By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK data for Week ending December 8th...

WiiU flop confirmed.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network
pezus said:
Also on another related note, Paper Mario is a MAJOR flop. We need to (talk about this) make a thread about this.

Well Bowser's Inside Story did almost equally as bad.  However Super Paper Mario on the Wii debuted at number 3 back in 2007.  It also moved up to number 1 in its second week.

Is it just me or have people forgotten that theres an added benefit for customers who buy things on the Eshop. Why would there be a lot of sales for games when people are encouraged to buy them on the Eshop. All the hardcore gamers obviously would have bought the premium console as everyone knows that's the better deal, and hardcore are the ZombiU people and other third party game people. NPD doesn't track the Eshop now does it? In fact I think Nintendo has taken its first step to making this entire website irrelevant for Nintendo.

DarkD said:
Is it just me or have people forgotten that theres an added benefit for customers who buy things on the Eshop. Why would there be a lot of sales for games when people are encouraged to buy them on the Eshop. All the hardcore gamers obviously would have bought the premium console as everyone knows that's the better deal, and hardcore are the ZombiU people and other third party game people. NPD doesn't track the Eshop now does it? In fact I think Nintendo has taken its first step to making this entire website irrelevant for Nintendo.

Well in the UK the hardcore could buy a ZombiU bundle which is factored into these numbers.  Also the silly time restrictions on the eshop in Europe for mature content probably isn't helping sales for those games.  We also haven't seen a substantial boost for a game like Black Ops 2 which isn't available on the eshop.

Beyond that, consoles haven't shown that downloadable versions make a significant amount of sales.  This is likely to be exacerbated with the Wii U due to the low default storage and the other issues with their online system such as IDs being tied to the console.

I expect WiiU to sell about 100k in Europe due to supplies. So this sounds bout right.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
I expect WiiU to sell about 100k in Europe due to supplies. So this sounds bout right.

The article clearly states that WiiU are in "plentiful" supply.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

DarkD said:

No service is tracking any digital content yet (at least that I know of).

How are they encouraged to buy the games on the eshop ? Are they cheaper than on retail ?
I can't imagine that in the UK since they always have the best deals across Europe. I especially can't imagine it for the US because it was Black Friday and the deals there are usually amazing and everyone living there knows that.

Then you need to factor in that both WiiU consoles have very sparse HDD space. Sure you can buy an external harddrive or use an existing external harddrive but c'mon how many people are doing that and especially doing that from day/week one ? A few percent maybe. Certainly not half the WiiU owners or anything near that.
I mean it would be possible on the 32GB version, but even then you couldn't fit that many games on it and don't forget that not everybody has their console/s connected to the internet and so on.

No matter how you look at it, digital sales of full priced games just can't be anywhere near retail sales at the moment.

Euphoria14 4 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

And they came to this through what research? Plentiful is subjective and has no meaning. I'm saying that based on what we have seen Nintendo's making about 450k a week. They stockpiled some for the Japan launch, so the EU would be lucky to have 100k for sale, so if these are the sales numbers, it sounds about right.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Euphoria14 4 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

And they came to this through what research? Plentiful is subjective and has no meaning. I'm saying that based on what we have seen Nintendo's making about 450k a week. They stockpiled some for the Japan launch, so the EU would be lucky to have 100k for sale, so if these are the sales numbers, it sounds about right.

I haven't heard anyone saying that the console was at one point supply constraint in Europe. Especially not in the second week.

Also they are a professional tracking service that covers about 90% of the market AFAIK. So they have good relations to all retailers and they likely just needed to ask to come to this conclusion.
They surely didn't walk into one store to make such a claim.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Euphoria14 4 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

You can seriously believe that Nintendo can't ship enough, can you?

They expect to ship another 4m or so within the next 3 months.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!