By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK data for Week ending December 8th...

Been quite a few adverts for it during my taped Simpsons episodes lately. Odd.

Around the Network
DarkD said:
Its a big deal, its why everyone is buying the premium version over the basic version. Go to a store and ask if they have the premium, they sell out the day they come in, ask if they have the basic, and they usually have them a couple days after they come in. The hardcore know the difference, and people aren't afraid of buying online anymore. I believe that 10% back policy is the tipping point for a lot of people.

Well in the US and Euro using countries if you have any interest in Nintendo Land it is cheaper to buy the Premium than a Basic+game.  So they are saving 10 dollars/euros before even factoring in the increased storage, the stand, different color, and the eshop rebate.  It's not quite as obvious a deal in the UK, but I think even without the other things people would pay £50 more for a £40 game + more storage. The ZombiU bundle seems like it is difficult to find, but the Nintendo Land Premium one isn't.  It is in stock online at Tesco, Amazon UK, and Game.  So if people were clammoring for that online discount they could easily get it.

i think it will take a huge 3d party game being wiiu exclusive with nintendo backing to get uk and then europe on board with the wiiu. i know the wiiu will do just fine in the uk in the long run,sometimes it just takes a system a while to get its mojo going.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

UK is Microsoft country at the moment. Sony right behind though.
Nintendo waited too long to release Wii U....its better to release while you're still at the top, not when you're near the bottom...

wii u bomba

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
i think it will take a huge 3d party game being wiiu exclusive with nintendo backing to get uk and then europe on board with the wiiu. i know the wiiu will do just fine in the uk in the long run,sometimes it just takes a system a while to get its mojo going.

Bayonetta 2? This they give a release date yet?
This game could really convince some PS3/360 owners to upgrade....some. The original Bayonetta didn't sell that much but its got its fair share of fans.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Yes. They would be lucky to produce 450k per week. If you take the 5.5mil number they are actually only making around 200k. I think with the ramp up production helping things out they will get over 400k per week shipped during the Christmas season. Japan will absolutely impact Europe supply as units allocated to one location will not come to another.

But my point is the same, when you look at the math of the whole situation, Europe will be lucky to get 100k per week. If they are selling 100k per week they are selling what they are getting, no matter how many times people say they saw a WiiU in the wild. The whole thing is silly, Nintendo will sell 5 million WiiU's easy. Then it will get interesting.

Large scale manufacturing isn't something left to luck (unless we are factoring in something like natural disasters).  You can't just "ramp up production" at the drop of a hat, you have to set up new production lines.  At this point unless they are shipping the consoles by air, every Wii U that will be on shelves in Europe by Christmas has already been manufactured.  Any increase in manufacturing right now won't be felt in America or Europe.  They could get them to Japan by the end of the year however. 

These things don't change on the fly.  Unit allocation was likely decided months ago, and any change wouldn't be felt for at least a month.  It isn't like a Wii U rolls off the line in Yantai and then magically appears in Japan or Europe the next day.  Plus they'd have to make small changes to the line that waste time.  Does it make sense to change boxes/materials, power cables, region locks from week to week?  Or does it make more sense that they've been dedicating ~30% (or whatever is appropriate) of their lines to Japanese production and stockpiling the units in anticipation for launch.  Could you actually specify what this math is that arrives at Europe only getting 100k a week?  That would only be about 500k by Christmas. 

What exactly would it take to convince you that the Wii U is not completely sold out?  It is available on Amazon UK/France/Germany as well as other online retailers.  There are also plenty of reports that Wii U's are not hard to come by.  Wii U's are selling for retail or less on ebay UK.  So why do you think that they are selling 100% of the units that are available?  Is there any evidence that demand is vastly more than supply?

Unrelated, but why do you always break the quote when you are quoting somebody.

Bristow9091 said:

I've heard the Wii U has opened worse than the Vita, is this true? I've not really looked into the sales of it here...

Yes.  Wii U did 40k first tracking week, Vita did 61k.  This is for the UK.

When I saw this chart I nearly had a heart attack, but then I realised that the only reason Hitman is above Halo is because it includes all versions' sales. Phew!

Also, I'm kinda disappointed by the absence of Borderlands 2 in that chart.

Yakuzaice said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Yes. They would be lucky to produce 450k per week. If you take the 5.5mil number they are actually only making around 200k. I think with the ramp up production helping things out they will get over 400k per week shipped during the Christmas season. Japan will absolutely impact Europe supply as units allocated to one location will not come to another.

But my point is the same, when you look at the math of the whole situation, Europe will be lucky to get 100k per week. If they are selling 100k per week they are selling what they are getting, no matter how many times people say they saw a WiiU in the wild. The whole thing is silly, Nintendo will sell 5 million WiiU's easy. Then it will get interesting.

Large scale manufacturing isn't something left to luck (unless we are factoring in something like natural disasters).  You can't just "ramp up production" at the drop of a hat, you have to set up new production lines.  At this point unless they are shipping the consoles by air, every Wii U that will be on shelves in Europe by Christmas has already been manufactured.  Any increase in manufacturing right now won't be felt in America or Europe.  They could get them to Japan by the end of the year however. 

These things don't change on the fly.  Unit allocation was likely decided months ago, and any change wouldn't be felt for at least a month.  It isn't like a Wii U rolls off the line in Yantai and then magically appears in Japan or Europe the next day.  Plus they'd have to make small changes to the line that waste time.  Does it make sense to change boxes/materials, power cables, region locks from week to week?  Or does it make more sense that they've been dedicating ~30% (or whatever is appropriate) of their lines to Japanese production and stockpiling the units in anticipation for launch.  Could you actually specify what this math is that arrives at Europe only getting 100k a week?  That would only be about 500k by Christmas. 

What exactly would it take to convince you that the Wii U is not completely sold out?  It is available on Amazon UK/France/Germany as well as other online retailers.  There are also plenty of reports that Wii U's are not hard to come by.  Wii U's are selling for retail or less on ebay UK.  So why do you think that they are selling 100% of the units that are available?  Is there any evidence that demand is vastly more than supply?

Unrelated, but why do you always break the quote when you are quoting somebody.

Bristow9091 said:

I've heard the Wii U has opened worse than the Vita, is this true? I've not really looked into the sales of it here...

Yes.  Wii U did 40k first tracking week, Vita did 61k.  This is for the UK.

It's the WiiU's web browser, for some reason it does that :S

According to VGChartz, Halo 4 sold 48,959 copies in the UK in the week ending 1st Dec. If this article is right, and Halo 4's sales increased 36% this week to 52,340, then that means that last week it sold 38,485 copies.

Basically, VGChartz overtracked Halo 4 by 10,474 copies in the UK this week. Disappointing. :(