By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo Needs More Exclusives to Beat PS3 and Xbox360

Why do people get worked up over this guys predictions, Pachters a nutcase Id rather believe man-bear-pigs crazy predictions ahead of this guys lol

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Akvod said:
I think what Pachter meant to say was that Nintendo needs to develop blockbusters. Not just rehashes of the same game.

Define blockbusters, because otherwise peeps will plop games sales of MK and NSMB till there's no tomorrow.

Stuff like OoT or Mario 64?

I mean, fuck, even Wii Sports.

A solid game that's meant to demonstrate the capabilities of the system.

What game is out there that REALLY shows what the WiiU is really capable of?

Akvod said:

Stuff like OoT or Mario 64?

I mean, fuck, even Wii Sports.

A solid game that's meant to demonstrate the capabilities of the system.

What game is out there that REALLY shows what the WiiU is really capable of?

Ok, you mean high-production games.

But Wii Sports has its equivalent, it's Nintendoland. Same if not higher production value.

Barring Wii Sports (since it doesn't really fit in with OoT and Mario 64), Nintendo should have had one for launch, but lukily Pikmin 3 will be ready for launch window, which is better than nothing.

Ultimately, in year 1, you'll have a 3D Mario, that's the timing since Galaxy was released in 2007, and the 2nd one wasn't the same budget since the engine and almost everything in the game was already there.

happydolphin said:

THQ is out of options bro, on the brink of bankruptcy.

This isn't some stroke of luck, the industry has been plagued with closing studios this generation, it's an opportunity for Nintendo, not some scarce occurrence. Midway (Bankrupt in 2009), Acclaim (Bankrupt in 2004), THQ (on the brink of bankruptcy), and many many others that I don't have off the top of my head, as well as a slew of smaller budding indie studios just begging for financing.

Add the studio behind Kingdom of Amalur to the list. Nintendo could just buy that franchise. Though I would prefer to get it on my Vita... That would be so sweet!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

happydolphin said:
Jumpin said:
runqvist said:
Jumpin said:
I am not sure what point this guy is trying to establish. 9 out of the top 10 exclusive franchises are developed by Nintendo.

Really? What are the top 10 exclusive franchises then?

From the last generation only (No 3DS or WIi U numbers):

Wii Sports/Play - 135 million

Pokemon - 73 million

New Super Mario Bros. - 55 million

Mario Kart - 55 million

Brain Age/Academy - 45 million

Wii Fit - 44 million

Halo 36 million

Super Mario (3D) - 27 million

Nintendogs - 25 million

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics 24 million

And if you don't want to count 3D and 2D Mario as separate franchises, then #11 - Legend of Zelda would be the new #10 at 19 million.
#12 is Gears of War at 18 million, then Animal Crossing and Kinect Sports are each around 17 million. The Dragon Quest games land between 16 and 17 million. Sony is not nearly as powerful a player with exclusive franchises: The highest Sony exclusive franchises were Uncharted and Monster Hunter at 15 million on par with the Professor Layton games, followed by Gran Turismo at 12 million.

These do not include Wii Ware or Virtual console versions of the franchises. Otherwise, Nintendo franchises would be even higher.

The bottom line is that Nintendo is by far the most powerful when it comes to exclusive franchises.

You missed the part where he mentioned attracting the core gamers, as understood as being the PS360 gamers, as incorrect the term may be, since we all know Nintendo core gamers already own Nintendo consoles.

When it comes to the PS360 market, those games don't attract.

/rhetoric

I wouldn't say attracting Microsoft and Sony fans are necessary for winning the generation. They certainly were not last generation where 250 million Nintendo hardware units (Wii and DS), and nearly 1.6 billion software units sold on the hardware. Most videogamers prefer the exclusive franchises offered by Nintendo than those offered by Sony or Microsoft, and this is proven by the fact of the results of the last generation.

So far, with two handhelds already established in the next generation race - you're seeing that this is even more true than it was last generation. Nintendo exclusive franchises on 3DS are dominating Sony's exclusive franchises on Vita to a far greater degree.

