By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo Needs More Exclusives to Beat PS3 and Xbox360

Patcher is so funny. We will see...soon. But I do recall Nintendo consoles having Nintendo games on...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

@Danne. You keep diverting my suggestion towards 2nd party bolstering. It's not that I disagree with it, but I believe that snagging THIRD party exclusives is more important in capturing the HD twin consumerbase, because the bias is inexistent.

Not being a push-over, just being realistic, is all.

HoloDust said:

1) To be honest, if I was 3rd party developer, and saw Nintendo's push for 3rd parties on WiiU, and than saw how they undedeveloped their hardware in some cruical areas that will just raise the price for me if I want to develop for it (and it will, considering all current and future HD consoles have/will have powerful CPUs, so I have to do special "GeePeeGeePee U" magic, if that's even possible for some of game code that is performing poorly, like AI, or make my port performing/looking worse compared to other versions), quite possibly I might be pretty pissed at Nintendo to.

2) I'm hoping they will do exatly that - they have enough money and IPs from which to draw to make some new and exciting IPs that will bring back N64 diversity they ones had. That said, as I mentioned before - Guardians of Zelda (Shadows of the Hylians), action-adventure-RPG with Shekiahs in main role, for me please :)

@2. And that's why I always said the onus is on Nintendo to break the stigma and make it happen by building the momentum THEMSELVES. If they did, then Pachter would be right, because at least a partition of their 1st party offerings would be of a completely different nature.

I think what Pachter meant to say was that Nintendo needs to develop blockbusters. Not just rehashes of the same game.

Akvod said:
I think what Pachter meant to say was that Nintendo needs to develop blockbusters. Not just rehashes of the same game.

Define blockbusters, because otherwise peeps will plop games sales of MK and NSMB till there's no tomorrow.

happydolphin said:

@Danne. You keep diverting my suggestion towards 2nd party bolstering. It's not that I disagree with it, but I believe that snagging THIRD party exclusives is more important in capturing the HD twin consumerbase, because the bias is inexistent.

I would also love to see more 3rd party efforts on the console, question is how they gonna get it. If they can't even secure GTA5... Right now they got ZombiU (which hopefully will turn in to a franchise) and Rayman Legends...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:

I would also love to see more 3rd party efforts on the console, question is how they gonna get it. If they can't even secure GTA5... Right now they got ZombiU (which hopefully will turn in to a franchise) and Rayman Legends...

Right now? It's just launch bro.

In time, the plan within the year (before the competition releases and gains traction) should be to secure efforts like Bayo, weaker studios that can't make wind on their own, Nintendo can stoop in and leverage their talent. These must be brands that have been effective at attracting that market prior, though.

So the THQ idea was not a bad one, as those games tend to sell your average sales # for the HD market (1m). Multiplats shouldn't be an issue and they aren't the game changers anyways. They do need to be there though, and haveing parity was a minimum. Now that we know Nintendo can't get that in lazy ports... that's no longer an option.

Nintendo will never get the multiplat optimization crown over MS and Sony in the short term as the market hasn't proved to exist on their platform just yet, that's why these suggestions are the only path of action for the time being (sadly).

Pachter's late the Wii essentially has already beaten the PS3 and 360 it's now on to the PS4 and X3 as far as the U goes.

happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:
happydolphin said:

Right now? It's just launch bro.

In time, the plan within the year (before the competition releases and gains traction) should be to secure efforts like Bayo, weaker studios that can't make wind on their own, Nintendo can stoop in and leverage their talent. These must be brands that have been effective at attracting that market prior, though.

So the THQ idea was not a bad one, as those games tend to sell your average sales # for the HD market (1m). Multiplats shouldn't be an issue and they aren't the game changers anyways. They do need to be there though, and haveing parity was a minimum. Now that we know Nintendo can't get that in lazy ports... that's no longer an option.

Nintendo will never get the multiplat optimization crown over MS and Sony in the short term as the market hasn't proved to exist on their platform just yet, that's why these suggestions are the only path of action for the time being (sadly).

Well, getting Bayo2 was kind of... by chance, if you will. Platinum had been rejected by Sega, so Nintendo stepped in. But I don't know how often that happens. I imagine it to be quite difficult for Ninty to swoop in and hand out money to smaller studios...  And I think that THQ really wants to go multiplat with all their games; Darksiders2 probably cost a few 100k to port over, and if they sell 300k copies they would have made back their money (I think). And considering the difficulties THQ is in I can't see how they only would opt to release games on Wii U... The chance of failure is much higher that way.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:

Well, getting Bayo2 was kind of... by chance, if you will. Platinum had been rejected by Sega, so Nintendo stepped in. But I don't know how often that happens. I imagine it to be quite difficult for Ninty to swoop in and hand out money to smaller studios...  And I think that THQ really wants to go multiplat with all their games; Darksiders2 probably cost a few 100k to port over, and if they sell 300k copies they would have made back their money (I think). And considering the difficulties THQ is in I can't see how they only would opt to release games on Wii U... The chance of failure is much higher that way.

THQ is out of options bro, on the brink of bankruptcy.

This isn't some stroke of luck, the industry has been plagued with closing studios this generation, it's an opportunity for Nintendo, not some scarce occurrence. Midway (Bankrupt in 2009), Acclaim (Bankrupt in 2004), THQ (on the brink of bankruptcy), and many many others that I don't have off the top of my head, as well as a slew of smaller budding indie studios just begging for financing.

Suppposing THQ shuts down, what if Nintendo ended up buying the Darksiders IP and decided to give it to Retro? Sweeet.