By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: The Anomoly that is Gran Turismo vs Forza Motorsport

ethomaz said:

lol @sales2099

Fail thread lol lol lol

My comments about that "huge" Forza fanbase.

[fanboy mode = off]

Now seriously.

The Forza userbase is never that big before... most of Forza 3 sales is because the holiday bundles deals made by Microsoft (Forza 4 is in the same path).

I'm not saying the GT sales not came from bundles too... GT3 for example was heavly bundled in US... the 7 million sales in US for it is unrealistic... at least 4 million come from bundles... the real userbase of the GT franchise in US is ~2-3 million... in Europe the user base is bigger 5million+ and not GT have heavy bundle in Europe (just limited).

If you compare the franchises... the userbase in US is close (500-700k in favor to GT?) but the big problem is Europe... the Forza userbase in Europe is near 1 million... Microsoft needs to grow up the Forza series there but seem like Europeans loves Gran Turismo (even UK where GT5 sold over 1 million units).

About the quality... I'm not a racer fan... not a Need for Speed or any other racing game fan... I'm just a simulator fan, I need a very good wheel to play my simulators games... and the Forza franchise lacks a lot of thing I like in simulator and add a lot of thinks I don't care because they are more for racing games fans (I don't like to waste my time tunning the color or apparecence of my car... that's useless).

In a simulator view point the most advanced Forza game for me is Forza 3... Forza 4 lost a little of pure blood simulator present in Forza 3... I can see why in a market strategy made to gain more users but seem like that's don't happened.

Forza 3 is the best in the franchise for me... I played Horizon some days ago and I hated... they just destoyed the franchise (call anything except Forza) it is even worst than the new Need For Speed... I do not consider Horizon part of the franchise.

So in overall quality the GT5 cames ahead Forza 3... there little things in driving physics, tacks, cars, and engine tunning that make the GT5 better than Forza 3... for a simulator fan like me that's amazing... Forza 3 have some things that tops GT5 too, the most notiable is the amazing AI (I think the Forza 3's AI is the best I ever seen in a simulator game... the GT5's AI came close but is below it... Forza have no AI err there is AI but it's so dummy)... there is cons in GT5 too but the pros is so bealtiful that makes the cons acceptable (even so PD try to fix they regularly).

That's it... I can not stop playing GT5... every week there is a new thing to do... a new Seasonal Event or a new car to play... I loved to play the new Corvette Prototype for example....

Now the GTPlanet guys found more options (engine tunning, NITRO, lvl5 turbo, break tunning, new tires) , cars, etc in the GT5... I think PD is in the development of the Spec III and I'm full ready for the Spec III update in 2013.

[fanboy mode = on]

WOW I can be me again... GT5 is the Racing Simulator of Decade... DEFINITIVE... better than any Forza 3, Forza 4, Horizon, GT4 or previous GTs. 

Even though GT5 has more cars I still think that FM3 has better looking cars and a better variety of cars.  Also all the cars in FM3 have fully detailed interior none of that premium vs standard car bs.  Also a lot of cars in GT5 are total garbage since they can't win any races even if fully upgraded that is not a problem in FM3 since any car can be useful in some form especially since it alows engine swaps.  I also think that the track selection in FM3 is slightly better one of the best tracks from previous GT games the Seattle circuit is totally missing in GT5.  When it comes to track selection GT4 is still the best in the franchise.  I also find it a joke that out of the 1000+ cars in GT5 only 17 can be raced motified they could have done a lot better then that especially since in GT1 and 2 almost all the cars could be race modified. 

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
While this is well written and thought out, it's kind of a lot of info and talk just to end with a "no duh" conclusion. "In conclusion, this debate is not going away anytime soon."

It also says a lot about the power of the GT franchise when a glorified demo can sell more than Forza 1&2 and maybe 4, depending on how well that finishes. Forza may be a great game, but it has awhile to go before it can claim a victory like that.

That glorified demo was marketed as full as retail game.

