By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Name a "hardcore/mature" game that doesn't indulge adolescent male fantasies?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
happydolphin said:

Looking it from that perspective, Mario will be considered much less complex, because the AI is poor in comparison. I think the level design is what makes mario challenging, and not the enemies. For example, New Super Mario Bros. 2 has a very hard DLC from what I saw, and it takes real skill to complete it. Though the enemies are simple, their placement and the speed required, as well as the availability of platform make it challenging to the core.

It all depends on what is our yardstick. But in the end, if challenge is the aspect we're measuring, AI is only one metric by which we can evaluate it.

Dont difficulty settings do that for us?

Most of the time. Some games don't have difficulty settings, and can be made to be as difficult as you want them to be.

An example is Mario Galaxy. When you play a level, you can try to collect all the coins. In certain levels, that can be really challenging. Just one term and you'll know what I mean: Rolling Gizmo galaxy.

Around the Network
binary solo said:

Has it been mentioned already? Valkyria Chronicles, my favourite game of the generation to date, and the game for which I bought the PS3.

Fast cars: Nope slow tanks

sex scenes: Nope, but genuine love and affection

unnecessary/unrealistic profanity: Nope, very clean dialogue

super soldiers: Nope, a rag tag group of weekend warriors with a head in the clouds biologist to lead them. Although Rosie does become pretty kick arse once she's leveled up a bit, and if you've played the DLC that gives her Selvaria's weapon. Oh and Alicia turning into a Valkyria, but that's at the end and it doesn't play a major role in the battles.

lone survivor of the zombie apocalypse: nope, no zombies.

One minor concession to the sex thing: there are the occasional up-skirt shots when female soldiers are lying down hiding from the enemy in long grass, you can see their underwear. But that's not a sex scene per se.

You need to spoiler tag your spoilers.  It didn't ruin anything for me, but being that VC is such a low played game by the masses, you could easily spoil it for someone else.

Check out my Youtube Let's Play channel here.

Pyro as Bill said:

Fast cars, sex scenes, unnecessary/unrealistic profanity, super soldiers, lone survivor of the zombie apocalypse.

Wii Sports

I will do the exact opposite and name the top 3 ridiculously macho and completely immaturely mature games:

3.Halo, 2.Gears... and the ultimate 15 year old male gamer magnet 1.God of War

Crono141 said:
binary solo said:

Has it been mentioned already? Valkyria Chronicles, my favourite game of the generation to date, and the game for which I bought the PS3.

Fast cars: Nope slow tanks

sex scenes: Nope, but genuine love and affection

unnecessary/unrealistic profanity: Nope, very clean dialogue

super soldiers: Nope, a rag tag group of weekend warriors with a head in the clouds biologist to lead them. Although Rosie does become pretty kick arse once she's leveled up a bit, and if you've played the DLC that gives her Selvaria's weapon. Oh and Alicia turning into a Valkyria, but that's at the end and it doesn't play a major role in the battles.

lone survivor of the zombie apocalypse: nope, no zombies.

One minor concession to the sex thing: there are the occasional up-skirt shots when female soldiers are lying down hiding from the enemy in long grass, you can see their underwear. But that's not a sex scene per se.

You need to spoiler tag your spoilers.  It didn't ruin anything for me, but being that VC is such a low played game by the masses, you could easily spoil it for someone else.

Thanks for the reminder. Such an old game in the generation I didn't consider the spoiler element. Fixed now.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Rockband. hey it' not all sex drugs and rock n roll!