By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why would I ever want to purchase a neXtBox 720?

I coudln't care less about PC gaming outside of MMO's. I've been a X360/PS3 owner since launch and I can say from experience that until PC gets games such as Star Ocean, FF, Castlevania, Forza, Dynasty Warriors, Dead Or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, Tales series, Uncharted, Catherine and a bunch others, I won't bother with it. Not only do consoles offer hassle-free gaming experiences, it also offers niche games that the PC will never see.

I'm peftectly fine with the level of detail current consoles offer and i'll be even happier comes next gen. I'll support the X720 and PS4 just like I supported the Wii U but I care not for a PC or Steambox outside my work laptop.

Around the Network

PC just isn't my cup of tea game-wise. I have a weird taste and PCs don't get many of those games. There are some but I don't need a gaming PC for them. A simple office one like I have is enough.
It's all about what you like to play. Then decide which hardware platforms are best for you.

superchunk said:
JayWood2010 said:

Im talking about the OT and multiple other comments youve made this thread. And same goes to kinect.  Personally I hate the thing but that doesn't mean that the 20m people who bought the thing does.  It just isn't aimed for me.  People have differnent preferences and while their probably isnt any casual gamers on this site, it doesn't mean that they should be excluded either.

RE: Kinect and its base. I wasn't asking those gamers as those gamers don't frequent a video game sales forum. Those gamers are also less likely to put together a PC or even consider putting it on their TV.

RE: Games I've ignored like your list.... I said I don't like Halo and I do like Gears. Anyone who is a racing nut will want a console for Forza/GT, sure. But, I was asking in a general sense of all content available. I accept the answers of specific group of games like the ones you listed. Still won't work for me, but, for a few others ok. As it is, it seems like over 99% of the content on a future Xbox will be on a win8 PC.

Well you could say that with any console.  In reality if I wanted to I could play any game on my PC but i dont like emulators.  Most games are multiplatform now and exclusives are a very small percent.  let's think of the big exclusives and Im not talking about every exclusive but the big ones that sell consoles.  Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Halo, Fable, Forza, Gears,  Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, God of war.  Then you have multplatform games that dont reach PC a lot of the time like Sports games, Red Dead Redemption, and Final Fantasy.  Then you have games that get rereleased years later on PC.  Their is plenty of reasons to buy consoles if you like games that I mentioned but exclusives are a small percentage of every console.

If one were to ask you why you got a WiiU I am sure you would say you got it for the games. Am I correct in this assumption?

If so, how could you then ask why should you get a 720 when those who respond can not mention any of the games?

Think about it a bit.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Lostplanet22 said:

It is pretty obvious that the X360 will not sell more than 50 million units

it is pretty obvious that 3rd pârty support for X360/PS3 will die and all shift to the cheaper Wii...

It is pretty obvious that the Wii will have 50% marketshare

It is pretty obvious that the X360/PS3 will come with a new console first and for sure not Nintendo...

some of your favourite quotes....

If you ask me it is pretty obvious that you still fucked up because of older stupid comments especially now that it looks like the next consoles from MS/Sony will indeed be a lot more powerfull.

If you were mind was not so trouble you would indeed see that it make sense to wait untill the console is announced and see what MS comes up with...No new exclusives and no new IP's are more the hope of an hater if you ask me...

LOL ahhh I've been on this site too long. I could also list all the things I've been right about, but meh.

Also, I don't think I said Nintendo definitely won't be first.... but yeah I did expect MS to be along side them or before. Also.. all of that was said no later than 2008 when Wii was still selling double the others. By late 2009, I admitted those things were wrong at one time or another.

MS's plans (aside from a new IP or three) are pretty well laid out.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
If one were to ask you why you got a WiiU I am sure you would say you got it for the games. Am I correct in this assumption?

If so, how could you then ask why should you get a 720 when those who respond can not mention any of the games?

Think about it a bit.

Not just the games, but Nintendo games and unique play style.

I only threw out Kinect games and stated I dislike Halo. I think many of you are taking this personal instead of just answering the question.

I agree with you about the exclusives. I strongly disagree with your PC analysis. A PC is the most unreliable piece of shit ever created.

I've had 1400 dollar laptops break within 2 years of purchase. At least, if your console dies, you can replace it at a much lower cost. Also, some games crash with greater frequency on a PC. At least you're guaranteed to play whatever you buy on a console.

The only reason to buy a PC is to play the games that are absolutely impossible to enjoy on a console such as RTS and some free-to-play games.

So many reasons...

1. I'm not going to build a 900 PC or anything. I don't really use my PC for anything intensive, and my 350 dollar PC is running everything I need just fine. So, I'd be paying a 600 dollar premium to have my computer be my gaming device.

2. I don't know how to build a PC, so I'd have to buy a premade one. So, a good gaming PC will be 1000 plus. Of course I can learn to build one, but that'd be a lot of effort for someone like me.

3. I want to know that what I buy can be played.

4. If I ever want to play Mega Man X for the SNES, I can make that happen within 5 minutes. If I want to play Day of the Tentacle? That'll take a little while.

5. Still third party games that do not come to 360. Bayonetta, Catherine, and Halo 4 come to mind.

6. If you have a laptop, have fun updating your graphics card.

And there are more reasons, but those are the basic. To put it simply, consoles are simpler. I'm sure PC gaming makes more sense for some people, but not for me or many others.

superchunk said:
Euphoria14 said:

Think about it a bit.

Not just the games, but Nintendo games and unique play style.

I only threw out Kinect games and stated I dislike Halo. I think many of you are taking this personal instead of just answering the question.

That's games.

I am also not taking this personal in the least. I just truly believe this thread is way too premature to be asking this question. This is evident by you not liking the games you already know come to XBox, believing you already know what the console will offer in terms of features and find it not worth the investment and that the one thing that might sway you are possible new IP reveals at E3.

In other words, this can't be answered until after E3 and even then, you will know what is to be offered and if it still isn't to your liking nobody here can make you think otherwise.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

reggin_bolas said:
I agree with you about the exclusives. I strongly disagree with your PC analysis. A PC is the most unreliable piece of shit ever created.

I've had 1400 dollar laptops break within 2 years of purchase. At least, if your console dies, you can replace it at a much lower cost. Also, some games crash with greater frequency on a PC. At least you're guaranteed to play whatever you buy on a console.

The only reason to buy a PC is to play the games that are absolutely impossible to enjoy on a console such as RTS and some free-to-play games.

Build your own and they will never break in 2yrs. I've had two PCs since 2000. One built in 2000 and one in 2008. 2000 finally broke in late 2010 and replaced did a cheap low-end rebuild with a $120 mobo/cpu/mem combo. Both have had zero other upgrades and run win7 perfectly fine.

Now niether were built for gaming, but both could play nearly every newer game (not on full settings of course) for well over the first 3-5yrs. (had Wii for 5yrs and PS3 for 2.5yrs)

But I will give you that game updates and patches, etc and such were more of a PITA on PC than I've ever had on a console. But that seems to have even changed on consoles over this last gen.