By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3 / X360 SW Drop Off is now entering the terminal phase

Does anyone has separate data for PS3 and Xbox 360? Are they individualy in the "danger zone" or only when combined?

Around the Network

Finally someone with a realistic hardware prediction for next year. Take note all the Sony fans that think only a 5-10 percent drop is realistic.

ktay95 said:
but but the the ga..games! so many good games are coming :(

your still gonna get the games, it doesnt matter how the consoles sell now

It was going 2 happen sometime, keen 2 get my hands on some next gen

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Ton's of huge games releasing 2013 could be a good year.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

Ton's of huge games releasing 2013 could be a good year.

How many units do you think the PS3 will sell next year?

lol so basically 360 for 2012 was Halo 4 and Cod
or Borderlands and Cod

Or Cod + ?

It's just that simple.

binary solo said:
Barozi said:
Okay time for a new episode of Bold Prediction Time !!!

- Xbox 360 will move 1 billion software units -

It only needs 2 more years without too much of a drop in SW sales to get there. Doable this year with no self competition. But 2014? Will 360 even be on the market through all of 2014?

2012 Xbox 360 Yearly SW: LTD HW ~ 1.93

So 360 ratio is higher than PS3, but it's still in the Source's danger zone.

I wonder if part of this drop is because late generation sales might be in part early gen buyers replacing machines and increased cross ownership. If I have a PS3 and decide to get a 360 then the number of games I'm inclined to buy is pretty low, limited more or less to the exclusives. Same with PS3 owners picking up a 360 for cheap.

The 2008 peak year is interesting because that year the 360 ratio was 4.06 and the PS3 ratio was 4.58. And 2009 was a precipitous drop to below 3 for both systems, with PS3 being a touch higher than 360. In 2010 PS3 again had a slightly higher ration than 360. In 2011 it was the same with PS3 having a marginally higher ratio. So things flipped in 2012 with 360 getting the higher ratio as the 2 systems entered the terminal phase. Given the margin for error with software sales the differences between PS3 and 360 over the last 3 are essentially negligible.

There's another factor to this terminal phase that's unique this gen compared to previous and that's the significant digital market. I would like to see the industry figures on the market share for digital sales. If it's 5% of total sales then 360 is actually out of the danger zone for 2012 at 2.02 and PS3 is still in the danger zone. At 7% market share PS3 is out of the danger zone for 2012 (just). However there's nothing that can stop 2013 plunging into the danger zone even factoring in digital game sales.

it will be interetsing when the big 3 companies start mentioning the download effect serioulsy,i don't think it saves the generation or anything but i have bought loads of games from psn in the last couple of years and increasingly full game titles with the sales they have and old games becoming worth it pricewise,not to mention the plus dowloads that are rented

Above & Beyond

kain_kusanagi said:

Does anyone has separate data for PS3 and Xbox 360? Are they individualy in the "danger zone" or only when combined?

Trend should be the same for both.

brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Trend should be the same for both.

Why would that be the case? They are different platforms with different markets and different fanbases.