By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo Needs More Exclusives to Beat PS3 and Xbox360

S.T.A.G.E. said:
cunger said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
happydolphin said:
arcane_chaos said:

not particulary first party titles(though maybe making new ip possibly) but it's kind of a given that exclusives can draw people to their console, hell, the main reason I  got a 360 was because of Tales of Vesperia..

Okay, I agree with you then. But Pachter is false in his solution, he mentioned 1st party games, and those generally don't attract the PS360 crowd to Nintendo, there's enough proof of that. Exclusives, yes. 1st party exclusives, safe for a few IPs here and there, or new IPs, I doubt it would have a significant impact. (Even games like Xenoblade don't attract significantly)

This party exclusives from notable conmpanies can do the trick though if they are marketed right for the consoles. Nintendo could've been that company that has every genre mature and for everyone, but they chose to stay with the games aiming at children and teens with their first party. Instead of people growing up and move on they could've stayed the primary brand for them. I think half of this has to do with Nintendos first party stance on what represents them. Looks like what they did with Rare, basically have everyone else make their mature games for them because they are it is against their good conscience to get their hands dirty themselves.

I disagree. Those games will be significant impact.  They will set the Wiiu up nicely as the second console next to either a PS4 or a Xbox 720.. It won't convert fanboys into Nintendo fanboys but it will get them to buy a system especially once they are cheaper to play the exclusive games. 

Nintendo on their own will always be in their own world. Third parties keep them up to speed with what is going on with the other consoles and the rest of the world. Without casuals full support (which they wont have nearly as much of this time) they will fail to meet those expectations and will try to fill it by going after the core Sony and Microsoft have already built. At this point exclusives are what matter. Think about that.

I agree that exclusives are what matter.  But I'm saying Nintendo will not have any problem fullfilling this demand. Think about that!

Around the Network
cunger said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
cunger said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
happydolphin said:
arcane_chaos said:

not particulary first party titles(though maybe making new ip possibly) but it's kind of a given that exclusives can draw people to their console, hell, the main reason I  got a 360 was because of Tales of Vesperia..

Okay, I agree with you then. But Pachter is false in his solution, he mentioned 1st party games, and those generally don't attract the PS360 crowd to Nintendo, there's enough proof of that. Exclusives, yes. 1st party exclusives, safe for a few IPs here and there, or new IPs, I doubt it would have a significant impact. (Even games like Xenoblade don't attract significantly)

This party exclusives from notable conmpanies can do the trick though if they are marketed right for the consoles. Nintendo could've been that company that has every genre mature and for everyone, but they chose to stay with the games aiming at children and teens with their first party. Instead of people growing up and move on they could've stayed the primary brand for them. I think half of this has to do with Nintendos first party stance on what represents them. Looks like what they did with Rare, basically have everyone else make their mature games for them because they are it is against their good conscience to get their hands dirty themselves.

I disagree. Those games will be significant impact.  They will set the Wiiu up nicely as the second console next to either a PS4 or a Xbox 720.. It won't convert fanboys into Nintendo fanboys but it will get them to buy a system especially once they are cheaper to play the exclusive games. 

Nintendo on their own will always be in their own world. Third parties keep them up to speed with what is going on with the other consoles and the rest of the world. Without casuals full support (which they wont have nearly as much of this time) they will fail to meet those expectations and will try to fill it by going after the core Sony and Microsoft have already built. At this point exclusives are what matter. Think about that.

I agree that exclusives are what matter.  But I'm saying Nintendo will not have any problem fullfilling this demand. Think about that!

As long as they keep their third party exclusives up from notable companies gamers can trust.

DanneSandin said:

It's the Nintendo-made games that will ultimately sell the console, claims Pachter: "I think that Nintendo needs more exclusives to differentiate the Wii U, and am pessimistic that they will be able to deliver them next year."

bold: stating the obvious.

italicized: Pachter being Pachter.

Seriously? It's like he doesn't think Nintendo will be publishing any games for Wii U in the second half of next year. I would bet good money they'll have a 3D Mario game in time for next Christmas, and when it comes to sales, they don't need much else -- but they'll have a good few other games.

I think a big part of their strategy is also to deliver more indie content as they are the first to fully support the Unity 4 engine. The system needs to become a content system. One that has so much great exclusive content that it's a no brainer for gamers that they would want to have it.  There are a lot of different angles to attract gamers and cutting edge graphics is only one of them. Plus they are the only console that could see a flurry of touch based mobile games making their way over. Yeah I know smartglass exists but if you have a tablet you'll just buy those games off your tablet no?

I would expect some really nice exclusive support from Japan as well but only time will tell.  Dragon Quest 10 could help to build up a jprg audeince in Japan that would lead to other jrpg exclusives in the future. Much like the 3ds versus the Vita.

At the end of the day there is way more that is unknown about the system than is known and only time will tell. But I don't believe that Nintendo is stupid or that you can count them out. Their systems have been pretty popular under Iwata and I don't think anyone expected the 3ds to maintain the pace it is maintaining despite mobile competition.

DélioPT said:
Maybe HD first party games can attract PS3 and Xbox 360 owners!

It may attract like 0.5% of the crowd, but I doubt it will attract much more, otherwise it be lke admitting PS3 and 360 owners are all graphics whores, which is not true.

