By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo Needs More Exclusives to Beat PS3 and Xbox360

happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:

Well, getting Bayo2 was kind of... by chance, if you will. Platinum had been rejected by Sega, so Nintendo stepped in. But I don't know how often that happens. I imagine it to be quite difficult for Ninty to swoop in and hand out money to smaller studios...  And I think that THQ really wants to go multiplat with all their games; Darksiders2 probably cost a few 100k to port over, and if they sell 300k copies they would have made back their money (I think). And considering the difficulties THQ is in I can't see how they only would opt to release games on Wii U... The chance of failure is much higher that way.

THQ is out of options bro, on the brink of bankruptcy.

This isn't some stroke of luck, the industry has been plagued with closing studios this generation, it's an opportunity for Nintendo, not some scarce occurrence. Midway (Bankrupt in 2009), Acclaim (Bankrupt in 2004), THQ (on the brink of bankruptcy), and many many others that I don't have off the top of my head, as well as a slew of smaller budding indie studios just begging for financing.

But the question is if THQ would go exclusive for a while (or a whole generation)... They'd lose out on their PS360 fans that bought Darksiders1&2 and many other games that haven't shown up on a Nintendo console...

Yes, it could be a fantastic opportunity for Nintendo to get 2ns party studios, or simply giving them projects to do and paying them to develop games. But have they? Not as far as I know. The only game they swooped up is Bayo2... And that's a fault from Nintendo imo. They're not doing enough to secure games.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

Wii U: Nintendo 'Needs More Exclusives' To Beat PS3, Xbox 360 - Pachter

Michael Pachter tells us what Nintendo needs to do for the future of Nintendo's Wii U.

Despite the launch issues surrounding the Wii U, Nintendo has had a fairly successful launch. It's not clear skies for the new console, however, as Pachter believes it still has a lot of work to do to bring in the core console market.

Speaking with NowGamer, Pachter said there was "no telling what Nintendo has planned," and that the Wii U still needs to convince a large group of people.

"I'm still not sold on the console as being significantly different than current generation consoles," said Pachter, "and am interested personally only in the exclusive software."

It's the Nintendo-made games that will ultimately sell the console, claims Pachter: "I think that Nintendo needs more exclusives to differentiate the Wii U, and am pessimistic that they will be able to deliver them next year."

Pachter is also down on Nintendo's capabilities with online functionality, too. "In particular, it is essential that the Wii U has the same online multiplayer functionality as the others, or they will have trouble attracting Call of Duty players, for example."

Whether Nintendo will manage this or not Pachter didn't say, but it's clear Nintendo still has a lot of work to do.

Will you be buying a Wii U this week, or are you letting Nintendo's next-gen console pass you by?

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1697229/wii_u_nintendo_needs_more_exclusives_to_beat_ps3_xbox_360_pachter.html

Kinda like stating the obvious? I'm guessing he's talking about 3rd party support or something, because Wii U got... like... Nintendo games?

Their concern is ps4 and nextbox. Sony and Microsoft will pull the plug on these consoles eventually. Why does this guy fixate on last gen?

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
Suppposing THQ shuts down, what if Nintendo ended up buying the Darksiders IP and decided to give it to Retro? Sweeet.

I know, right?! :D

Meh..  We need Retro focusing on Nintendo franchises. What a waste to get them to do a Darksiders game.

cunger said:
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
Suppposing THQ shuts down, what if Nintendo ended up buying the Darksiders IP and decided to give it to Retro? Sweeet.

Meh..  We need Retro focusing on Nintendo franchises. What a waste to get them to do a Darksiders game.

Well, yeah, you're quite right. But it would be a blast to see Darksiders in the hands of Nintendo!! They could publish the next game (if there is a next game)

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

I think Nintendo could do a great work with the franchise!
The series has great potential.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

But the question is if THQ would go exclusive for a while (or a whole generation)... They'd lose out on their PS360 fans that bought Darksiders1&2 and many other games that haven't shown up on a Nintendo console...

