By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the deal with the Wii U in Europe?

Train wreck said:

I dont buy the economic crisis excuse

DS and Wii had record sales during the height of the financial crisis in 2008 and 2009 (nintendo had record profits)...next excuse.

In a recession, ppl buy what is the cheapest. The DS and Wii being both the 2 cheapest consoles on the market, it's normal that ppl were buying it. Now WiiU is the most expansive console on the market making it the least attractive.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network

OK guys. Here are my photos that can help you see one of the reasons that Nintendo is strugglig in Europe and why it's them who need to pick up their game, not us, Europeans.

So, I live in a 1.3 mil aglomeration, so quite big for Europe. Poland is the 6th economy in the UE, also has the 6th biggest population. These are photos from probably the biggest store with games in my city. I often buy games here.

This is the Sony Domain:

PS3 games:

More games (and some dude's butt):

A stand with games for PS Move:

Vita games:

PSP games:

Vitas and PSPs:

Wonderbook:

There are also stands with PS3s, with accessories for Vita, PSP and PS3, but I'm going to spare you these photos ;) So to sum up, there is quite a big choice, you can always find something for you, Playstations is strong.

Now, the Microsoft Domain:

A bunch of accessories:

Gaemz!

Moar gaemz!

Kinect Gaemz!

There are also some other random stands with some X360 games, accessories, the consoles, etc. It's less than Sony, but it still is present, it's really comparable to what PS3 gets.

Moreover, there are also 4 consoles people can play in the store. You can play an X-box 360 Kinect game, a PS3 Move game, PS All Stars Battle Royal and a Vita.

So what is left?...

TEH NINTENDO DOMAIN!!

Ta-damm!

Oh yeah! This is ALL! There is no other hidden stand, nothing else. You may notice, there are no consoles here. I asked the clerk about it and they said they have one Wii U in store, but they don't want to waste the display space, so it's in the warehouse.

If you look close you may see a brilliant division that helps to cover all the Nintendo consoles:

Are you guys impressed? Add this to the fact that PS3 and X360 games are translated into our language, while Nintendo games aren't. So... can you find another reason why Wii U struggles in Europe? This shop isn't anything extraordinary, it's like that in every shop - if they have Nintendo stuff at all. Smaller shops just skip Nintendo all the way, shops with used games don't deal with Nintendo games as well.

So please, the next time I say Nintendo needs to pull its sh*t together and start caring about us, don't attack me for it. Nintendo doesn't give a f*ck about us and they get what they deserve! If you don't care about a market, you won't achieve a success. Simple as that. When Nintendo looks at Europe, they only see UK, France and maybe Germany and totally p*ss on the rest of the continent. Their competition is active here and doing fine. Nintendo will never challenge them this way and only Nintendo is to blame for this situation. So you'd better not expect Wii U sales to challenge Sony and MS in Europe. They don't deserve to.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:

TEH NINTENDO DOMAIN!!

Ta-damm!

Oh yeah! This is ALL! There is no other hidden stand, nothing else. You may notice, there are no consoles here. I asked the clerk about it and they said they have one Wii U in store, but they don't want to waste the display space, so it's in the warehouse.

If you look close you may see a brilliant division that helps to cover all the Nintendo consoles:

I am speechless. The Poles are amazing!

guys.. guys.. just wait for this.. and that.. and a few more holidays.. and then.. talk about the '10 year' life of the console..

I think that picture is pretty telling. I think I/someone else should do a thread about say what life is like in the world for things like game prices, internet speeds/caps etc and availability of services like Netflex/Hulu.

Tease.

Around the Network

Economy? (look at Greece for instance)

Their undying love for Sony products?

I have no idea to be honest..