I would say that majority just don't like NIntendo and or their games, which is fine.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
DélioPT said:
Maybe HD first party games can attract PS3 and Xbox 360 owners!

It may attract like 0.5% of the crowd, but I doubt it will attract much more, otherwise it be lke admitting PS3 and 360 owners are all graphics whores, which is not true.

I would say that majority just don't like NIntendo and or their games, which is fine.

I know that HD won`t change much but i had in mind something beyond better visuals, like more engrossing experiences. Thinking about Metroid and Zelda.
Mario will always be Mario, but there might be games that with a better machine like Wii U can become more to the liking of PS3 and Xbox 360 fans.

And you can`t deny that a lot of people completely overlooked Wii, for example, because of it`s tech.  :D

I actually think it'd be somewhat interesting if Nintendo just accepted that Western 3rd party devs treat them like crap and just started to fill out the holes in their software library on their own, relying on multi-plats more for things like yearly sports game updates and that's it.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo maybe went back to making their own NBA (Courtside series on N64/GCN), NHL
(NHL Stanley Cup on SNES), and MLB games (Ken Griffey Jr. games).

Outside of like five-to-six third party franchises that tend to be multiplat -- Call of Duty, Madden NFL, FIFA, Resident Evil, LEGO, Sonic, how many even really matter on Nintendo consoles? I guess throw in Assassin's Creed now and what else? Maybe Nintendo would like to see Final Fantasy return for a while before it switches to the PS4/720. 

If I'm Nintendo, I'd perhaps look at some cheap options to expand the diversity of my catalog. Contract the Darksiders and Saint's Row teams to make a fantasy-action IP and a sandbox game, since THq is now defunt both teams are likely deserpate for work. I'd maybe look at picking up an underutilized movie license ... perhaps something like Mission: Impossible (could do some neat things with the Wii U tablet with that for sure), so you're not building completely unknown IPs every time.

I'd go ahead and greenlit a soccer sim to compete with FIFA and ISS. Add in an arcade mode that lets you play as Mario and co. Soccer is obviously huge in Europe, Asia, South America, Japan, and growing in North America.

Soundwave said:

I actually think it'd be somewhat interesting if Nintendo just accepted that Western 3rd party devs treat them like crap and just started to fill out the holes in their software library on their own, relying on multi-plats more for things like yearly sports game updates and that's it.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo maybe went back to making their own NBA (Courtside series on N64/GCN), NHL
(NHL Stanley Cup on SNES), and MLB games (Ken Griffey Jr. games).

Outside of like five-to-six third party franchises that tend to be multiplat -- Call of Duty, Madden NFL, FIFA, Resident Evil, LEGO, Sonic, how many even really matter on Nintendo consoles? I guess throw in Assassin's Creed now and what else? Maybe Nintendo would like to see Final Fantasy return for a while before it switches to the PS4/720. 

If I'm Nintendo, I'd perhaps look at some cheap options to expand the diversity of my catalog. Contract the Darksiders and Saint's Row teams to make a fantasy-action IP and a sandbox game, since THq is now defunt both teams are likely deserpate for work. I'd maybe look at picking up an underutilized movie license ... perhaps something like Mission: Impossible (could do some neat things with the Wii U tablet with that for sure), so you're not building completely unknown IPs every time.

I'd go ahead and greenlit a soccer sim to compete with FIFA and ISS. Add in an arcade mode that lets you play as Mario and co. Soccer is obviously huge in Europe, Asia, South America, Japan, and growing in North America.

I been saying similar things (in not so many words).

Sadly though Nintendo does not want to accept that most 3rd parties have no interest on their console.

However their recent actions with Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta may be just the tip of the ice berg we are dreaming about.

I will assume that the WiiU will get the mario, zelda and metroid games, so I will not talk about those.

From my perspective:

- I would love to see ninja gaiden stay and grow on nintendo platforms.

- Original FPS made to compete with the likes of Halo and Killzone. Obviously their online will need improving.

- Would love to see finfal fantasy return to a Nintendo platform.

- GTA, would love to see what they could do with the tablet, and if not tablet Wii Remote and nuncuck would work well. If you don't belive me, get godfather on Wii.  I would settle for a GTA V on PS3 that used the move controller.

- Ken Griffy Jr was and still is my favourite baseball game. Angel Studios did a great job with that game. Plus baseall is pretty big in Japan anyway, and from memory doesn't Nintendo own the mariners? or at least huge sponsor? So this is plausible.

- Starfox. I enjoyed starfox adventures on GCN. To improve on this forumla, a game that combines land combat and flight combat that is twice as long as the GCN game would be FANTASTIC. Throw in cinematics and it be a complete game.

- Agree about MI movie franchie, one of my favourite games on N64, even though it was 3rd person perspective.

- Pokemon game using skylander type periphral (or perhaps the touch pad as it has one of those NFC sensors). This would have been a gold mind for nintendo. Skylanders all though targetted at kids, was a brilliant idea and is now becomgin a huge money machine.

- I kind of wish that rumor about microsoft selling some of the old RARE ips back to Nintendo was true. Banjo and Killer Instinct on Nintendo platform would be instant fan favourites.

Nintendo needs Metroid Prime 4. If gamers can't care about that, I will stop caring about gamers.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Yeah it proves that you should always do the exact oppositie of what Pachter says :D.