By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo and COD get GOTY snub at the VGA

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wagram said:
Personally think Final Fantasy XIII-2 deserved a nomination for best RPG. Granted I doubt it would have won against Xenoblade/Mass Effect 3, but they still deserved a mention.

Final Fantasy has fallen off the face of the earth. The list seems to be fine.

Everyone has their opinion. Granted I feel that CoD has never been even worthy of best shooter category, but it seems others do.

My favorite game this generation 'The Last Remnant' is often looked down upon as "more garbage from SE" but i loved it.

Around the Network

JayWood2010 said:

*sigh* keep skating around it.  If it was the exact same game as now and $60.  You knew that is what I was asking

I understand that but you are playing with something that didn't happen... I can say yes, maybe or not... all answers is wrong because I can't predict how this game should be if it would cost $60.

The only think I can say for sure... I will buy this game even if it was $60... I bought it in the first day without bothering with the price (I did the same with Unfinished Swan and others games).

Wagram said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wagram said:
Personally think Final Fantasy XIII-2 deserved a nomination for best RPG. Granted I doubt it would have won against Xenoblade/Mass Effect 3, but they still deserved a mention.

Final Fantasy has fallen off the face of the earth. The list seems to be fine.

Everyone has their opinion. Granted I feel that CoD has never been even worthy of best shooter category, but it seems others do.

My favorite game this generation 'The Last Remnant' is often looked down upon as "more garbage from SE" but i loved it.

Ahah! But its like a game of chess! If you snub one COD one year, it'll just keep coming out the next year!

Wow Halo 4 doesn't even get a nomination for GOTY? That is just sad.

Areym said:
kain_kusanagi said:
007BondAgent said:
The vga's did something right, halo or cod didn't innovate enough to warrant a goty nomination.

As a fan of Halo, who has replayed each Halo game several times, I can tell you that Halo 4 is the best Halo, one of the best games of all time and deserves nomination for best game of the year. It inovated in all the right ways and maintained what needed to be maintained.

As a non-halo, who has only played Halo reach for mere minutes, I say nope. It's the same thing, in a different location. See how that works?

OT: Well excuse VGA for actually for trying to add some variety into the mix. Halo and COD for game of the year would have been a snore fest either. I'm sure they will win big in their own categories but to see games like Dishonored, Journey, TWD, new IP from this gen is very refresing. What's even better is seen that 4 out of the 5 GotY selections are multiplat. 

Excuse me if I don't take seriously the opinion of someone who admits to having almost no Halo experience.

Halo 4 has not left my Xbox 360 since it came out and I've only played about 3 multiplayer sessions. The multiplayer is a refinment of the last, but the campaign is the best I've played in a long time. The only game that even comes close this year is Mass Effect 3.

Around the Network

As far as I'm concerned, Halo 4 was the only good game this year. People will argue for Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed III, and Borderlands 2, but IMO, Halo 4 is just a better package, and more fun. There honestly just wasn't a game within the first 8 months of the year that truly captivated anyone, everyone was too busy Skyrim'ing, Dark Souls'ing, MW3'ing and Battlefield 3'ing to care about any releases this year. Sony exclusives flopped, Microsoft had nothing interesting, and, well, I personally dgaf for Nintendo. I think Halo 4 should be allowed to win GOTY; Mass Effect 3 and AC3 seemed like an overall disappointment to the gaming community. Also, it seems as if Borderlands 2 was more enjoyable due to the shockingly large amount of content and quests and easter eggs in the game rather then the game itself. Halo 4...just had better productive values, addicting gameplay, interesting storyline, and a continuing storyline that extends the original campaign way beyond the time that they game launches in order to keep people interested and playing..Halo 4 deserves GOTY. /rant

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:

Originality and quality of the experience trumps content in my book. I don't know what you mean by much more playability. I paid $45 in the end for Journey, download version and boxed version, I've paid $60 for games I have spend less time with.
Journey moved me as it did many others, Halo 4 was fun with great production values but in the end more of the same.

