By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: The Anomoly that is Gran Turismo vs Forza Motorsport

thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
A_C_E said:
Nsanity said:

Demos dont come with 16-player online races withover 70 cars (including tuned cars), 6 tracks, 12 layouts.

It wasn't called GT demo, it was called GT prologue. It was also just an introduction to a game that people had to pay for inorder to play. PD pretty much earned what they paid with just the Prologue. It was a fraction; a taste of what the final game would be like and 5 million people flocked their way to this unfinished game.

That is undescribable. That is power.

Try explaining that to thismeintiel.

Lol, why should he?  He and I probably agree on this.  GT Prologue wasn't just an ordinary demo, hence why places like Joystiq and IGN  and fans of the series were calling it an extended/glorified demo.  So, everyone knew what they were getting with the game.  Just a taste (70 cars compared to 1000 cars and 6 tracks compared to 31 tracks, so ~7%-8% of the final game) of what would be in the final GT5, and they still bought in droves (over 4M).  Now when Forza can achieve something like that, you give me a call.

No no no.

They got the full experience just not a lot of the full experience.

It's like having roast dinner and only getting to eat a small amount of each item on the plate. The way you put it, it's like they got a load of gravy and that's it.

If you don't like my easy to swallow analogy then how about this. Prologue contained the whole game engine, excluding a few tweaks and possible a slight graphical upgrade, but the whole game engine was there. 70 cars is more than most games have altogether by a multitude of times and 6 tracks is 6 times what you'd get in a demo  and therefore the game has enough juice in it to provide many hours of fun and not leave a "I need more now" feeling that a demo might give.

Now before you go and say that all demos have the whole game engine in them, I'd say yes true enough. But games you will be thinking of in that context are games where the engine is the tool to deliver the game. In GT the game engine IS THE GAME.

7%-8% figure you list is highly misleading and a very poor argument because if you reverse that, they got 95% of the game engine, and what's more important, the game engine or the 940 cars and 20+ extra tracks?

Around the Network

39 new cars in over two years really isn't a lot.  I doubt there will be 20 more before they stop supporting the game.  Also I like classic cars and the only classic car included in the DLC cars is the 1966 VW Beetle 1200. 

fillet said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:

Lol, why should he?  He and I probably agree on this.  GT Prologue wasn't just an ordinary demo, hence why places like Joystiq and IGN  and fans of the series were calling it an extended/glorified demo.  So, everyone knew what they were getting with the game.  Just a taste (70 cars compared to 1000 cars and 6 tracks compared to 31 tracks, so ~7%-8% of the final game) of what would be in the final GT5, and they still bought in droves (over 4M).  Now when Forza can achieve something like that, you give me a call.

No no no.

They got the full experience just not a lot of the full experience.

It's like having roast dinner and only getting to eat a small amount of each item on the plate. The way you put it, it's like they got a load of gravy and that's it.

If you don't like my easy to swallow analogy then how about this. Prologue contained the whole game engine, excluding a few tweaks and possible a slight graphical upgrade, but the whole game engine was there. 70 cars is more than most games have altogether by a multitude of times and 6 tracks is 6 times what you'd get in a demo  and therefore the game has enough juice in it to provide many hours of fun and not leave a "I need more now" feeling that a demo might give.

Now before you go and say that all demos have the whole game engine in them, I'd say yes true enough. But games you will be thinking of in that context are games where the engine is the tool to deliver the game. In GT the game engine IS THE GAME.

7%-8% figure you list is highly misleading and a very poor argument because if you reverse that, they got 95% of the game engine, and what's more important, the game engine or the 940 cars and 20+ extra tracks?

That has to be the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard/read.  So, if I download a demo that lasts an hour, and really enjoyed it, I shouldn't get the full game.  I mean I still got the game engine in the demo.  Who cares if I got like 1/10th of the content?  Yep, I said it, anyway.  Why?  Cause it points out just how ridiculous your argument is.

Besides, everyone knew things like graphics and physics would be improved before the final release.

thismeintiel said:

Besides, everyone knew things like graphics and physics would be improved before the final release.

The driving engine/physics in the GT5 is new and different from what was released in GT5:P... to be fair the driving engine is more like the GT Academy 2010 Time Trial... that was the final test for the new driving engine added to GT5.

thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
A_C_E said:
Nsanity said:

Demos dont come with 16-player online races withover 70 cars (including tuned cars), 6 tracks, 12 layouts.

It wasn't called GT demo, it was called GT prologue. It was also just an introduction to a game that people had to pay for inorder to play. PD pretty much earned what they paid with just the Prologue. It was a fraction; a taste of what the final game would be like and 5 million people flocked their way to this unfinished game.

That is undescribable. That is power.

Fact still remains that Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was marketed as a full retail game that was priced at $39.99 and there is nothing you or some random reviewer can change about that.

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:

Fact still remains that Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was marketed as a full retail game that was priced at $39.99 and there is nothing you or some random reviewer can change about that.

Actually, it's the other way around.  No random poster can change the fact that everyone knew that GT5:P was an extended demo.  If it makes you feel better to think that, since a demo of GT5 sold more than 2 FULL Forza titles (maybe 3), go right ahead. 

thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:

Actually, it's the other way around.  No random poster can change the fact that everyone knew that GT5:P was an extended demo.  If it makes you feel better to think that, since a demo of GT5 sold more than 2 FULL Forza titles (maybe 3), go right ahead. 

Well at least Forza acomplished something that GT hasn't done yet make a successful spin off franchise Forza Horizon has already sold over 150K more then Tourist Trophy on a system with less then half the install base of the PS2.  Also its pretty much guranteed to get a sequel.  Tourist Trophy is pretty much dead especially since they axed the idea of including motorcyles in GT5 a long time ago.  If they would have included motorcyles then there would have been a good change that Tourist Trophy would have gottten a sequel.

thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:
Nsanity said:

I dont see demo written anywhere on the box Pinocchio, do you?

GT5 Prologue is a precursor for GT5... that's it people... I game used to test the new features to be released in GT5.

Nsanity said:
thismeintiel said:

I dont see demo written anywhere on the box Pinocchio, do you?

Yea, but not the exact word.  Prologue.  Meaning the introduction to what would be a full release of GT5.  Hence the reason fans and gaming sites called it an enhanced demo before it even released.  Since facts are obviouslly getting you riled up, I'm just going to end the discussion here. You believe what you wish to and I'll know what I know.  Cheers.