again. PSEye can totally do this, Sony just chose not to because it didn't work well. Did you not notice how poor the graphics were? Clearly not HD.

/sarcasm

Intresting gimmick, Looks rather cool to play having a bunch of people over. But solo I would find it annoying and a distraction.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA