By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: The Anomoly that is Gran Turismo vs Forza Motorsport

The difference from Forza to GT is like Camero vs. Mustang. Mustangs sell 4x as well as Cameros, but there is still a huge Camero fanbase.

This is a huge jump from last gen, where Forza was unheard of.

Anything can happen next gen, the total install base of Forza is higher then GT this gen, maybe that gap will grow furth in favor of Forza? Like the auto-industry, the gaming industry can flip at a moments notice.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

The difference from Forza to GT is like Camero vs. Mustang. Mustangs sell 4x as well as Cameros, but there is still a huge Camero fanbase.

Anything can happen next gen, the total install base of Forza is higher then GT this gen, maybe that gap will grow furth in favor of Forza? Like the auto-industry, the gaming industry can flip at a moments notice.

Is the sales gap between Mustangs and Camero really that wide I thought it was more like 2 to 1.  Anyway I like Mustangs a lot more then Cameros.  As far as Forza versus GT I like Forza slightly better but that is only this generation.  If you include all the games I would still give the edge to GT. 

Chris Hu said:
Michael-5 said:

Is the sales gap between Mustangs and Camero really that wide I thought it was more like 2 to 1.  Anyway I like Mustangs a lot more then Cameros.  As far as Forza versus GT I like Forza slightly better but that is only this generation.  If you include all the games I would still give the edge to GT.

It is, and it's likely to grow in favor of Ford with the new 2015 Mustang. Unlike Camero's, Mustang sell some some units outside of USA (Mainly because Ford builds so many cars in UK), and next gen Ford is looking to broaden the appeal of a Mustang tho Chinese and European markets by making it look more modern.

Last gen, the difference between GT and Forza was more like the difference from Mustange to Challengers lol. That is a 10 to 1 ratio.

To go from Challenger to Camero in terms of competitiveness and size of fanbase is a huge gain for Forza Motorsport.

As for preference, I'm indetermined. I like Forza Motorsport 3 the best, but Forza Motorsport 4 really showed a change in the series, a change I am not fond of. So I like GT5 just as much as I like FM4, but FM3 is the best. FM3 is still my favorite because of the choice of cars, style of gameplay (races aren't repetetive, not focused on hugely modifying specific cars, etc), and overall design. FM4 starts to show bad qualities, no Porsche, Modifying cars to win races (specifically to the top of your cars class), free upgrades, etc.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Chris Hu said:
Michael-5 said:

It is, and it's likely to grow in favor of Ford with the new 2015 Mustang. Unlike Camero's, Mustang sell some some units outside of USA (Mainly because Ford builds so many cars in UK), and next gen Ford is looking to broaden the appeal of a Mustang tho Chinese and European markets by making it look more modern.

Last gen, the difference between GT and Forza was more like the difference from Mustange to Challengers lol. That is a 10 to 1 ratio.

To go from Challenger to Camero in terms of competitiveness and size of fanbase is a huge gain for Forza Motorsport.

As for preference, I'm indetermined. I like Forza Motorsport 3 the best, but Forza Motorsport 4 really showed a change in the series, a change I am not fond of. So I like GT5 just as much as I like FM4, but FM3 is the best. FM3 is still my favorite because of the choice of cars, style of gameplay (races aren't repetetive, not focused on hugely modifying specific cars, etc), and overall design. FM4 starts to show bad qualities, no Porsche, Modifying cars to win races (specifically to the top of your cars class), free upgrades, etc.

Kinda don't like the look of the 2015 Mustang looks too much like a coupe version of the Ford Fusion (Mondeo).  I'm guessing this was designed in europe. 

Chris Hu said:
Michael-5 said:

Kinda don't like the look of the 2015 Mustang looks too much like a coupe version of the Ford Fusion (Mondeo).  I'm guessing this was designed in europe. 