I never said it wasn't a quality game nor did I say it wasnt original. But a 2 hour long $15 dollar game should not be on this list because if it was $60 it wouldnt have gotten half the praise it did.  Stop talking about your own personal experience as that is not the majority. I played 25 hours of halo 4 in the first week.  Does that mean everybody did? No.

I simply don't agree with you that price and length should be criteria for goty nominations.
By your logic is Halo 4 worth $240? For some people it might be, as I would pay $60 for Journey, for the vast majority it is not.
It was made as a $15 game, and for what they did with it it deserves goty.

What I'm saying is it is not good enough for people to pay $60 but Halo 4 and Borderlands is.  That is why it should not be on this list.  It's like the whole Angry Bird thing.  Is it worth 99 cents.  Well yes.  Would you pay 15$ for it.  No I wouldnt, some yes.  Would you pay $60 for it?  Unless you are crazy then no you wouldnt.

If Journey was a full priced game the metacritic would have dropped big time because the length of the game and because it is not worth that price.  Be logical about this, if Journey was $60 it would not be in the discussion and you know that

EDIT:  Because I know youll probably try and skate around this one too answer this for me.  If Journey was a full priced $60 game do you think it would be on the GoTY list?  Be honest

It is not a $60 game, saying it would not be praised as much as a $60 dollar game is a pointless statement.
Best downloadable game is a category, best shooter is a category, both have equal rights at the goty title imo.

SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:

Originality and quality of the experience trumps content in my book. I don't know what you mean by much more playability. I paid $45 in the end for Journey, download version and boxed version, I've paid $60 for games I have spend less time with.
Journey moved me as it did many others, Halo 4 was fun with great production values but in the end more of the same.

I never said it wasn't a quality game nor did I say it wasnt original. But a 2 hour long $15 dollar game should not be on this list because if it was $60 it wouldnt have gotten half the praise it did.  Stop talking about your own personal experience as that is not the majority. I played 25 hours of halo 4 in the first week.  Does that mean everybody did? No.

I simply don't agree with you that price and length should be criteria for goty nominations.
By your logic is Halo 4 worth $240? For some people it might be, as I would pay $60 for Journey, for the vast majority it is not.

What I'm saying is it is not good enough for people to pay $60 but Halo 4 and Borderlands is.  That is why it should not be on this list.  It's like the whole Angry Bird thing.  Is it worth 99 cents.  Well yes.  Would you pay 15$ for it.  No I wouldnt, some yes.  Would you pay $60 for it?  Unless you are crazy then no you wouldnt.

If Journey was a full priced game the metacritic would have dropped big time because the length of the game and because it is not worth that price.  Be logical about this, if Journey was $60 it would not be in the discussion and you know that

EDIT:  Because I know youll probably try and skate around this one too answer this for me.  If Journey was a full priced $60 game do you think it would be on the GoTY list?  Be honest

It is not a $60 game, saying it would not be praised as much as a $60 dollar game is a pointless statement.
Best downloadable game is a category, best shooter is a category, both have equal rights at the goty title imo.

You still dont answer the question.  If it was a $60 game would it be on the list

No because it is not worth $60.  This is why it should not be on the list regardless if it is good or not. 

JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:
JayWood2010 said:
SvennoJ said:

You still dont answer the question.  If it was a $60 game would it be on the list

No because it is not worth $60.  This is why it should not be on the list regardless if it is good or not. 

Who knows what they could have done with 4 times the budget and another year of development. Maybe it would be a SotC type experience with demon's souls type multiplayer.

It would not be the same game though. It was designed as an experience you can share with a stranger in the time it takes to watch a feature length movie, a 2-3 hour movie, but still doable in one sitting.

Anyway it is called Game of the year award, not $60 Game of the year award or 30 hour plus Game of the year award.

JayWood2010 said:

You don't see how ridiculously arbitrary that qualifier is?  What if someone made a 120 dollar game?  Would that automatically win GOTY assuming it was of good quality?  That's ludicrous, cheaper games with a smaller budget should have just as much of a shot at GOTY as anything else as long as the quality is there.