By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Before ps3 or wii laucnched

wii, since super mario galaxy at E3 06 was the reason i became interested in purchasing a this gen console

Around the Network

I'm amazed at the graphics every time a new generation of game systems are released. They just look awesome compared to the previous generation. Of course over time I've realize that nothing else has really changed. This has happened to me enough times for me to become completely jaded. I get as much enjoyment out of games 20 years old as I do with the new generation of games.

How can I justify spending money every time something "new" comes out, when it turns out it's really not "new". I was half ass into games last generation because of this and would likely have not purchased any system this generation. I do own a Wii though, because it's the first time I've actually gotten a different experience in a long long time of gaming. I think some younger folks just don't understand that (and rightfully so). They're me about 10 years ago.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Wii, because the games I want are on it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I was always planning on getting a Wii, regardless of price, however if the PS3 was that price in Australia I would have gotten that before a 360 as my second console. The price is still too prohibitive for me personally, I had a PS2 and over 20 games but having to spend $699 for no backwards compatibility is simply unacceptable. Even the sku with a larger hard-drive and backwards compatibility isn`t worth it as it cost's $999. That's just me though.

Even if they were both $250 at launch I'd pick the Wii. Wii launched with Zelda and Wii Sports; PS3 didn't have any mass market launch titles. Even now PS3 is lacking in terms of big titles. There are some very good games, but nothing on the Zelda level. I'm not anti-Sony, and absolutely will own a PS3 for GT5, but there wasn't any game(s) to drive early adoption, regardless of price.

Around the Network
tiachopvutru said:
Well, I don't know. My personal bias would say Wii, but if nothing changes for PS3 beside the price, then I will say 50/50. They both have good chances of winning.

However, there are too many grey areas for this question. With that price change, there would obviously be a lot of other changes. For example, would the PS3 still be able to play BluRay. What would its graphic capability be? etc. To be off topic a bit, that's precisely why the argument of 'PS3 wins with no issue if it launched at [insert mass market price]' is considered bull.

If nothing changes beside the price, then chances are Sony would go bankrupt first before anything else.

Don't know about how many sacrifices they could make but removing bluray at this point is impossible as all the games on the ps3 are on bluray discs and as I said replacing the bluray drive would render the whole ps3 library unplayable.

The Wii. Honestly, why settle for second fiddle, when my must play games, Zelda, Mario, Brawl, are all on the cheapest system?

I might have both today, instead of a Wii60, if the PS3 didn't cost as much as a small car for about a year, though.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

wii because of zelda

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

did you want to stack it any more in your favour? I know you just want people to say "I

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I would still have said the Wii, however the PS3 would've surpassed the 360 by a good margin, fast.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.