By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The REAL Problem With Xbox Live (OPINION)

KylieDog said:
Party chat fucking sucks, nothing worse than play team games and some twat is busy chatting to his friend in another game, meaning cannot hear his team do things like suggest a stategy, or just hear warnings/warn people to look at to the left, right, whatever, let him now if going to pass, cross or whatever else in Fifa etc etc, a billion things being useful to hear.

I don't think you understand what party chat actually is...if you're in an online game on a team with someone else who's in a party you can't hear what they're saying, so it doesn't affect you in the slightest.

Around the Network
riderz13371 said:
kowenicki said:
And to paraphrase a famous sig,

I love paying for LIVE and I love that my love for paying for LIVE annoys others.

It doesn't annoy me that you use your own money to pay for something. It annoys me that Microsoft is getting away in making you pay for features that should be accessible for free.

All though I agree a little with the sentiment, I think the fact that you think this is because you feel entitled to having those features for free because others have it.  
I do kind of find it funny, though, that people who are xbox fans who pay for Live complain about other gaming consoles having to buy something extra to access something else on it, yet they have to do the exact same thing, except pay more.  Now THAT is something I find kind of dumb.

green_sky said:
ps3-sales! said:
Don't know why OP is getting all the hate. I though the article was well thought out and didn't take too many personal jabs at microsoft.
With that said, as a Sony gamer I agree. Xbox live is overall the better experience pound4pound, but price is an obstacle.

Put party chat on PSN and I wonder what the real differences would be..... But Sony doesn't like to please their fans so that's probably not going to happen :(

It's not about pleasing fans. They are just not able to do that because of lack of ram. Unless they lied about that. 

Honest question here. Why do people want to talk to others who are playing a different game. 

It's actually a great feature on the xbox. To just talk to anyone of your friends whatever game they are playing.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Those who DO NOT PAY for xbox live will spend that money on a game every YEAR. Then free access to Netflix, chat etc on other platforms.....eg: PC, Wii-U, PS3.....holla.

SHIT JUST GOT REAL!

slowmo said:
green_sky said:

It's not about pleasing fans. They are just not able to do that because of lack of ram. Unless they lied about that. 

Honest question here. Why do people want to talk to others who are playing a different game. 

I can be playing a single player game like Skyrim when my friends come online then they can drop me a party invite which I can accept and chat to them.  If I want i can then leave my game and join them to play.  If youre in a game lobby you can invite the entire party in a few button presses.  I've also used it a lot when me and friends have been playing through the likes of Assassins Creed, Batman,  etc.  Its just easier to arrange gaming sessions and more sociable when you're gaming.  It really has changed the way I game personally.

Oh. I see. I guess we just text each other or text message through ps3. Something i've noticed is not that many people use headsets on ps3 (COD) compared to 360 when i am over at my friend's house. Some kids are blazing music through their headsets.

Around the Network

me and my girlfriend had to buy an Xbox live subscription when our wi-fi couldn't reach the Wii in the new house (didn't think about purchasing a LAN adapter at the time). It's bullshit that I had to spend $60 on Xbox Live just to use a Netflix app on it when my Wii U comes with it for free. This is one of the reasons why I stick with Computer/Nintendo gaming, it's just cheaper. Xbox Live is not a consumer friendly service, but a cash cow for Microsoft.

slowmo said:
riderz13371 said:
slowmo said:
Pretty sure you experienced neither Party chat or Netflix on the 360 5 years ago which basically makes your opinion worth jack shit as you are unable to quantify objectively how it compares to the service offered by the PS3. How is this baiting thread still open when this whining has been done to death already in hundreds of threads.

Please release some games soon Sony and give your bored fans something to do with their time instead of hating on superior products...

Party Chat - Talk to friends while they play other games

Netflix - Same as on PS3 and Wii. What's the difference other than paying twice?

All these articles are justifiable. Dude listen I could care less if you spend your money paying for xbox live. More power to you. I just feel really bad that Microsoft is getting away with it. Don't bring in the Sony vs Microsoft vs Nintendo shit in here. As I said I was writing this in a gamers perspective, not a fanboy perspective. 

