By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo and COD get GOTY snub at the VGA

Fun Fact: Both Borderlands 2 and Halo 4 are up for 8 nominations. More than any of the Goty Nominees.

AC3 is up for 6.
Journey is up for 7.
Dishonored-7
Mass Effect 3-3
The Walking Dead-6

Just thought I would point that out.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Fun Fact: Both Borderlands 2 and Halo 4 are up for 8 nominations. More than any of the Goty Nominees.

AC3 is up for 6.
Journey is up for 7.
Dishonored-7
Mass Effect 3-3
The Walking Dead-6

AC 3 and Walking Dead should be off the list. I am sure this all comes down to politics.

SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
^^^ A $15 2 hour game (which I played for 20+ hours and still come back to) does not deserve on the list, but a $60 6 hour game, Dishonered, does? (which took me 12 hours)

Length doesn't mean a thing, Halo 4's campaign isn't very long either, the multiplayer experience makes the game just as it does for Journey.

I'm glad that something that isn't a sequel gets the recognition that it deserves.
AC3 it's the 5th game really, Halo 4 -> 7th game?

If you are going to talk about what I said then reply to me next time.  You are 1 person.  The majority of people wont play Journey more than even 4 hours.  Halo has a ton more content than just storyline and you know this so don't even bring up one aspect of a game.  Journey is good but to be on the game of the year list excluding games like Halo 4, Borderlands 2, and multiple others that has much more content, playability, and amazing games in there own way is a slap to the face.  If Journey was a $60 game nobody would have even talked about it.  Why? because it isnt worth $60

Originality and quality of the experience trumps content in my book. I don't know what you mean by much more playability. I paid $45 in the end for Journey, download version and boxed version, I've paid $60 for games I have spend less time with.
Journey moved me as it did many others, Halo 4 was fun with great production values but in the end more of the same.

I never said it wasn't a quality game nor did I say it wasnt original. But a 2 hour long $15 dollar game should not be on this list because if it was $60 it wouldnt have gotten half the praise it did.  Stop talking about your own personal experience as that is not the majority. I played 25 hours of halo 4 in the first week.  Does that mean everybody did? No.

smroadkill15 said:

AC3 is up for 6.
Journey is up for 7.
Dishonored-7
Mass Effect 3-3
The Walking Dead-6

This^ because both of those games should be on the list.

JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
^^^ A $15 2 hour game (which I played for 20+ hours and still come back to) does not deserve on the list, but a $60 6 hour game, Dishonered, does? (which took me 12 hours)

Length doesn't mean a thing, Halo 4's campaign isn't very long either, the multiplayer experience makes the game just as it does for Journey.

I'm glad that something that isn't a sequel gets the recognition that it deserves.

If you are going to talk about what I said then reply to me next time.  You are 1 person.  The majority of people wont play Journey more than even 4 hours.  Halo has a ton more content than just storyline and you know this so don't even bring up one aspect of a game.  Journey is good but to be on the game of the year list excluding games like Halo 4, Borderlands 2, and multiple others that has much more content, playability, and amazing games in there own way is a slap to the face.  If Journey was a $60 game nobody would have even talked about it.  Why? because it isnt worth $60

Originality and quality of the experience trumps content in my book. I don't know what you mean by much more playability. I paid $45 in the end for Journey, download version and boxed version, I've paid $60 for games I have spend less time with.
Journey moved me as it did many others, Halo 4 was fun with great production values but in the end more of the same.

I never said it wasn't a quality game nor did I say it wasnt original. But a 2 hour long $15 dollar game should not be on this list because if it was $60 it wouldnt have gotten half the praise it did.  Stop talking about your own personal experience as that is not the majority. I played 25 hours of halo 4 in the first week.  Does that mean everybody did? No.

I can see why people want it to be GOTY and regardless of how long it is it is still a game. People have been calling GOTY all year for this underrated downloadable game. Let it have its nomination.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:

I can see why people want it to be GOTY and regardless of how long it is it is still a game. People have been calling GOTY all year for this underrated downloadable game. Let it have its nomination.

Oh I agree that it should be nominated fo plenty of things, just not goty.  VGA seems to always make some weird decisions but I think this year has been the worst.  The Walking Dead has got to be the worst decision for GoTY I've seen.  

I don't think Journey is underated either.  It seems about right, it's what a 90 on metacritic?  It may be under sold but not under rated

JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:

I simply don't agree with you that price and length should be criteria for goty nominations.
By your logic is Halo 4 worth $240? For some people it might be, as I would pay $60 for Journey, for the vast majority it is not.
It was made as a $15 game, and for what they did with it it deserves goty.

SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:

I simply don't agree with you that price and length should be criteria for goty nominations.
By your logic is Halo 4 worth $240? For some people it might be, as I would pay $60 for Journey, for the vast majority it is not.
It was made as a $15 game, and for what they did with it it deserves goty.

What I'm saying is it is not good enough for people to pay $60 but Halo 4 and Borderlands is.  That is why it should not be on this list.  It's like the whole Angry Bird thing.  Is it worth 99 cents.  Well yes.  Would you pay 15$ for it.  No I wouldnt, some yes.  Would you pay $60 for it?  Unless you are crazy then no you wouldnt.

If Journey was a full priced game the metacritic would have dropped big time because the length of the game and because it is not worth that price.  Be logical about this, if Journey was $60 it would not be in the discussion and you know that

EDIT:  Because I know youll probably try and skate around this one too answer this for me.  If Journey was a full priced $60 game do you think it would be on the GoTY list?  Be honest

JayWood2010 said:

EDIT:  Because I know youll probably try and skate around this one too answer this for me.  If Journey was a full priced $60 game do you think it would be on the GoTY list?  Be honest

For me YES!!!

That's not about price or lenght... it's about quality and overall experience.

ethomaz said:

JayWood2010 said:

For me YES!!!

That's not about price or lenght... it's about quality and overall experience.

This seems to be the consensus from the majority who have played it.