By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why would I ever want to purchase a neXtBox 720?

superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:
If there was zero chance anyone in here was going to change your mind then what was the point of making this thread?

Especially since none of us actually know anything about it.

Who said I wouldn't change my mind? Problem is a lot of people say "Halo" yet I don't like that game. But, a few have listed games I do like and would play.

Either way, this thread serves no purpose since we know nothing about the console yet or what games and/or features it offers.

Nobody can answer your question.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:
If there was zero chance anyone in here was going to change your mind then what was the point of making this thread?

Who said I wouldn't change my mind? Problem is a lot of people say "Halo" yet I don't like that game. But, a few have listed games I do like and would play.

Either way, this thread serves no purpose since we know nothing about the console yet or what games and/or features it offers.

Why are people so short-sighted?

Its pretty obvious what its going to be and have. Just look at Win8 (pc, mobile, surface), what MS has done the over the last couple years, and the main IPs they already have. That's the 98% of what will be there. There may be a new game and some unexpected use of Kinect/tablets/etc.

Xbox is MS's iTV/GoogleTV. It will be an "entertainment" TV box that continues the Xbox game library as well. It will have a media/entertaiment focused Win8 UI and share a lot of digital content with the rest of the Win8 ecosystem.

Many people have already answered the question.

kitler53 said:
superchunk said:
kitler53 said:

bad ass image

Where did you get that from?

someone on reddit created it.  i suppose i could have posted a few words to it but really the idea is that A) there are quite a few games that hit consoles and not PC and B) of the ones that hit PC there are quite a few that show up late and shitty (like dark souls). 

there are plenty of great reasons to game on PC but getting every game on xbox is not one of them.

I also always laugh at the PC exclusive list. Not that there aren't worthy games on it, but the list always appear to be huge, while many games are just recycled from the last lists (and probably already cancelled), while others are of minor quality and turn out to be crappy or below average and others that are completely niche.

Did anyone here list 360 exclusive SHMUPs ? No, even though the 360 has tons of them. I know of them but skipped them on purpose.
I have also only seen one guy mentioning XBLA games.

Barozi said:

I also always laugh at the PC exclusive list. Not that there aren't worthy games on it, but the list always appear to be huge, while many games are just recycled from the last lists (and probably already cancelled), while others are of minor quality and turn out to be crappy or below average and others that are completely niche.

Did anyone here list 360 exclusive SHMUPs ? No, even though the 360 has tons of them. I know of them but skipped them on purpose.
I have also only seen one guy mentioning XBLA games.

I'm betting, heavily, that XBLA and other Live digital only games will be on Win8 Live as well. I see that as the main purpose for Live being integrated into Win8 in the first place. Live is MS app store and it will get those games too.

superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:

Its pretty obvious what its going to be and have. Just look at Win8 (pc, mobile, surface), what MS has done the over the last couple years, and the main IPs they already have. That's the 98% of what will be there. There may be a new game and some unexpected use of Kinect/tablets/etc.

Xbox is MS's iTV/GoogleTV. It will be an "entertainment" TV box that continues the Xbox game library as well. It will have a media/entertaiment focused Win8 UI and share a lot of digital content with the rest of the Win8 ecosystem.

Exactly you don't know it. 360 brought lots of new IPs to the table during 2005 and 2006, yet you expect them to make the same games as they do at the moment with one possible exception.

Around the Network

I asked myself the same question with the Xbox 360 back in 2008 when I started building PCs but had already bought an Xbox 360 in 2007.

Once I started playing the same games I had bought the Xbox for (Bioshock, Orange Box, Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary, Mass Effect which were Xbox console exclusives at the time) on PC through Steam, that was the point where I realized my only reason to keep the Xbox plugged in was for HD-DVDs (back in 07-08 before BD killed it) and the tiny handful of MS Studios exclusives, namely Gears and Halo. I had no need for an XBL Gold subscription given the minimal use it saw and because the Xbox is hobbled without one, I simply used it even less.

I'm still curious to see what the Xbox 3 will offer beyond Kinect 2 though and there's a fair chance I'll end up buying one at some point in its product cycle, but probably not within the first year or two. If it's really nothing new beyond more of the same but improved, I may well end up not supporting the Xbox platform in the future at all.

It will probably boil down to which games MS deliberately keeps exclusive to the Xbox platform, which is essentially the only reason I still use (sporadically) the Xbox 360 today.

But as for a Win8 PC being my replacement "console" if I keep it plugged into the living room HDTV, I'm unsold. The Win7 PC I currently have plugged into the HDTV never gets used because it's strictly for PC games and it's easier and faster to pick up a controller, push a button and start playing without having to pick up the mouse and keyboard, boot up, open Steam, enter my Steam password, wait for updates, etc. Maybe if it was on 24/7, but I don't PC game enough to waste power like that. I tried a Windows Media remote for doing the PC start up from across the room, but that's really only for watching movies as you still have to pick up the keyboard and mouse to set everything up before switching back to your remote and game controller.

For me, PC gaming is still best experienced at the desk where my workstation is set up.

Barozi said:

Exactly you don't know it. 360 brought lots of new IPs to the table during 2005 and 2006, yet you expect them to make the same games as they do at the moment with one possible exception.

You're right. The entirely new IP I must have is a kink in my logic. But that is still teh 2% of the total content I'm referring to and of course I'll have to wait for probably E3 to make that judgement.

superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:
superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:

Short sighted?

By all means, please reveal this crystal ball you possess. MS have grown their first party and as of right now we have no idea what projects they are all working on.

You keep throwing Gears & Halo out there when you have zero idea what other software is coming.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:
superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:

It is pretty obvious that the X360 will not sell more than 50 million units

it is pretty obvious that 3rd pârty support for X360/PS3 will die and all shift to the cheaper Wii...

It is pretty obvious that the Wii will have 50% marketshare

It is pretty obvious that the X360/PS3 will come with a new console first and for sure not Nintendo...

some of your favourite quotes....

If you ask me it is pretty obvious that you still fucked up because of older stupid comments especially now that it looks like the next consoles from MS/Sony will indeed be a lot more powerfull.

If you were mind was not so trouble you would indeed see that it make sense to wait untill the console is announced and see what MS comes up with...No new exclusives and no new IP's are more the hope of an hater if you ask me...

superchunk said:
Barozi said:

You're right. The entirely new IP I must have is a kink in my logic. But that is still teh 2% of the total content I'm referring to and of course I'll have to wait for probably E3 to make that judgement.

Which is why this thread is premature.

Currently playing: