By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA 4: XBox 360 exclusive content vs PS3 past fanbase

Auron said:
The worse console of the two will have better sales due to DLC and a bigger userbase.

Your stealth is pretty good. I give you a 3.5/5, not too shabby.

OT: I think, as some others have pointed out, it'll sell better in NA on the 360, and probably better on the PS3 in EU. We'll have to wait to see which outweighs the other, I suppose.

Around the Network

GTA4 on 360 will sell little shy of doubling ps3 sales.

Best European Sales: PS3
Best Japanese Sales: PS3
Beat American Sales: Xbox 360

Overall: Tie

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

Beat up that hooker: 50 Achievement points!
I have to think 360, the largest console base in America and the largest base of fans of the GTA series is in America, put 2 and 2 together and you get the picture. Because of the exclusive DLC on 360 I might say tie is Europe, and just plainly PS3 in Japan.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

ManusJustusNardus said:
TheBigFatJ said:

While I think it's very likely that the PS3 will pass the 360 sometime late in 2009, putting the 360 into 3rd place, you're probably right: there's no way the PS3 will have those kinds of sales relative to the 360.

I guess we will have to wait and see how PS3 lineup does this year, but I think 2009 is still pushing it since PS3 would have to outsell XBox 360 by 70,000 units a week from here on out. I think that XBox 360 and PS3 will stay close until the end of the generation, and if PS3 does come in second place (first place is out of the question for both XBox 360 and PS3) it would only happen near the end of this generation. With that prediction in mind, I'll still be happy because a close showing or tie with Sony is good for Microsoft and the American gaming industry.

Predicting a year into the future is somewhat difficult.  The PS3 could pick up steam just like the DS picked up steam, especially in America.  The 360 has had two years of flat sales -- I begin to wonder whether its sales will go up or down for 2008, especially in the face of a potentially good PS3 lineup and possibly another PS3 price drop.  Europe and Japan have continually sucked for Microsoft.  If Sony can get sales of the PS3 in America to even approach those of the 360, which I think is reasonable, then they can quite possibly make up an average of 70,000 units per week in Europe and Japan combined.  

Doesn't that sound reasonable?  Perhaps even probable.  Sony is the smarter and more diverse company.  They've succeeded in many areas.  Microsoft has one profitable division.

The mission statement of the Xbox is to protect the windows monopoly and extend it into the living room.  Microsoft doesn't mind losing money to do that, but their investors may not see as much value if they have to continue hemhoragging money.  Microsoft needs to increase the quality of its product.  Third parties have been doing fine by them, but the quality of the MS product is even below Microsoft's standards.

Perhaps even a majority of 360 owners this generation will experience an untimely failure.  Considering the press that the 360 failures have gotten, and the remaining loyal MS fan response of "mine hasn't failed yet", what do you think they'll consider next generation when MS and Sony have new products out? Sure, there are some zealots out there, but your average gamer isn't interested in dealing with hardware failures.

Around the Network

Since this game is USA dominate game, like most games that focus on killing and violence, and that the 360 has a much larger user base in the USA and it has established itself as the "best" version of the game due to the extra content....

I would say the 360 will outsell the PS3 version by about 2m. However, as a pusher of unit sales, it will help the PS3 more since it has the most to gain.

aspirin said:
IMHO even without exclusive contents they can easily outsell ps3 version.
See xbox360 userbase compared to ps3.

Lets not forget those ps2 fans, that have played gta from the begining.  I know about 3 people who haven't got a ps3 yet and love gta - are now getting a ps3.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

^^Don't forget that a lot of those PS3 fans have gone with a 360 this gen.

Also, if hardware quality was a factor in choosing a console, noone would have bought a PS2. I just have one acronym for you: DRE.

You can also all be sure that, in the outside chance that PS3 hits $299, you can be damn sure the Pro will be sub-$250, and the Arcade sub-$150

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

@TheBigFatJ,

You have some mistakes.

Xbox 360 is now profitable so the shareholder argument doesnt hold water anymore. Shareholders dont say kill something that is now profitable because in the past it wasnt. If MS shareholders did Windows would have died years ago.

Xbox 360 sales to consumers jumped 22% if I recall correctly. Yes they didnt ship as many to stores, but they sold more to consumers. Last year MS gave all sorts of incentives to retailers to take extra stock. Retailers had special bundles, rebates, coupons all holiday season last year because MS passed $ onto them so they would stockpile consoles. Shipments of 360's nearly all year long in 2007 were down because retailers didnt need to replinish. Yet in the end more 360's were sold to consumers. Not to mention the RRoD problem held back sales until MS came forward and gave people the 3 year warranty.

Also notice in 2008 the 360 has already sold as much in 3 weeks that the 360 sold in 2007 in 4 weeks. This while the most popular 360 sku's are in short supply.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

360 Version will sell more because of the userbase, not the content. I personally could give two shakes of a lambs tail about "additional chapters." And MANY people I know almost NEVER touch the storyline to begin with, so I'm much more inclined to believe they won't be buying a version based on extra storyline. However I believe the target demograph and userbase will sell more on the 360.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.