Yea, they are trying to make it look less like a 60's muscle car, and more like a Hyndai Genesis Coupe, or Scion tc (Ft-86). I don't think it was designed in Europe, but the idea is to promote sales there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at European car designs for inspiration.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

The bolded is wrong. GT5, GT5:P and GTPSP have outsold the 4 Forza games this generation. This is despite the fact that GT is pretty hugely undertracked here.

VGChartz has this generations Gran Turismo games at 15.43 Million units as of right now. PD had shipped 18.4 Million units as of September.

VGChartz has this generations Forza games at 13.37 Million units as of right now.

Gran Turismo is still ~2 Million in front using VGChartz hugely undertracked GT numbers.

Did some further research and it is based on the Ford Fusion (Mondeo) and since that car was completly designed in Europe a lot of the the design is inspired by European cars.  I hope it looks a lot better frome the back and hopefully the Boss and Shelby version will look a lot better also.  It will also come with choice of 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines a choice which was last available on the third generation model.  Anyway the Mustang is still huge success story its closing in on its 50th aniversary not bad for a car that was almost replaced by the Ford Probe.

Carl2291 said:
Michael-5 said:

The bolded is wrong. GT5, GT5:P and GTPSP have outsold the 4 Forza games this generation. This is despite the fact that GT is pretty hugely undertracked here.

VGChartz has this generations Gran Turismo games at 15.43 Million units as of right now. PD had shipped 18.4 Million units as of September.

VGChartz has this generations Forza games at 13.37 Million units as of right now.

Gran Turismo is still ~2 Million in front using VGChartz hugely undertracked GT numbers.

Besides, using the term install base is wrong, since that would be how many separate individuals own the game.  Many of the purchasers from title to title will be repeat buyers.  So, it's kinda impossible to estimate that.  Though, I think its not to crazy to estimate an actual fanbase, using the average sales of the games (home consoles only).  So, Forza's estimated fanbase would be ~3.3M, while GT's would be ~6.3M.  Of course, both Forza 4 and Horizon, as well as GT5, will continue to sell for awhile.  I expect, for this gen, Forza will end up at ~3.7M and GT at ~7.6M (a little over twice the size of Forza's).

A_C_E said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
While this is well written and thought out, it's kind of a lot of info and talk just to end with a "no duh" conclusion. "In conclusion, this debate is not going away anytime soon."

It also says a lot about the power of the GT franchise when a glorified demo can sell more than Forza 1&2 and maybe 4, depending on how well that finishes. Forza may be a great game, but it has awhile to go before it can claim a victory like that.

That glorified demo was marketed as full as retail game.

I'm guessing you missed the Prologue in the title.  It's okay.  Pretty easy to miss.

You might want to look up the meaning of Proglue and Demo.

Not quite sure what a Proglue is, but the definition of a prologue is as follows: "a preliminary discourse; a preface or introductory part of a discourse, poem, or novel.  Any introductory proceeding, event, etc.: Appetizing delicacies were the prologue to a long dinner."

GT5: Prologue was an extended demo that sold more than the full games that were Forza 1&2, maybe 4.  So yea, what's your point

Demos dont come with 16-player online races withover 70 cars (including tuned cars), 6 tracks, 12 layouts.

It wasn't called GT demo, it was called GT prologue. It was also just an introduction to a game that people had to pay for inorder to play. PD pretty much earned what they paid with just the Prologue. It was a fraction; a taste of what the final game would be like and 5 million people flocked their way to this unfinished game.

That is undescribable. That is power.

Try explaining that to thismeintiel.

Chris Hu said:

Even though GT5 has more cars I still think that FM3 has better looking cars and a better variety of cars.  Also all the cars in FM3 have fully detailed interior none of that premium vs standard car bs.  Also a lot of cars in GT5 are total garbage since they can't win any races even if fully upgraded that is not a problem in FM3 since any car can be useful in some form especially since it alows engine swaps.  I also think that the track selection in FM3 is slightly better one of the best tracks from previous GT games the Seattle circuit is totally missing in GT5.  When it comes to track selection GT4 is still the best in the franchise.  I also find it a joke that out of the 1000+ cars in GT5 only 17 can be raced motified they could have done a lot better then that especially since in GT1 and 2 almost all the cars could be race modified.

