By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Name a "hardcore/mature" game that doesn't indulge adolescent male fantasies?

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

COD is all about reflex. The person who knows the map and has the quickest reflexes wins. Granted, it is a pick up and play title. Its not exactly Battlefield or Counterstrike, but it has its merits. I wouldn't put mario on that level, I was playing mario at the age of four. I dont think I would've mastered COD or even been allowed near that game at that age.

Mario has a good learning curve, I can admit, but the further levels get more challenging, and even harder as luigi. It takes skill to play as well and is quite difficult to me personally.

Also, kids play COD, believe it or not. :(

I know kids play COD (LOL The video was funny). Most parents ignore esrb ratings to shut their kids up when buying these games. Funny thing, its mostly mothers being neglectful. My mother would've never let me touch this game. I would have to find a friend with a parent that doesn't care. lol That kid is going to be trouble in school for his teachers. Twas funny when he had to be saved though "SAVE ME!"

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I know kids play COD (LOL The video was funny). Most parents ignore esrb ratings to shut their kids up when buying these games. Funny thing, its mostly mothers being neglectful. My mother would've never let me touch this game. I would have to find a friend with a parent that doesn't care. lol That kid is going to be trouble in school for his teachers. Twas funny when he had to be saved though "SAVE ME!"

Yeah, he was being nutty :)

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Its a casual and gamer draw, but no I wouldn't consider it amongst hardcore games. As a lifelong gamer, it would consider it nostalgia by now. I can't get mario out of my system.

Why not, underlined is what I want to know, why not? What makes a game hardcore, that it requires skill?

When I grew up playing super mario I only needed two buttons to jump and spit fire. The skill came at how much enemies and environments hurled themselves at you and how you best avoided them. I played harder games as a child. Complex control schemes in hardcore games are demanding and really demand mastering of complex control schemes. Also, we know the audience has grown up, which is why these games have these mature themes and stories. Nintendo knows exactly who they are trying to get the attention of with Super Mario, but everyone can play the game. Mario Sunshine was probably as hardcore as its ever going to get for Mario. 

blackstarr said:
Mummelmann said:
Is this a thread to show that "mature" games on PS360 are stupid and childish?

Maybe a thread to show that "mature" games have very little likelihood of ever attracting a female audience. Note the focus on adolescent male fantasies.

I'd much rather prefer games that indulge adolescent male fantasies than adolescent female fantasies. I... I don't even know what those games would look like.

I could argue that Miyamoto's entire career was based on indulging his "adolescent" male fantasies, since all of his games are products of his childhood. 

Given the OP's history, I think my guess is more likely. And I can't say that he's entirely wrong either, most "mature" games are a tad silly and many are downright bad.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

When I grew up playing super mario I only needed two buttons to jump and spit fire. The skill came at how much enemies and environments hurled themselves at you and how you best avoided them. I played harder games as a child. Complex control schemes in hardcore games are demanding and really demand mastering of complex control schemes. Also, we know the audience has grown up, which is why these games have these mature themes and stories. Nintendo knows exactly who they are trying to get the attention of with Super Mario, but everyone can play the game. Mario Sunshine was probably as hardcore as its ever going to get for Mario.

To this day, I still find completing Super Mario Bros. on the NES a challenge.

Does complexity of controls really make a game hardcore, or does the difficulty level make it more hardcore (catering to advanced gamers)?

Around the Network

Majora's Mask.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

BenVTrigger said:
Assassins Creed doesnt have one thing you mentioned. Neither does Halo. Or tons of other M rated ganes for that matter......

Sex scenes in AC.

Super soldiers in Halo.

Command & Conquer
Transformers War/Fall of Cybertron
Enslaved
Tomb Raider
Portal
Mirrors Edge
Fable
Star Wars games in general
Alan Wake

I'm sure I could come up with a ton more if I had to. But since I don't, this is what I come up with off the top of my head.

Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime trilogy...

BasilZero said:
brendude13 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Assassins Creed doesnt have one thing you mentioned. Neither does Halo. Or tons of other M rated ganes for that matter......

Sex scenes in AC.

Super soldiers in Halo.

Wait which one?

Both I think. I specifically remember one at the start of Brotherhood though because I started playing it again a few days ago.