Pachter's analysis is simply refuted by facts combined with common sense.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

I wouldn't say attracting Microsoft and Sony fans are necessary for winning the generation. They certainly were not last generation where 250 million Nintendo hardware units (Wii and DS), and nearly 1.6 billion software units sold on the hardware. Most videogamers prefer the exclusive franchises offered by Nintendo than those offered by Sony or Microsoft, and this is proven by the fact of the results of the last generation.

So far, with two handhelds already established in the next generation race - you're seeing that this is even more true than it was last generation. Nintendo exclusive franchises on 3DS are dominating Sony's exclusive franchises on Vita to a far greater degree.

Pachter's analysis is simply refuted by facts combined with common sense.

You are not using common sense, you're bending the rules of reason.

The success of the Wii U in the sphere of the home console sphere is the topic at hand (like the title and OP state), so injecting notions and sales numbers of handhelds is not contributing to a sound argument. Otherwise, the N64 was a success in the Playstation era. We know that, relatively to its competition, that was not the case for Nintendo, as its brand image was greatly damaged in the home console space during that generation and the one after it.

Great, now that I've cleared that out, let's actually get to the heart of the topic.

The Wii was a runaway success by catering to a market that was mostly age and taste agnostic. That lead to wins on the casual and non-gamer front, but led to losses on the traditional gamer front, to which Sony and MS were both catering much more instensively as manufacturers (3rd and 1st party offerings).

As such, comparing the Wii to its competition, it lost an opportunity in customers that resulted in 140m HW sold units for the competition (PS360) which Nintendo did not participate in to any considerable degree (as shown by sales of top blockbusting multiplats - COD, EA Sports, etc.).

So no, his analysis is not refuted at all, and there is a lot of truth to what he is saying, it's just that his solution stinks.

Jumpin said:
runqvist said:
Jumpin said:
I am not sure what point this guy is trying to establish. 9 out of the top 10 exclusive franchises are developed by Nintendo.

Really? What are the top 10 exclusive franchises then?

From the last generation only (No 3DS or WIi U numbers):

Wii Sports/Play - 135 million

Pokemon - 73 million

New Super Mario Bros. - 55 million

Mario Kart - 55 million

Brain Age/Academy - 45 million

Wii Fit - 44 million

Halo 36 million

Super Mario (3D) - 27 million

Nintendogs - 25 million

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics 24 million

And if you don't want to count 3D and 2D Mario as separate franchises, then #11 - Legend of Zelda would be the new #10 at 19 million.
#12 is Gears of War at 18 million, then Animal Crossing and Kinect Sports are each around 17 million. The Dragon Quest games land between 16 and 17 million. Sony is not nearly as powerful a player with exclusive franchises: The highest Sony exclusive franchises were Uncharted and Monster Hunter at 15 million on par with the Professor Layton games, followed by Gran Turismo at 12 million.

These do not include Wii Ware or Virtual console versions of the franchises. Otherwise, Nintendo franchises would be even higher.

The bottom line is that Nintendo is by far the most powerful when it comes to exclusive franchises.

Here is an edited list of exclusive top 10 franchises on wii.

Wii Sports/Play/Fit  - a shitload of sales

Mario whatnot - a lot of sales

Zelda - 15.4m sales

Since we are talking about home consoles, there is little point to list handheld franchise numbers. 

yes mr. patcher... Nintendo know what they need to do and they already did ... JC why this guy always made my days?! Lol

sepoer said:

yes mr. patcher... Nintendo know what they need to do and they already did...

Did they? What makes you think so? What exactly have they already done? As for now the only thing they did was release a console a tad stronger than PS360 and get Bayo2. Nothing that allows us to say that Nintendo will get the core gamers back. Yes, they will get their exclusives. Yes, they will be very good and will sell. But will gamers care about any other games on the Wii U? Or will that remain in the Sony/MS sphere? We still have to wait at least 2 years to see if the Wii U manages to become anything more than Gamecube 2.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

DélioPT said:
Suppposing THQ shuts down, what if Nintendo ended up buying the Darksiders IP and decided to give it to Retro? Sweeet.

I know, right?! :D

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.