Forza 3 is a better sim racing than Forza 4... now the biggest issues with Forza for me is how the driving physics is different from real-life and the tracks are widen without real life proportions to make the driving more easly... the brake system in Forza is all wrong too.

About the tracks I'm fine with the selection...

• Fuji Speedway: Fuji Speedwa F, Fuji Speedway GT
  • Suzuka Circuit: Suzuka Circuit (Weather), Suzuka Circuit East Course
  • Daytona International Speedway: Superspeedway – Daytona, Road Course – Daytona
  • Tsukuba Circuit
  • Circuit de la Sarthe: Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 (Time / Weather), Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 No Chicane, Circuit de la Sarthe 2005, Circuit de la Sarthe 2005 No Chicane
  • Nürburgring: Nürburgring Nordschleife (Time), Nürburgring GP/F, Nürburgring 24h (Time / Weather), Nürburgring GP/D, Nürburgring typeV
  • Indianapolis Motorspeedway: Superspeedway – Indy, Road Course – Indy
  • Autodromo Nazionale Monza: Autodromo Nazionale Monza (Weather), Autodromo Nazionale Monza No Chicane
  • The Top Gear Test Track
  • Laguna Seca Raceway
  • High Speed Ring: High Speed Ring (Weather), High Speed Ring Reverse
  • Cape Ring: Cape Ring, Cape Ring Inside, Cape Ring North, Cape Ring Outside, Cape Ring South
  • Autumn Ring: Autumn Ring, Autumn Ring / Reverse, Autumn Ring Mini, Autumn Ring Mini / Reverse
  • Deep Forest Raceway: Deep Forest Raceway, Deep Forest Raceway / Reverse
  • Grand Valley Speedway: Grand Valley Speedway, Grand Valley Speedway / Reverse, Grand Valley East Section, Grand Valley East Section / Reverse
  • Eiger Nordwand Track: Eiger Nordwand Track Short Track (Weather), Eiger Nordwand Track Short Track / Reverse
  • Trial Mountain Circuit: Trial Mountain Circuit, Trial Mountain Circuit / Reverse
  • London: London, London / Reverse
  • Rome: Rome, Rome / Reverse
  • Circuito de Madrid: Circuito de Madrid, Circuito de Madrid / Reverse, Circuito de Madrid Mini, Circuito de Madrid Mini/ Reverse
  • Tokyo R246: Tokyo R246, Tokyo R246 / Reverse
  • Côte d’Azur
  • Special Stage Route 5: Special Stage Route 5 / Night, Special Stage Route 5 / Reverse / Night, Clubman Stage Route 5 / Night, Clubman Stage Route 5 / Reverse/ Night
  • Special Stage Route 7: Special Stage Route 7 / Night (Weather)
  • Eiger Nordwand Track: Eiger Nordwand Track K Trail, Eiger Nordwand Track K Trail / Reverse, Eiger Nordwand Track G Trail, Eiger Nordwand Track G Trail / Reverse, Eiger Nordwand Track W Trail, Eiger Nordwand Track W Trail / Reverse
  • Toscana: Toscana (Time), Toscana / Reverse (Time)
  • Chamonix: Chamonix Main (Weather), Chamonix East (Weather), Chamonix West (Weather), Chamonix Mini (Weather)
  • SPA-Francorchamps
  • Kart Space: Kart Space I, Kart Space I / Reverse, Kart Space II, Kart Space II /Reverse
  • Special Stage Route X Oval
  • Twin Ring Motegi: Road Course - Twin Ring Motegi, Road Course - Twin Ring Motegi West, Road Course - Twin Ring Motegi East, Super Speedway - Twin Ring Motegi

30 tracks, over 82 layouts

About the race modificantion cars you are right... only 18 have this option.

And GT5 will receive more cars / tracks soon... I expect te Spec 3.0 to be released in 2013 and more DLC is coming too.