By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the deal with the Wii U in Europe?

The sales will rise, at the moment the PS3 and Xbox are very cheap here and a lot of people bought a 3DS for christmas (most with a mario game). I know many people here that wait until next year before they buy a Wii U because the games they want (Aliens, Pikmin) are not available now and they are alreading playing Mario on the 3DS.

Around the Network

Its not doing amazing but still better than PS3/ Xbox 360 at Launch globally! I think when Mario Kart is out it will do better, but i doubt it will do more than 65 Million Livetime! I know we said the same about 3DS but there is so much Nintendo Hate in the Media, i don´t know! I think this is gonna be the last generation of consols like we know it and also the last of Nintendo as well! Handhelds will die completely, also if i hate to say this!

Nintendo never attracted a big amount of the long time gamers (let's call them that) in the home console market in Europe. The Wii won here last gen because it created a new audience. The Wii U isn't a product designed for this new audience so the sales suffer.

Certain games (Mario Kart, Wii Sports) can improve the situation.

Economical reasons don't explain well why PS3 is selling way more with a slightly lower price (specially when I see that the GT5 and FIFA 13 500GB PS3 bundles for 300euros are the ones sold out), and those Polish stores pics doesn't explain why the Wii is outselling the Wii U.

I don't know about elsewhere, but it must be said that here in Italy some big store chains like MediaWorld did almost nothing to make Wii U stand out, just part of a page on their monthly leaflet, shared with other consoles, and a small, anonymous pile of them besides the Wii U pile, so making it look like just a Wii version to a quick glance, for those that don't know it, even worse confirming the misinformation of those that know about its existence, but misunderstood it as a Wii version. What's even worse, last time I went there, during Wii U launch week, the only fully working demo unit was a PS3, connected to a 50"+ Sony 3D TV, the XB360 had its TV complaining about being connected badly and not receiving the signal, all the others, including Vita, were turned off or not working, except 3DS, that instead was working correctly, but it had NO GAMES installed. Meanwhile Ninty is doing massive advertising on TV with Penelope Cruz for 3DS and Prof. Layton, but I haven't seen any Wii U ad yet.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Scisca said:

Heh, I know. I think around 2 mil people left Poland to the UK, Ireland and Germany recently. Huge blow, but we still are in the same place on the list. PC gaming is truely a problem for console manufacturers, because it's just so much cheaper. When a console game is released in Poland it costs 179, 199 or 219 Złoty. The PC version of the same game costs 79, 99 or 129 Złoty. That is a huge difference, especially since in the recent years technology hasn't been advancing at a particularly big pace, so you can get a gaming PC that's better than a console cheap enough to get get ahead financially after a purchase of just a few games. And like you said, CS is our national game. Almost like Starcraft in Korea ;)

Still. Like I said, the ultimate argument for me is that Sony and MS seem to like what they get from this market, their support is getting better and better every year, they hold Game Days, etc. I see more and more people get into consoles, they are really becoming mainstream and are no longer perceived as toys. I'm sure that if Nintendo honestly tried, they would profit as well. Especially since NES (well, a copy of NES called Pegasus) was the biggest console ever here. Bigger than PC gaming. Everyone had it, everyone was raised on that console, so every boy and girl here knows Mario. You can go ahead and ask any Pole in England about the Pegasus, everyone 22+ will have played it, most younger people as well.

Yeah that is a fair point, I don't see consoles doing as well in Europe in the 8th gen as the have in the 7th because the PC tech here has become cheap enough that you can build a strong PC that will perform better. I can see many of use in the EU owning one console and a good PC.

Around the Network

They seem to be having problems here, I haven't seen a single demo unit yet. Neither at Gamestop nor in big electronics retailers like Saturn and Mediamarkt.
Got to say I'm looking forward to when price drops happen - I was unable to afford one so far.

KylieDog said:
Europe got wise.

You've been here long enough to know better then that.

OneTwoThree said:
They seem to be having problems here, I haven't seen a single demo unit yet. Neither at Gamestop nor in big electronics retailers like Saturn and Mediamarkt.
Got to say I'm looking forward to when price drops happen - I was unable to afford one so far.

Last time I went to a MediaMarkt a demo unit was there, connected to a 50" LED TV and with a "Vorspielerin" (sry, can´t find the english word right now). People were impressed and LOVED the 5-player multiplayer of Nintendoland. It´s up to luck, I guess.

Mnementh said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
2 New Super Mario Bros. Wii Wii 2009 Platform Nintendo NA: 13.04 EU: 6.36 JP: 4.60 Rest: 2.21 All: 26.21

There we have (some of) it. They are not very interested in New Super Mario Bros. U and already have PS3/360/PC for third party titles, so they will wait for more exclusive system sellers.

I don't buy that. WiiU has FIFA, that should do something in Europe.

The Fifa on the WiiU is build on the Fifa12 Version as EA said
They didn't have enough time to make a "Real" Fifa13 for the WiiU so the WiiU Version is outdated.Has less features,outdated Impact Engine and all that fancy stuff Fifa13 got.

And the online structure on PS360 is superior and well established.Especially in Europe where the PS3 and Fifa are a dream relationship...
Its like the thing with Madden in the USA where only 40 people or so where online on the WiiU

And i know a lot of people like myself who are waiting for a new Zelda or 3D Mario
Sorry but ZombieU isn't a good game that will make a person who owns a gaming PC+PS360 to spend that much money on a console without any real games right now.

Those photos are interesting but the sad truth is sales dictate floor space and that is a very vicious circle. How much floor space in Japan do you think MS get?

Nintendo have never been big in Europe:
MS > NES
MD > SNES
PS1 > N64
PS2/XBOX > GC

and even though the Wii is ahead of PS3/360, 360 will pass Wii in the UK within the next few weeks and I wouldn't be suprised if PS3 overtakes the Wii in Europe as a whole.