Yes, it could be a fantastic opportunity for Nintendo to get 2ns party studios, or simply giving them projects to do and paying them to develop games. But have they? Not as far as I know. The only game they swooped up is Bayo2... And that's a fault from Nintendo imo. They're not doing enough to secure games.

We ultimately agree.

As for THQ, well, it's not like they have the longer end of the stick, if you know what I mean. When you have no choice, anything'll do.

happydolphin said:
Jumpin said:

I wouldn't say attracting Microsoft and Sony fans are necessary for winning the generation. They certainly were not last generation where 250 million Nintendo hardware units (Wii and DS), and nearly 1.6 billion software units sold on the hardware. Most videogamers prefer the exclusive franchises offered by Nintendo than those offered by Sony or Microsoft, and this is proven by the fact of the results of the last generation.

So far, with two handhelds already established in the next generation race - you're seeing that this is even more true than it was last generation. Nintendo exclusive franchises on 3DS are dominating Sony's exclusive franchises on Vita to a far greater degree.

Pachter's analysis is simply refuted by facts combined with common sense.

You are not using common sense, you're bending the rules of reason.

The success of the Wii U in the sphere of the home console sphere is the topic at hand (like the title and OP state), so injecting notions and sales numbers of handhelds is not contributing to a sound argument. Otherwise, the N64 was a success in the Playstation era. We know that, relatively to its competition, that was not the case for Nintendo, as its brand image was greatly damaged in the home console space during that generation and the one after it.

Great, now that I've cleared that out, let's actually get to the heart of the topic.

The Wii was a runaway success by catering to a market that was mostly age and taste agnostic. That lead to wins on the casual and non-gamer front, but led to losses on the traditional gamer front, to which Sony and MS were both catering much more instensively as manufacturers (3rd and 1st party offerings).

As such, comparing the Wii to its competition, it lost an opportunity in customers that resulted in 140m HW sold units for the competition (PS360) which Nintendo did not participate in to any considerable degree (as shown by sales of top blockbusting multiplats - COD, EA Sports, etc.).

So no, his analysis is not refuted at all, and there is a lot of truth to what he is saying, it's just that his solution stinks.

...And in the real world, Nintendo`s traditional gaming franchises - particularly their most iconic traditional gaming franchises: 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart saw their greatest successes on the Wii and DS platforms respectively. It is no coincidence that these platforms are contemporaries of each other. This is simply the factual state of things.

In the real world, common sense dictates that the Wii and DS fanbases are both the same fanbases, and wouldn't be two separate fanbases which coincindentally have strikingly parallel gaming interests. Common sense also dictates that since their most traditionally significant franchises from over the last 25 years have grown in sales, that their traditional fanbase has grown, and not shrunk as you have said.

No matter how you slice it, Nintendo controls the most powerful exclusive franchises in the videogame industry. Facts are facts, and facts do refute his statement.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

If they were going to buy the Darksiders franchise, why not just keep the team that made the first two games?

I'm sure the team would be quite happy to find a new employer rather than everyone have to find new jobs.

Jumpin said:

...And in the real world, Nintendo`s traditional gaming franchises - particularly their most iconic traditional gaming franchises: 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart saw their greatest successes on the Wii and DS platforms respectively. It is no coincidence that these platforms are contemporaries of each other. This is simply the factual state of things.

In the real world, common sense dictates that the Wii and DS fanbases are both the same fanbases, and wouldn't be two separate fanbases which coincindentally have strikingly parallel gaming interests. Common sense also dictates that since their most traditionally significant franchises from over the last 25 years have grown in sales, that their traditional fanbase has grown, and not shrunk as you have said.

No matter how you slice it, Nintendo controls the most powerful exclusive franchises in the videogame industry. Facts are facts, and facts do refute his statement.

I don't disagree with anything you've said in this post, I disagreed with your earlier post which counted the DS and Wii sales to a total of 250m units to answer OP, in which pachter is clearly speaking about WiiU vs PSNextbox.

So, now you're shifting the goalposts, again.

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

I think Nintendo could do a great work with the franchise!
The series has great potential.

I think so too! I'm currently playing the first game, and I really like it! Unfortunately I'm playing on PC, so the controls kinda suck...  But I wouldn't want it to become... Japanised.