By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the deal with the Wii U in Europe?

Scisca said:

OK guys. Here are my photos that can help you see one of the reasons that Nintendo is strugglig in Europe and why it's them who need to pick up their game, not us, Europeans.

So, I live in a 1.3 mil aglomeration, so quite big for Europe. Poland is the 6th economy in the UE, also has the 6th biggest population. These are photos from probably the biggest store with games in my city. I often buy games here.

This is the Sony Domain:

PS3 games:

Are you guys impressed? Add this to the fact that PS3 and X360 games are translated into our language, while Nintendo games aren't. So... can you find another reason why Wii U struggles in Europe? This shop isn't anything extraordinary, it's like that in every shop - if they have Nintendo stuff at all. Smaller shops just skip Nintendo all the way, shops with used games don't deal with Nintendo games as well.

So please, the next time I say Nintendo needs to pull its sh*t together and start caring about us, don't attack me for it. Nintendo doesn't give a f*ck about us and they get what they deserve! If you don't care about a market, you won't achieve a success. Simple as that. When Nintendo looks at Europe, they only see UK, France and maybe Germany and totally p*ss on the rest of the continent. Their competition is active here and doing fine. Nintendo will never challenge them this way and only Nintendo is to blame for this situation. So you'd better not expect Wii U sales to challenge Sony and MS in Europe. They don't deserve to.

If the clerk even told you they have WiiU´s and just don´t want to "waste display" I´d see this more as a case of the store hating Nintendo, not vice versa^^

Around the Network

Just too expansive... 1$ =/= 1euro

Mnementh said:
Scisca said:

OK guys. Here are my photos that can help you see one of the reasons that Nintendo is strugglig in Europe and why it's them who need to pick up their game, not us, Europeans.

So, I live in a 1.3 mil aglomeration, so quite big for Europe. Poland is the 6th economy in the UE, also has the 6th biggest population. These are photos from probably the biggest store with games in my city. I often buy games here.

[... snip ...]

So please, the next time I say Nintendo needs to pull its sh*t together and start caring about us, don't attack me for it. Nintendo doesn't give a f*ck about us and they get what they deserve! If you don't care about a market, you won't achieve a success. Simple as that. When Nintendo looks at Europe, they only see UK, France and maybe Germany and totally p*ss on the rest of the continent. Their competition is active here and doing fine. Nintendo will never challenge them this way and only Nintendo is to blame for this situation. So you'd better not expect Wii U sales to challenge Sony and MS in Europe. They don't deserve to.

So polish shops hate Nintendo. That is really impressive. I live in germany. Should I take photos here?

Both our countries have the Euro, so come over and buy Nintendo-products here in germany. Where the shops doesn't hate Nintendo that obviously like in Poland.

What? Seriously? You really think it's the Polish shops that hate Nintendo? Ok, think about this. There is no Nintendo Poland. The consoles are being imported by some Austrian company called Stadlbauer, so there is no support, no representatives that care about the franchise and the products and could, for example, go to a shop and negotiate some space on the shelves. There are no ads, no nothing. If I select Poland as my country of origin in my Wii, I can't play online or browse Internet - it just blocks all online features. I have to play under an Irish flag (cause online works when I select a different country!) and I find it kinda humiliating. It's not the shops that hate Nintendo. It's Nintendo that doesn't give a crap about us. And they get what they deserve. Like I said, Nintendo looks at Europe and sees UK, France and Germany. And there's a lot more to Europe than that. I mean, just look:

http://www.nintendo.pl/

What do you see in their Polish official page? A Wii and a DSi. DSi!! There is a section for 3DS, but nothing dealing with Wii U. So yeah, it's the shops. It's not Nintendo's fault, no way... They are the victims, we are just a nation of haters. Keep on believing this. Even at the bottom of the page you can see it belongs to "Nintendo GmbH", so not to a company established in Poland ("GmbH" is German for "Ltd.", Polish one is "Sp. z o.o.").

PS. We don't have Euro in Poland (thank God...). We have our own currency, Złoty. I hope it stays this way.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Mnementh said:
Scisca said:

[... snip ...]

So polish shops hate Nintendo. That is really impressive. I live in germany. Should I take photos here?

Both our countries have the Euro, so come over and buy Nintendo-products here in germany. Where the shops doesn't hate Nintendo that obviously like in Poland.