Nintendo could have a hard time trying to appeal to the European crowd, as they are a strange beast when it comes to taste in games, and hard to pinpoint.. You know to get Japanese support you just need to crank out Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, 2D Mario, quirky mini games, JRPGs, etc.. In the US you of course have FPS, WRPGs, 2D Mario, Dance games, etc.. But what to Europeans favor? I guess if we were going to go by their love of Sony games, I'd say it's more cinema heavy action/adventure games, but cinema heavy isn't really Nintendo's style (thankfully), so I dunno...

Scisca said:

OK guys. Here are my photos that can help you see one of the reasons that Nintendo is strugglig in Europe and why it's them who need to pick up their game, not us, Europeans.

So, I live in a 1.3 mil aglomeration, so quite big for Europe. Poland is the 6th economy in the UE, also has the 6th biggest population. These are photos from probably the biggest store with games in my city. I often buy games here.

[... snip ...]

So please, the next time I say Nintendo needs to pull its sh*t together and start caring about us, don't attack me for it. Nintendo doesn't give a f*ck about us and they get what they deserve! If you don't care about a market, you won't achieve a success. Simple as that. When Nintendo looks at Europe, they only see UK, France and maybe Germany and totally p*ss on the rest of the continent. Their competition is active here and doing fine. Nintendo will never challenge them this way and only Nintendo is to blame for this situation. So you'd better not expect Wii U sales to challenge Sony and MS in Europe. They don't deserve to.

So polish shops hate Nintendo. That is really impressive. I live in germany. Should I take photos here?

Both our countries have the Euro, so come over and buy Nintendo-products here in germany. Where the shops doesn't hate Nintendo that obviously like in Poland.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ryuzaki57 said:
Scisca said:

I am speechless. The Poles are amazing!

Based on this comment I guess is not the same in France, oh and I bet you would love to live in Poland now :p

Nintendo and PC gamer

Metallicube said:

Economy? (look at Greece for instance)

Their undying love for Sony products?

I have no idea to be honest..

Nintendo could have a hard time trying to appeal to the European crowd, as they are a strange beast when it comes to taste in games, and hard to pinpoint.. You know to get Japanese support you just need to crank out Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, 2D Mario, quirky mini games, JRPGs, etc.. In the US you of course have FPS, WRPGs, 2D Mario, Dance games, etc.. But what to Europeans favor? I guess if we were going to go by their love of Sony games, I'd say it's more cinema heavy action/adventure games, but cinema heavy isn't really Nintendo's style (thankfully), so I dunno...

We europeans are no strange beast - we are simply different countries, unlike the other two regions that consist only (Japan) or mainly (America) of sales in one country. But people from Spain, the UK, France, Poland or Italy have often a different culture and different tastes. It got a bit easier now that many of the countries have the same currency, but by far not all have. There are different governmental regulations, different languages and so on. That all makes the business difficult in europe - but that doesn't makes us strange.  

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Scisca said:

This is the Sony Domain:

PS3 games:

More games (and some dude's butt):

A stand with games for PS Move:

Vita games:

PSP games:

Vitas and PSPs:

Wonderbook:

There are also stands with PS3s, with accessories for Vita, PSP and PS3, but I'm going to spare you these photos ;) So to sum up, there is quite a big choice, you can always find something for you, Playstations is strong.

Now, the Microsoft Domain:

A bunch of accessories:

Gaemz!

Moar gaemz!

Kinect Gaemz!

There are also some other random stands with some X360 games, accessories, the consoles, etc. It's less than Sony, but it still is present, it's really comparable to what PS3 gets.

Moreover, there are also 4 consoles people can play in the store. You can play an X-box 360 Kinect game, a PS3 Move game, PS All Stars Battle Royal and a Vita.

So what is left?...

TEH NINTENDO DOMAIN!!

Ta-damm!

Are you guys impressed? Add this to the fact that PS3 and X360 games are translated into our language, while Nintendo games aren't. So... can you find another reason why Wii U struggles in Europe? This shop isn't anything extraordinary, it's like that in every shop - if they have Nintendo stuff at all. Smaller shops just skip Nintendo all the way, shops with used games don't deal with Nintendo games as well.

LOL!!!!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.