By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Little big Planet is HUGE flop, we need to squawk about it

Barozi said:
theprof00 said:
Barozi said:
theprof00 said:
Barozi said:

The dropoff is 58% and that's exactly between 1/2 and 1/3 but nowhere near 1/4. Besides, many big games have huge (50%+) drops in its second week.

Also if the first week is 450k and that only 2 months before Christmas, no one would think that it's not gonna make 1 or 2m anytime soon. Sure LBP did more than expected, but it's not comparable to any other PS3 game right now, not even its own sequel.

Launch LBP now and it would do much worse. Not this year or next but in the long term due to the new consoles.

Again I don't know what games you're referring to but are you expecting for example PSASBR to do LBP like or even only half the numbers with W1 sales of 131k (still a bit overtracked according to NPD) and W2 sales of 35k ?
W1 sales were 29% of LBP's W1 sales. Even expecting the same incredible legs (selling good amounts in 4 years - > 2016) would mean 1.46m sales in 2016 and that is really the best case possible.

is that your prediction?

howbout you give me yours ill give you mine, and we'll come back to it?

howbout loser makes a thread saying they were wrong?

So you want us to come back to this thread in either 2016 or when PSASBR hits 1.47m ?
Dude we're never going to remember that let alone find the thread.

I don't even know your position on this issue as all you've ever said was that nobody should judge LT sales based on FW data.

All i'm gettong from this response is that you have no confidence in your own argument.

Oh, and I'LL remember, becuase i dont forget people who talk shit.

That's pretty ironic since you haven't even made ONE prediction in this thread.

See what I've underlined in the quote ? Where is it ?

You criticize me for not having confidence in my prediction (which is not true, it's just stupid to do a bet that lasts 4 years), yet you haven't even the balls to show me one.

Oh my. I had no idea your prediction was setious.

Since i said "you show me yours" just before the bolded bit, i assumed you would give me one beforehand, or at least come to terms with the bet and the proceedings first.

I will take your bet of 1.6 by 3016 and counter with 1m by march, 1.6 by this time next year.

Around the Network

We arent in 2007, the market has changed, the PS3 has noe 10 times the userbase and it has done the same numbers, sorry but all bullets point towards PASBR not doing as good as LBP, it will lucky if it does half of what it did

Aj_habfan said:
ZaneWane said:
legs are from bargain bin pricing an heavy bundle

I already heard this from the GT5 talk, quit recycling your comments.

There is nothing wrong with recyling that comment since it holds true to GT5 also.

DieAppleDie said:
We arent in 2007, the market has changed, the PS3 has noe 10 times the userbase and it has done the same numbers, sorry but all bullets point towards PASBR not doing as good as LBP, it will lucky if it does half of what it did

It needs to be bundled ASAP or it will never even come close to selling half as much as LittleBigPlanet did.

barozi showed us that first week sales are even 450k and not 300k like i calculated (i had no clue about that broken street day stuff) which means it was very likely to sell pretty good even without bundles and you use those numbers which are pretty good for first week to tell us now that low first week numbers don't have to result in a huge flop?

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

Since i said "you show me yours" just before the bolded bit, i assumed you would give me one beforehand, or at least come to terms with the bet and the proceedings first.

I will take your bet of 1.6 by 3016 and counter with 1m by march, 1.6 by this time next year.

Well I never said 1.6m by 2016 (it was 1.46m), but I'm fine with what you said.

I say no to 1m by March (1st or 31st I don't care) 2013 and no to 1.6m by the same time next year.

However in case Sony decides to bundle this game, I say we calculate the bundles as good as we can and subtract them from the total. (should be no problem to determine the real sales from the bundles by looking at the weekly sales before the bundle arrives)

Also I was only talking about the PS3 version, were you including Vita as well ? Either way it wouldn't matter to me though I'd like to know.

sales2099 said:

I hope this isn't a new "strain" of PS3 fan responses when their exclusives flop.....saying its sold mostly on digital (which we can't track), essentially having no numbers to back you up and hiding behind Sony which never discloses digital sales numbers.

Remember the PS2 days....you guys were actually tough then!

This guy, as sad as his intentions are, actually brings up a good point.  Not voluntarily, of course, but still important.

Digital sales are growing, retail sales are declining.  This especially effects handheld games, which are harder to find in stores and often at a price point that is more comfortable for impulse buys.  The waters are further muddied by the emergence of Day One digital releases, especially with PS+ discounts.  With older games, PS+ is using them to generate revenue in a service scenario instead of on an individual sales basis.  Most intelligent people are going to conclude that it's going to get harder and harder to compare sales data and that comparisons to older titles are going to become less valid over time.

Unfortunately, this is a good opportunity for the fanboy.  They will continue their comparisons on a 1-to-1 basis even when logic says that the landscape is changing rapidly.  The pathetic few who love one manufacturer but hate video-games in general will use this tactic to prove flop after flop, resorting to bad logic to discount digital sales entirely.

That pitiful little group aside, how are the rest of us going to deal with these numbers in an intelligent way?  We simply don't have the data.  Are we going to go the fanboy route and claim that digital sales don't count?  It's not looking good, to be honest, and will probably only get worse with the launch of the PS3 and 720.

Barozi said:
theprof00 said:

Well I never said 1.6m by 2016 (it was 1.46m), but I'm fine with what you said.

I say no to 1m by March (1st or 31st I don't care) 2013 and no to 1.6m by the same time next year.

However in case Sony decides to bundle this game, I say we calculate the bundles as good as we can and subtract them from the total. (should be no problem to determine the real sales from the bundles by looking at the weekly sales before the bundle arrives)

Also I was only talking about the PS3 version, were you including Vita as well ? Either way it wouldn't matter to me though I'd like to know.

lololol

so you call me a coward when i told you to show me your prediction, and then you abandon your previous trend analysis to bet simply whether ill be right or wrong. So you don't want to give me numbers? How about at least tell me when it will hit a million.

pokoko said:

sales2099 said:

I hope this isn't a new "strain" of PS3 fan responses when their exclusives flop.....saying its sold mostly on digital (which we can't track), essentially having no numbers to back you up and hiding behind Sony which never discloses digital sales numbers.

Remember the PS2 days....you guys were actually tough then!

This guy, as sad as his intentions are, actually brings up a good point.  Not voluntarily, of course, but still important.

Digital sales are growing, retail sales are declining.  This especially effects handheld games, which are harder to find in stores and often at a price point that is more comfortable for impulse buys.  The waters are further muddied by the emergence of Day One digital releases, especially with PS+ discounts.  With older games, PS+ is using them to generate revenue in a service scenario instead of on an individual sales basis.  Most intelligent people are going to conclude that it's going to get harder and harder to compare sales data and that comparisons to older titles are going to become less valid over time.

Unfortunately, this is a good opportunity for the fanboy.  They will continue their comparisons on a 1-to-1 basis even when logic says that the landscape is changing rapidly.  The pathetic few who love one manufacturer but hate video-games in general will use this tactic to prove flop after flop, resorting to bad logic to discount digital sales entirely.

That pitiful little group aside, how are the rest of us going to deal with these numbers in an intelligent way?  We simply don't have the data.  Are we going to go the fanboy route and claim that digital sales don't count?  It's not looking good, to be honest, and will probably only get worse with the launch of the PS3 and 720.

yeah it sucks big time.

no way to track it unless sony or others "sell" their info. Currently, for every 100% of retail sales, psn supposedly sells 25% in digital full games not including ps1,2, or psn games.

its going to be very hard to track, but vgc already has problems massively undertracking ps3 so it's going to be the story as usual.