By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK data for Week ending December 8th...

Mazty said:
I'm not confusing core gamers with hardcore gamers. I think we need a quick re-cap of what your average core gamer will think when looking at those games:
NSMB U - either a)I've already got this on the wii or b)Mario? Pscht, gimmie gunz...
Zombi U - either appealing to PS3 fans or "i've played/got L4D"
Epic Mickey/AssCree/Black Ops 2 - irrelevant to anyone with a 360/ps3/pc capable of gaming
Scribblenauts/Rabbids/Nintyland - "kiddy" games. Whether that is the case or not is irrelevant as that's how they are viewed by core gamers

That is exactly how so-called "hardcore gamers" think. Core gamers are, as the name implies, the core of the industry. They enjoy games of all types, will happily purchase great games for any platform they own, like a variety of experiences, and don't give a crap about the "image" of the game.

A core gamer will happily go out and buy Resident Evil one day, and Just Dance the next. If they have the money, they'll happily own all consoles.

Core gamers might make up about 20% of the gaming population. About 89% are the more infrequent gamers and the single-genre gamers (like the ones that play almost nothing but CoD). Less than 1% are the "hardcore" gamers, who will turn down NSMB U for being too much like a great game that already exists (or because it's not a shooter), who will reject ZombiU because they can't spend the 5 minutes necessary to learn about the game more than "it's a Zombie survival game", who will always prefer the game with better graphics over better gameplay, and who will reject games because they've got cute or cartoony graphics.

Around the Network

It'll be fine....

Stop hating and start playing.

While doing a straight exchange rate comparison rarely tells you whether something is adequately priced in different regions, looking at the price in the UK the Wii U may need a price cut ...

Germany and France are pro Nintendo country. The UK seems to be following the US route - Microsoft