By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why would I ever want to purchase a neXtBox 720?

I was reading up on some PC builds today and thinking about my next build. I then started considering all the new stuff in Win8 in regards to Xbox and Live. Then it hit me... why the fuck would I ever want to buy any future "Xbox" console?

• Steam and OnLive will allow nearly every single 3rd party game in at least the same capacity as any Xbox would.
  • Many of the Xbox exlusive titles, still come to PC at some point and in reality only Gears matters to me and I thought that did go PC eventually anyways.
  • I can use a kb/ms OR a wireless Xbox controller, so there is actually a far better controller option than Xbox offers.
  • I would have full access to Live in the same fashion as an Xbox would for digital games and other entertainment.
  • Plus, when it comes to the other entertainment, a PC with Win8 can do all of that without Live subscription anyways, so really I save on the subscription fees.
  • In addition to that savings, a PC is far more useful than any gaming entertainment console that the next Xbox will become.

Same games, same controls, more control options, free online, better non-gaming applications, etc etc.

The only downside I can think of would be initial price. I'm sure the neXtBox will be $350 to $450 and it would take up to $900 or so for a PC I'd want to build. However, that is a non-issue as I would build the PC anyways. Only difference, is I'd ensure I had it in a nice case I'd want to see near my TV.

So again, I ask, why would anyone want to buy a neXtBox over simply adding a nice Win8 PC to their TV?

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Exclusives from the first party and some exclusives from third parties.

Both current gen and the upcoming gen.

I touched on both of those.

What 3rd party games don't show up in Steam/PC or Onlive? I honestly can't think of any.

The only MS first party I like is Gears and I'm pretty sure that always gets a late PC release. I least I thought it did. In the end, that one game is not enough.

What other first party title is there beyond Halo?

Unless you want halo/gears there's really no reason at all. I use PC primarily, and ps3 because I prefer PlayStation exclusives to Xbox. I got my pc for around £300/$480 which can run any game (not on ultra) at 1080p 60fps so price isn't a problem either.

Edit: Also pc games are cheaper and STEAM SALES!!!!!

Halo.

I didn't read your whole post, I just scanned it for Halo after reading your closing question. Halo is the answer for many.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Well that's Microsoft's entire goal right? Make the console so similar to a PC that you might as well buy into the Win8 PC/phone/tablet thing and not get one. It's not like they make amazing money from the Xbox division.

Around the Network
toadslayer72 said:
Halo.

I didn't read your whole post, I just scanned it for Halo after reading your closing question. Halo is the answer for many.

I think Halo is a boring horrible game. So I ignored it on purpose. However, my opinion is also that buying a console for literally one game is a waste of money too.

But if that is the only answer many need, then so be it. I'm just pondering the overall idea of Xbox as a console.

I think I said this before but unless you are a big fan of Halo and Gears I don't see any big reasons (outside of price) to own a 360. I personally prefer PC for the 3rd party games. There's also Xbox Live which is pretty amazing but I don't like paying for online gaming.

Nintendo and PC gamer

This thread is a pretty close minded way of looking at things

Why would ANYONE buy ANY console when you could always build a better PC. The answer is simple, many people especially those that arent "hardcore gamers" like the ease of use a console offers. If you go to the store to buy a 360 or PS3 game you know you can go straight home, stick it in your console and it will run perfectly fine. You also know there is zero need to worry about upgrading parts and compatibility issues until the next console releases.

For many core gamers like us PC gaming isnt that difficukt to figure out but we are the minority. The vast majority of gamers who play on console dont know anything about how to build a rig, how Steam works, or how to even gauge system requirements

MS will be perfectly happy if you do that. It is there primary goal with the XBox brand anyway, to push high-end gaming PC's and bridge the office and living room. They will make more money if you buy the PC. Also, the price isn't much different if you subsribe to Live. A person who bought a 360 at launch and had gold for 8 years at this point would have paid around $400 + $50*8 = $800.

Soleron said:
Well that's Microsoft's entire goal right? Make the console so similar to a PC that you might as well buy into the Win8 PC/phone/tablet thing and not get one. It's not like they make amazing money from the Xbox division.

Not excatly, Microsoft get a percentage of money for every xbox 360 game sold. For PC they just get the intitial price of windows and thats it, unless you use windows 8 market or buy a microsoft tablet. Microsoft dont want people to game on pc's (unless there using windows 8 marketplace) because they dont make any money from the sale of games on pc.