What? Seriously? You really think it's the Polish shops that hate Nintendo? Ok, think about this. There is no Nintendo Poland. The consoles are being imported by some Austrian company called Stadlbauer, so there is no support, no representatives that care about the franchise and the products and could, for example, go to a shop and negotiate some space on the shelves. There are no ads, no nothing. If I select Poland as my country of origin in my Wii, I can't play online or browse Internet - it just blocks all online features. I have to play under an Irish flag (cause online works when I select a different country!) and I find it kinda humiliating. It's not the shops that hate Nintendo. It's Nintendo that doesn't give a crap about us. And they get what they deserve. Like I said, Nintendo looks at Europe and sees UK, France and Germany. And there's a lot more to Europe than that. I mean, just look:

What do you see in their Polish official page? A Wii and a DSi. DSi!! There is a section for 3DS, but nothing dealing with Wii U. So yeah, it's the shops. It's not Nintendo's fault, no way... They are the victims, we are just a nation of haters. Keep on believing this. Even at the bottom of the page you can see it belongs to "Nintendo GmbH", so not to a company established in Poland ("GmbH" is a German for "Ltd.", Polish one is "Sp. z o.o.").

PS. We don't have Euro in Poland (thank God...). We have our own currency, Złoty. I hope it stays this way.

I think you're in a similar situation as we Nordic folks; we got a company that imports and distributes Nintendo's games. We're apparently too small for Nintendo to care about. So it's not Nintendo's fault really, it's the middle hands!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Scisca said:
Mnementh said:
Scisca said:

[... snip ...]

What do you see in their Polish official page? A Wii and a DSi. DSi!! There is a section for 3DS, but nothing dealing with Wii U. So yeah, it's the shops. It's not Nintendo's fault, no way... They are the victims, we are just a nation of haters. Keep on believing this. Even at the bottom of the page you can see it belongs to "Nintendo GmbH", so not to a company established in Poland ("GmbH" is a German for "Ltd.", Polish one is "Sp. z o.o.").

Wow man you really like to complain, you guys at least have a web page, you know what my country have? Nothing, not even ads, all Nintendo and Sony products come from another country (can't remember if it's Mexico or Panama). The same things happens in all Central America and some few others from South America. If it wasn't for dedicated gaming stores it would be almost impossible to get games in my country. The games that you can find at Wallmarts and similar stores are the casual ones like Just Dance and those kind of games (You can also find million sellers like New Super Mario Bros or Mario Kart but that's about it). You are just complaining for something that happens in 95% of the world...

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Metallicube said:

Economy? (look at Greece for instance)

Their undying love for Sony products?

I have no idea to be honest..

Nintendo could have a hard time trying to appeal to the European crowd, as they are a strange beast when it comes to taste in games, and hard to pinpoint.. You know to get Japanese support you just need to crank out Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, 2D Mario, quirky mini games, JRPGs, etc.. In the US you of course have FPS, WRPGs, 2D Mario, Dance games, etc.. But what to Europeans favor? I guess if we were going to go by their love of Sony games, I'd say it's more cinema heavy action/adventure games, but cinema heavy isn't really Nintendo's style (thankfully), so I dunno...

We europeans are no strange beast - we are simply different countries, unlike the other two regions that consist only (Japan) or mainly (America) of sales in one country. But people from Spain, the UK, France, Poland or Italy have often a different culture and different tastes. It got a bit easier now that many of the countries have the same currency, but by far not all have. There are different governmental regulations, different languages and so on. That all makes the business difficult in europe - but that doesn't makes us strange.  

Meant no offense, I was just talking in terms of gaming tastes, in that it is varied and hard to nail down, not in general :P

I actually think Europe has things figured out and together more than the US in many respects. Italy is one of my top destinations to visit when I get the means as it's the land of my ancestors and just looks like a very cultured, very interesting place to check out. Also, the food I hear is top notch.. My sister already beat me to the punch and I'm jealous as hell of her for it..

osed125 said:
Wow man you really like to complain, you guys at least have a web page, you what my country have? Nothing, all Nintendo and Sony products come from another country (can't remember if it's Mexico or Panama). If it wasn't for dedicated gaming stores it would be almost impossible to get games in my country. The games that you can find at Wallmarts and similar stores are the casual ones like Just Dance and those kind of games. You are just complaining for something that happens in 95% of the world...

This is a thread about why Nintendo is doing so bad in Europe, so I showed you one additional reason. I bet most people here didn't know how Nintendo treats European countries that aren't called UK, Germany or France. People here tried to put the blame on "Europeans", so I showed you that it's not our faul, that's all. I'm just presenting the situation to you. Personally, I don't care about the Wii U at all, there is no way I'm getting it the next 2-3 year, but I'm not a hater, I own a Wii and a DSi. I'm just reporting something that probably is news to most of you.

