By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA 4: XBox 360 exclusive content vs PS3 past fanbase

thx1138said,
""This while the most popular 360 sku's are in short supply.""

==> any link man ?

I personnaly think the Wii is sold out, not the Xbox360

Time to Work !

Around the Network

The sales will be roughly equal. I had some predictions in another thread, but I seem to have forgotten which...
Having no search function is becoming tedious.

Bingoo said:
I dont think MGS4 is the system seller most people make it out to be...

i disagree. MGS always sells millions of units each time and MGS4 is more hyped up then any of the other 3 so we will see a bump up in systems sold when it drops.

How much and how long is the question............

@1ibellule

Didnt say the 360 was sold out, but to ignore the reports all over the internet that the Premium and the Elite have been/still are in short supply this january is foolish.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

may be like AC percentage ?!
1.5 : 2.5

oh no ..
I would say
2 for PS3 and 3 for X360
4 million PS3
6 million 360

Around the Network

I think GTAIV will definitely sell more on the 360; however, I think the attach rate will be greater on the ps3.

But, maybe I'm wrong...the ps3 has more solid games coming out this year so GTAIV will be "the game to get" this year if you own a 360. For the ps3...MGS4, KZII, or LBP may be "the game to get" for many.  So the attatch rate might actually be higher on the 360.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

I think it depends on how much they advertise the exclusive content. The masses probably don't know it's even different. So there are two things going on here. People who own the consoles and buy the game, and people who buy the console for the game.

If you have both consoles (and the game plays the same on both), then they will probably buy the 360 version.

The attack rate for the game will probably be the same across both consoles, so the 360 will probably sell more for people who own a console.

When looking to buy a console to play the game, I think there are a lot of other factors that will weigh in that overpowers the extra missions. If they want a blu-ray player, if they love Halo, XBL, MG, all those things will probably slant the buyer one way or the other a lot more then the extra missions of this one game.

A quick question. Is the additional DL content a timed exclusive, or will it come to the PS3 at some point? (or will the PS3 someday get their own exclusive content?)

libellule said:
thx1138said,
""This while the most popular 360 sku's are in short supply.""

==> any link man ?

I personnaly think the Wii is sold out, not the Xbox360

I just took the dive and bought an Elite 360.  I had to go 5 stores to find one in stock.  I didn't see any on display at Circuit City so I had to ask a guy to go check in the back.  So I finally got one.  This was two weeks ago.

Gazz's prediction:

It will sell better on PS3 IF!!! the PS3 hasn't been cracked by then. The level of piracy will affect sales on the 360 too much. I also expect a pirated version of Live and PSN to appear soon, so online play will be irrelevant as an argument.

Europe and Japan will both have the PS3 with more sold units then the 360. The US could go either way. I expect multiple trailers of LA noir to appear around GTA4 launch to keep the noses of the "hardcore" crowd pointed towards the Playstation.

Expansions hardly matter to the casual gamers (unless it's for the sims).

In the end this game will benefit both platforms anyway.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

I think its pretty obvious that the 360 version will outsell the PS3 version in North America and Other regions thanks to the larger more dedicated user base. Not only is the user base larger by far, but also the owners seem to be much looser with their cash. Basically they buy a lot more games then their PS3 counter parts. Further more it falls at a more opportune time for the 360 then it does for the PS3. Too much goodness on the PS3 in the short term will hinder sales.

The game will also sell more 360 consoles most likely securing a permanent lead. While some PS3 enthusiasts might point to rumors of further price cuts. The reality is that it is far from likely seeing as Sony at some point must make money off of their machine, and Microsoft and Nintendo are truncating that time table. Meanwhile Microsoft is in a very good position for another price cut having had more production time, and only offering half a reduction that Sony introduced last year.

Even for the sake of argument if Sony did reduce the price on their machine to three hundred dollars in North America. I highly doubt it would be across the board. Europe seems to always get the hose in that respect. Their machine being of a lesser quality, but higher price. Microsoft would simply undercut them. Which could mean a two hundred dollar pro. Sony wouldn't be doing themselves any favors at that price the 360 would be solidly mainstream. Even then if they kept the core it could be as little as a hundred and fifty dollars. Hard to imagine even the casually interested not snatching the machine up at that price. Given that its also a DVD player. Which means that the gaming component would cost maybe twice the price of a single game.

I just do not see Sony pushing the pricing issue. They had to cut costs to save their machine far earlier then they anticipated or even wanted. Another drastic cut and they force Microsoft right into the kill spot. Which in turn will probably get a cut from Nintendo, and then the situation goes all to hell for them. They might lose on the price front, but if they force a price war of this scope they will lose and lose badly. They are just lucky that Microsoft is looking at profitability rather then market dominance at this point.

Anyway if you believe Sony, and what they have said about PS3 pricing they will not perform another price reduction this year unless the machine starts performing real well in the area of sales without a price reduction. They will pour gasoline on the roaring fire to make it even bigger, but they will not pour it on if the fire is smoldering.

The content while bantered about isn't a major factor in the debate its a great way for Microsoft to generate after sale profits. Given the developers I would expect serious episodic content with a real story, new toys, and entertaining features. Which means it will probably be worth what Microsoft supposedly paid for it. That will only become relevant next holiday season not when the game goes on the market.

Brand loyalty took a real kick in the sack when Sony abandoned backwards compatibility. Further more the bad year and a half probably has sapped a lot of the positivity towards the machine out of the market. So this is just another non issue. Unless someone has lived under a rock, and hasn't formulated an opinion at this point the view on purchasing the machine for this game will be more critical, and a lot less optimistic.