Last year when PSN was down I could still watch Netflix on my 360.  You cannot have an objective debate when you ignore the fact that by paying for Live you get benefits such as a superior anti cheat policy, better more reliable infrastructure, gold accounts cost money so people are less likely to misbehavior.  You're also paying for all the extra services to be linked through in a more seamless experience. You brought the PS3 into this not me....

Look at the bold - I brought the PS3 into this right? Okay.

MB1025 said:
I hate the argument with the Apps. No one is buying an Xbox to watch Netflix as the number 1 reason to get it. Netflix is an app/service that Xbox Live Gold members get to use. So please stop using that baseless argument.

If Sony started charging for their online service will you pay it so you can play online? Because if you do you and everyone else who has complained over the years then become hypocrites.

Xbox live Gold members do not get to use Netflix. You have to pay to use netflix. It's a subscription within a subscription (inception, I know). If you are a gold member you simply get the OPTION to pay for Netflix, not the right to instantly use it and watch movies/tv shows. As for your second question, no I would not pay Sony so that I can play online. I would by a decent pc and go into pc gaming. 

I'll throw in my two bits:

SegaNet came out in like the year 2000 and it cost like $20 a month. Xbox Live came out in like 2002 and it offered a pretty awesome online service (at the time) for $50 a year. People felt that it was more than worth it. So, when the Xbox 360 came out, it offered a much improved service for the same price.

Nintendo's online doesn't even come close to Sony or Microsoft's (though the Wii U's is a step in the right direction). PC has always been a different beast altogether. So, we'll keep this between Microsoft and Sony.

Maybe it's already been said but Sony offers a comparable service to Xbox Live for free. Some people may actually even prefer Sony's service. Me? I prefer Xbox Live. When Sony was selling the PS3 for $600, free online was one of the things they touted to get customers to pick the PS3 over the Xbox 360. Initially, was a huge improvement over the bare bones service of the PS2 (compared to Xbox Live on the original Xbox) but it didn't hold a candle to what the Xbox 360 was offering. Xbox Live was definitely worth $50 by comparison back in 2007. As time progressed, Sony offered more and more value to their free service just like Microsoft offered more and more value to their paid service.

Microsoft didn't feel the need to lower the price of their profitable service. Why should they? It was worth $50 in 2002 so it should be worth the similar amount in 2012 considering the improvements, right? Did your cable bill from 2000 get lower because the internet offered much of the content for free? So, if anything, Sony should have probably charged more for the PSN and all of the improvements they implemented over the years. Maybe they wouldn't be in the shape they are in right now. Despite how many people may feel, this is a business and it's Sony and Microsoft's job to make money.

The Joker said (in The Dark Knight) that "If you're good at something, never do it for free." The Joker would be very disappointed in Sony.

JayWood2010 said:
riderz13371 said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Like I said, Sony fans are getting very desperate....What is next threads how PS3 is more powerfull than the Wii U? I wished Sony had made some (great) games for them this holiday...

Like I said, I was writing this article in the perspective of a gamer not a Sony/Nintendo fanboy. If only you took the time to read after the first sentence.

no this was not from a gamers perspective.  This was from your perspective.  People who play on XBL are happy with it.  Not going to lie, all these threads are getting annoying real quick and I believe you've made a few of them, I could be wrong but it really is getting tiring.  People could easily make threads bashing PSN or PSN+ which Im 100% positive is your favorite platform so if you are going to keep making these type of threads that draw console wars prepare.

BTW Im not even positive that Part chat came out when you said you were on XBL.  It was just cross game private chat for a long time.

I haven't made any other threads regarding the issues with xbox live. And as I said (if you even read what I wrote) go ahead and make threads bashing psn or psn+ or even nintendo. But you didn't read that part did you? This is from a gamers perspective, because as a gamer the type of services microsoft is offering are simply not worth my money. Of course people who pay for xbox live are happy with it, as was I when I had it in 07. I'm sure it's definitly improved, but once I found out I could have online for free on a different platform...I was gone.