I mean, just look at my sig, I'm not playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I'm playing Uncharted: Złota Otchłań, a fully translated and dubbed by movie stars version of the game. If Sony cares to do that, why should anyone care about Nintendo, which doesn't even care to put a photo of 3DS or Wii U on their web page? And people complain we are "Sonyland"...

I'm sorry about the situation in your country, hope it changes. Just bear in mind, that in my country we have 2 companies that treat us the way they should in Sony and MS (since November 2010, when they finally launched Live) and we have Nintendo that doesn't exist here. You wonder why they lose in the market? I think this is one of the reasons.

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

Scisca said:
osed125 said:
Wow man you really like to complain, you guys at least have a web page, you what my country have? Nothing, all Nintendo and Sony products come from another country (can't remember if it's Mexico or Panama). If it wasn't for dedicated gaming stores it would be almost impossible to get games in my country. The games that you can find at Wallmarts and similar stores are the casual ones like Just Dance and those kind of games. You are just complaining for something that happens in 95% of the world...

This is a thread about why Nintendo is doing so bad in Europe, so I showed you one additional reason. I bet most people here didn't know how Nintendo treats European countries that aren't called UK, Germany or France. People here tried to put the blame on "Europeans", so I showed you that it's not our faul, that's all. I'm just presenting the situation to you. Personally, I don't care about the Wii U at all, there is no way I'm getting it the next 2-3 year, but I'm not a hater, I own a Wii and a DSi. I'm just reporting something that probably is news to most of you.

I mean, just look at my sig, I'm not playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I'm playing Uncharted: Złota Otchłań, a fully translated and dubbed by movie stars version of the game. If Sony cares to do that, why should anyone care about Nintendo, which doesn't even care to put a photo of 3DS or Wii U on their web page? And people complain we are "Sonyland"...

I'm sorry about the situation in your country, hope it changes. Just bear in mind, that in my country we have 2 companies that treat us the way they should in Sony and MS (since November 2010, when they finally launched Live) and we have Nintendo that doesn't exist here. You wonder why they lose in the market? I think this is one of the reasons.

I can understand that. If that's the case then Nintendo should make more efforts in "smaller" European countries. I wonder if the same thing happens (at least in that magnitude) in other countries outside of the UK, Germany and France.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Scisca said:

No offence mate but if any of us ran companies we'd probably do the same in favouring the UK, Germany and such, Eastern Europe is a very PC orientated region with many players being into RTS', Counter Strike and such, the total console sales from the usual  EU countries like UK, France, Germany and so on may very well be more then all the smaller EU contries combined which is why Nintendo often has a third party company deal with the smaller countries instead of directly.

I highly doubt Sony does well because of the effort put in but more because of the diverse taste the entire EU has. Nintendo tends to have a slow start in EU because our launches are always erratic but they eventually go on to become strong in the bigger EU countries because the first party library are sort after like gold in them, the main reason Wii U at the moment is doing as well here is because we hardly have any stock to begin with. 125k at launch across the whole EU? 

Wyrdness said:
Scisca said:

No offence mate but if any of us ran companies we'd probably do the same in favouring the UK, Germany and such, Eastern Europe is a very PC orientated region with many players being into RTS', Counter Strike and such, the total console sales from the usual  EU countries like UK, France, Germany and so on may very well be more then all the smaller EU contries combined which is why Nintendo often has a third party company deal with the smaller countries instead of directly.

I highly doubt Sony does well because of the effort put in but more because of the diverse taste the entire EU has. Nintendo tends to have a slow start in EU because our launches are always erratic but they eventually go on to become strong in the bigger EU countries because the first party library are sort after like gold in them, the main reason Wii U at the moment is doing as well here is because we hardly have any stock to begin with. 125k at launch across the whole EU? 

Favouring is obvious, you earn more money there. Still Sony and MS somehow think it's good business to care about us, to translate games, advertise a lot, etc. And remember that we're not talking about a small country right now. Poland is 6th in EU with 40 mil people - that's more than in Canada and consoles really aren't something people can't afford over here, especially those made by Nintendo. It is a smaller market, but it's growing really fast. And... I mean just look at their webpage. There really is no excuse for Nintendo. They get what they deserve. If you want to EARN money, you have to EARN it. Not just ignore people and hope they'll send you their money.