I'm guessing you missed the Prologue in the title.  It's okay.  Pretty easy to miss.

dsgrue3 said:
A_C_E said:
You didn't mention console seller once, you just said that there isn't anyone who has bought the 360 for Forza and that's what I'm responding to. Your phrasing needs work if you can't get across what you actually mean.

Stop asking for data that doesn't exist. Just look at this with common sense. The Forza franchise has sold over ten million this generation. Wether or not that was because of bundles or not doesn't matter, it was still introduced into the hands of the people who bought the system and are therefore going to tryout the game. Out of the millions and millions of people who have been introduced to this game through whatever means there are now going to be a big dedicated fanbase.

If you need facts/data to understand this then oh well.

I said "No one buys an xbox for Forza" - the implication here is of system seller. If that was unclear to you, I apologize. Do you agree that it isn't a system seller then?

With the amount of people that this game has been attatched to I think when Forza releases on the Next Xbox it will move consoles. It's no Halo or Killer App but yes I think it is more than capable of moving a respectable amount of consoles. It's an incredibly high quality title with a now very dedicated consumer portfolio. Most fans of racing games would/do look forward to the next iteration everytime a new one is released. The racing genre is still pretty populated and if you combine that with quality then you have a winning formula. MS knows what they are doing. It's the same thing done with GT3 for the PS2.

But it is no GT as far as sales go.

thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
While this is well written and thought out, it's kind of a lot of info and talk just to end with a "no duh" conclusion. "In conclusion, this debate is not going away anytime soon."

It also says a lot about the power of the GT franchise when a glorified demo can sell more than Forza 1&2 and maybe 4, depending on how well that finishes. Forza may be a great game, but it has awhile to go before it can claim a victory like that.

I'm guessing you missed the Prologue in the title.  It's okay.  Pretty easy to miss.

You might want to look up the meaning of Proglue and Demo.

Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:

Not quite sure what a Proglue is, but the definition of a prologue is as follows: "a preliminary discourse; a preface or introductory part of a discourse, poem, or novel.  Any introductory proceeding, event, etc.: Appetizing delicacies were the prologue to a long dinner."

GT5: Prologue was an extended demo that sold more than the full games that were Forza 1&2, maybe 4.  So yea, what's your point? 

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:

Not quite sure what a Proglue is, but the definition of a prologue is as follows: "a preliminary discourse; a preface or introductory part of a discourse, poem, or novel.  Any introductory proceeding, event, etc.: Appetizing delicacies were the prologue to a long dinner."

GT5: Prologue was an extended demo that sold more than the full games that were Forza 1&2, maybe 4.  So yea, what's your point

Demos dont come with 16-player online races withover 70 cars (including tuned cars), 6 tracks, 12 layouts.

Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:

GT5: Prologue was an extended demo that sold more than the full games that were Forza 1&2, maybe 4.  So yea, what's your point

Demos dont come with 16-player online races withover 70 cars (including tuned cars), 6 tracks, 12 layouts.

Which is why people call it a glorified/extended demo.  And PD made sure people understood what it was, hence the Prologue in the title.  They also did the same with GT4: Prologue.  So, what's so hard to understand about this?

thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:

Which is why people call it a glorified/extended demo.  And PD made sure people understood what it was, hence the Prologue in the title.  They also did the same with GT4: Prologue.  So, what's so hard to understand about this?

Was this before or after they spent $39.99 on the game?

Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:

It wasn't called GT demo, it was called GT prologue. It was also just an introduction to a game that people had to pay for inorder to play. PD pretty much earned what they paid with just the Prologue. It was a fraction; a taste of what the final game would be like and 5 million people flocked their way to this unfinished game.

That is undescribable. That is power.

Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:

Was this before or after they spent $39.99 on the game?

LMAO!  Before.  GT fans knew what they were getting with this "demo."  PD had done it before with GT4.  And people who aren't normally fans know what prologue means.  Of course, you also had several gaming sites refer to it as such, Joystiq and IGN among them.