By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the deal with the Wii U in Europe?

High price. Economic crisis. No Mario Kart U. No WiiU Sports.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

I really expect Nintendo to do a 3DS again. Price Cut this August, release of MKU and a new 3D Mario -> sell the system at a loss for ~6 months, but watch the WiiU fly off the shelves^^

KHlover said:
HoloDust said:

I really expect Nintendo to do a 3DS again. Price Cut this August, release of MKU and a new 3D Mario -> sell the system at a loss for ~6 months, but watch the WiiU fly off the shelves^^

I don't see that happen. So far Nintendo has only a problem in Europe. Will they going to pricecut only in Europe? That will kill sales in the US probably.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

We're in financial chaos over here and we barely have any stock of the console to begin with, the UK only got 20k consoles at launch, it's nothing to do with us prefering Playstation because Nintendo's brand is equally strong here. New consoles often take a bit of time to get going over here as well.

Mnementh said:
KHlover said:
HoloDust said:

I don't see that happen. So far Nintendo has only a problem in Europe. Will they going to pricecut only in Europe? That will kill sales in the US probably.

If a release of MKU does not manage to substantially improve the sales in Europe im afraid they'll have to cut the price - worldwide, if they want to avoid what you described. However, until a new MK is released the WiiU should already sell at a win, if they cut the price 2-3 months after the release of the game they shouldn't lose too much money. With the 3DS, DS and unexpectedly even Wii being strong they also should manage to avoid losses at all, after that the situation should be quite 3DS-like: very positive.

Around the Network

*shrug*

It's only been a few weeks. I'll wait to see what Wii Fit U, Rayman Legends, Monster Hunter, Pikmin, 101, etc do.

KHlover said:

If a release of MKU does not manage to substantially improve the sales in Europe im afraid they'll have to cut the price - worldwide, if they want to avoid what you described. However, until a new MK is released the WiiU should already sell at a win, if they cut the price 2-3 months after the release of the game they shouldn't lose too much money. With the 3DS, DS and unexpectedly even Wii being strong they also should manage to avoid losses at all, after that the situation should be quite 3DS-like: very positive.

What turned 3DS were the games in my opinion, not mainly the pricecut. So yes, MKU should be very important. But I think they will wait with that game, because they don't want to damage Sonic Allstars Racing too much. Basically Sonic Racing is a good replacement for Mario Kart, but it has not the same strong name. Rabbidland is a Mario Party by the way (although a bad one). Nintendo seems to be willing to let much room for third parties here.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DieAppleDie said:
Lack of ads before it was released
Overall lack of info
Economic crysis

I have seen a shit load of Wii U ads (though they are only showing the same one time after time where I live). Unfortunately, it's beyond awful.

It's that ZombiU/Ninja-throwing-star-thingy - isn't it? With some kid that sounds like a derp? Yeah, that one sucks ass. Even my gf thinks it sucks.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I guess we have to wait and see how PS720 will do next year in Europe...

Scisca said:
superchunk said:
yeah no shit. Europeans need to step the fuck up. Its the only region with mediocre sales. Not horrible, just not launch/xmas style.

No. It's not us, who have to step up. It's Nintendo. I'm very happy about the Wii U sales, hope they decline even more. Why? Cause Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about us. To back this claim up, I'll go to the biggest gaming store in my city tomorrow and take photos showing you what the shelfs of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo consoles look like. Trust me, you will be shocked.

Time to show those photos ;)