By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Before ps3 or wii laucnched

RolStoppable said:
CrazzyMan said:
You should make a thread:

Lets say the ps3 was at $599.99
The wii still at the same $249.99 price point,
BUT PS3 had on Launch games like:
MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3, GTA4, DMC4.

which of the two would you have bought, and Why?
=)))
The weird thing is that even with all the games you listed as launch games, Ridge Racer 7 would still be the game I would be interested in the most.

lol...now that was a hilarious statement.

If the PS3 was to launch with some software like that above, without a shout of a doubt I would buy the PS3 at $600.

But when looking at that $600 price tag. It does seem steep and I would rather bought the Wii which was $250 and had some awesome titles available at launch. Then I would of got a PS3 when it dropped down to about $500. 

Around the Network

the wii, reason... Zelda TP

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Im willing to bet that many many people would have bought the PS3 if was that priced, but the wii would still have done very well, simply because of the casual audience.

Furthermore, if the PS3 released at 299.99, Sony's entertainment division would've lost so much money, they would've gone bankrupt, and would be in a worse position than today. Lets just say 5 million extra people would've bought the PS3, that is not worth being multiple billion dollars in the hole. That would not be a sustainble 10 year plan.

There is a reason they released the PS3 at the price. You think Sony wanted to release it that much? What you are suggesting would probably have destroyed them.

To the topic, I would've bought the wii, because I have a 2000 dollar gaming PC.

Edit - A better question would've been.  How many people who bought the 360 would've bought the PS3 at that price. 

The Wii, I don't care much about graphics and some of the Wiis features really would have hooked me in.

Wii, and crazzymann, people would still buy the wii because the motion controls are cool & more appealing to casuals.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
You should make a thread:

Lets say the ps3 was at $599.99
The wii still at the same $249.99 price point,
BUT PS3 had on Launch games like:
MGS4, KZ2, R2, LBP, GT5, T6, FFXIII, WKS, GoW3, GTA4, DMC4.

which of the two would you have bought, and Why?
=)))

The funny answer is Wii... I'm not a fan of MGS since NES, I hate FPS and Final Fantasy died in my eyes with 8 Also I find fighting games repetitive the were cool in the arcades ... in the early '90s and racing games boring to no end. I bought a PS3 because I figured the world would go Wii/PS3 so if it was 300$ I'd have bought both anyway.. however the more I look at it the more I scratch my head to wether the 360 will hang on and hurt that for a while or if it'll happen sooner than I think.

CrazzyMan said:

@azrm2k, unless you are nintendo fanboy, your line up looks much weaker, compared to ps3. =))

Ressistance 2, yeah instead of Resistance 1. With amazing graphics and 60 players online. =)

Actually I never said one was better or worse so you are the only one coming off as the fanboy.  As a few others have stated the Wii lineup is still preferable to some.  It all depends on the taste of the gamer.  You are hyped and ready for FFXIII WKS MGS4 etc. and don't care about SMG or SSBB.  Doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way.  I look forward to MGS4 and GTA4 and am curious about LBP but the rest of the games I doubt i'll ever care to play, maybe KZ2 if it lives up to the hype and I hear good things about it.  Doesn't mean they're bad, just not my style.

Which is one thing people need to realize.  Even when the big lineup hits in 08 for Sony that won't automatically mean Sony domination.  it's the same reason why previous hyped AAA titles failed to start Sony domination.  One man's "casual crap" is another man's AAA game and vice-versa one man's epic AAA game is another man's overhyped mediocre experience.

leo-j said:

Lets say the ps3 was at $299.99

The wii still at the same $249.99 price point, which of the two would you have bought, and Why?

Let's say the PS3 used DVD instead of Blu-ray, it used a fast single-core CPU instead of the Cell, a somewhat cheaper and slower GPU than RSX, and no hard drive, and it launched at $299.99.  Would you have been more likely to buy that system than the one they actually launched for $599.99?

I would have. 

Wii. I never plan on owning a PS3. and I plan on getting a 360 when it is $100 NEW. That will be in a long time.

If the PS3 was $300 at launch I still would have bought a Wii first as I love Nintendo games but I would also have bought a PS3 earlier in this generation than I will with its starting point at $600.

Of course if the PS3 was at $300 at launch it would be about as powerful as 2 Wiis duct taped together so I am not sure that many of you guys would have bought one although it would sell much better (slightly slower than PS2 due to the extra competition caused by their lack of a headstart) but not as well as the Wii (as the Wii is so far selling faster than PS2).

If you are gonna ask that question assuming the same hardware for the PS3 then I am gonna ask you a question, Joel:

If the Wii was as powerful as the PS3 and the prices were the same, which one would you have bought at launch? Which one would you buy now if you didn't have either yet? Don't forget that after one year of selling like it is and with no power difference to hinder porting HD games on it you would have both the casual and Nintendo games as well as the 3rd party AAA games like COD4, AC, GTA4...

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"